Chantecaille Loose powder

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Chantecaille Loose powder
Loose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powder

4.4

I'm 44 and this is the only makeup /skincare product I have ever had a really bad allergic reaction to - with my skin just peeling away all over my face in a very noticeable way which other people commented on :( This happened twice (3 weeks apart) and left my face raw and dry for days. The reason is that the powder has a very well known problem ingredient called 'bismuth oxychloride'. Here's what beautypedia says about the irritation it can cause: "Some people react to bismuth oxychloride due to its unique crystalline structure. What happens is that the crystals can "poke" at skin and get stuck in the pores, where the sharper "spokes" can cause irritation". I can tell you this is truly unpleasant!!!

So I definitely recommend you 'try before you buy' this product - even if (like me) you don't normally react to make up.

This is such a beautiful, luxurious, finely milled powder. As a bonus, it is free of talc. It gives a matte yet glowing finish, but it has absolutely no sparkly stuff in it at all. (I loathe sparkly stuff in makeup.) It comes with a first-rate powder puff.

I've been using Laura Mercier loose powder for ages and ages, but this stuff is even nicer. It is expensive, but it's worth it. A container will last a very long time. The color I got is called "subtle," and it goes perfectly with the Future Skin vanilla foundation I wear. There is a lighter shade, called "light," but it is extremely light and only for the super pale. I am fair skinned, and maybe in winter I'll be able to use "light," but for now, "subtle" is perfect.

Now, my only complaint about this is the packaging. The container looks beautiful, but I find it hard to get the powder onto the puff without making a huge mess. Fortunately, I have always put my loose powders into an old Chanel loose powder container that was the best one I've ever had. I've kept it all these years and always transferred my Laura Mercier powder into that Chanel countainer, and now I'm doing the same with Chantecaille. It has a compartment for the powder with a fine-mesh screen, and then there is a screw cap on top of the powder compartment, and the puff sits on top of that screw cap, and then the lid of the powder goes over that. If Chantecaille would make a container like that, then I'd truly be in heaven.

This powder is talc free and looks flawless on the skin. I feel like I am wearing nothing, yet my skin looks even in tone and perfectly matte. It is great on top of any foundation, and on a good skin day. I wear it on it's own. It feels comforrable and looks great! My HG complexion enhancer.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is a fabulous powder that blots out oil without being heavy or overly matte. It's never chalky and looks beautiful in real life as well as in photographs. I so agree with others about the packaging...while it's very pretty, it is so horrible in keeping the product contained. I was doing fine by twisting the top off slowly, but then I DROPPED the container and now it's all lose up in there. I now have to slowly twist the top off over a tissue in order to catch all the fallout. I literally don't have to take it completely off; just a light twist and all this powder falls all over the place. Point being, this would be stellar with better packaging. If I need to take it somewhere or have it in my kit, I need to put it another container - and for the price that it costs, that's unacceptable.

This powder is now my HG. It is so soft and light, yet keeps my skin matte all day. No shimmer, just smooth glowy skin. The package has to be the worst I've seen. Every single time I open it, I lose powder. Makes me angry at this price to have such poor packaging. And I hate to have to switch it. I'll continue to buy, but grudgingly

on 12/15/2007 12:43:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This powder is fine but definitely NOT worth the price. For the price I was hoping for some kind of magical effect & was sorely disappointed

on 1/5/2004 1:00:00 PM

Beautiful finish with subtle sparkles. LOVE the product--HATE the packaging.

on 8/24/2003 5:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

It is one of my two favourite loose powder after purchased over dozen brands - KP is another one which is a bit drier than Chantecaille. The powder is not dry and keeps my combination skin fresh in summer. I have 'light' which is a bit too light for my summer skin tone but it's very sheer and almost looks transparent. My nose has flakey skin occassionally & this powder cover it perfectly.

COMPLAINT: the package design is poor for such a pricy product - the powder tends to spill out easily. 5 lipsticks are given purely for the quality of the powder.

on 4/1/2003 9:38:00 AM

I really like this powder. Finally, a powder that didn't leave a chalky, cakey look. It sets my makeup just fine and leaves a soft, translucent finish that makes my skin glow through.

on 1/23/2003 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I'm a PPP who wants to stay that way; this powder in Light works very well for me. It has a finer consistency than the LM loose powder, never grainy looking. I'd thought it would have a more obvious luminosity about it than it does, although a lot of people have said I look "glowing" lately. I like the sleek silver packaging; it's an elegant addition to my vanity. Will buy this again, even at the $45 price, because loose powder lasts a long time. I use this with a BB blush brush instead of a powder brush.