Chantecaille Loose powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Chantecaille Loose powder
Loose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powder

4.5

This is such a beautiful, luxurious, finely milled powder. As a bonus, it is free of talc. It gives a matte yet glowing finish, but it has absolutely no sparkly stuff in it at all. (I loathe sparkly stuff in makeup.) It comes with a first-rate powder puff.

I've been using Laura Mercier loose powder for ages and ages, but this stuff is even nicer. It is expensive, but it's worth it. A container will last a very long time. The color I got is called "subtle," and it goes perfectly with the Future Skin vanilla foundation I wear. There is a lighter shade, called "light," but it is extremely light and only for the super pale. I am fair skinned, and maybe in winter I'll be able to use "light," but for now, "subtle" is perfect.

Now, my only complaint about this is the packaging. The container looks beautiful, but I find it hard to get the powder onto the puff without making a huge mess. Fortunately, I have always put my loose powders into an old Chanel loose powder container that was the best one I've ever had. I've kept it all these years and always transferred my Laura Mercier powder into that Chanel countainer, and now I'm doing the same with Chantecaille. It has a compartment for the powder with a fine-mesh screen, and then there is a screw cap on top of the powder compartment, and the puff sits on top of that screw cap, and then the lid of the powder goes over that. If Chantecaille would make a container like that, then I'd truly be in heaven.

on 4/10/2014 6:36:00 AM

I really love this finely milled loose powder that doesn't give a matte flat finish, goes nicely over any foundation and I don't find this powder at all drying. My favourite application for this powder is the RT contour brush as I like to use a small brush and do little areas at a time - I have found this makes the powder last longer before needing to touch up.

The metal packaging is luxe and I like that there is a plastic filter inner instead of a netting one as they get really messy. Even though the holes look big I find this doesn't disperse too much product. (as long as its stored right way up).

I'm NC15 and have this in shade "Light" - I would not consider this a translucent powder as it does have some colour to it though very subtle.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I want to marry this stuff. I used LM for many years but it is harder and harder to get in Switzerland even though it is sold her, and paradoxically easier for me to get Chantecaille even though it isn't sold here. For whatever reason the LM loose isn't sent to our counters here but when I am Paris I can pick this stuff up.

The coverage and wear of the Chantecaille is similar to the LM but with the Chantecaille I use far less product. The Chantecaille is finely milled, but not so much that it is blotchy. It doesn't oxidize or cake or settle into my fine lines, of which there are many.

There isn't anything not to love about the Chantecaille, which is only fair given its price tag, but it is a fair price to pay for something that works with minimal fuss.

on 11/7/2012 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I had a mini of this years ago that lasted me years. I used it up and then moved on. Since then I tried many other powders from drugstore to Dept store trying to find a loose setting powder I liked. Who knew it would be so freaking hard?

My criteria(which I didn't know was so discerning): No caking, not too drying, no glitter bomb, no flash in photography, no breakouts, no orangeyness, should be finely milled, lightly scented or no scent.

L'Oreal: caked, flashed, weird scent
Lancome: Absolue: glittery, Mineral: orangey, oxidized
MAC: caked
Clinique: Caked, oxidized
Jane Iredale: Drying, flash
Bare Escentuals: Flash

This powder, though ungodly expensive finally fits all of my categories. The container is huge so it will probably last me 10 years since I only use powder to set certain parts of my face and my mini powder previously lasted 3 years. Really sometimes you just have to give in and bite the bullet. I could have bought the Chantecaille outright instead of buying all of the products above and being disappointed. I am stupid.

Oh the Chantecaille website now has a color guide to let you know what color to buy which I appreciate since the nearest counter to me is 3 hours away so I must online shop. I wear vanilla in Future skin and in the powder I bought Subtle. It is supposed to have a peach undertone which I was a little apprehensive about thinking ORANGE but it is perfect. In MAC I'm NC 25, Bobbi Brown sand.

on 5/1/2012 4:17:00 PM

Fabulous: ultra-fine, non-drying, lasting formula, which delivers a complexion-enhancing, soft-focus result. Pigment (use light) is verging on the translucent with just a hint of fairness, so appropriate for a spectrum of colour complexions.
Generously sized to boot!

on 2/17/2012 10:44:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This powder is great for my combination skin. The "Light" doesn't irritate, clump, or change color. It perfectly compliments my skin tone. I am fair-skinned, usually not the lightest color but the next-to-lightest. I agree with w/plrg's review to leave part of the adhesive over the holes to minimize spillage, and to tap powder into the lid. It is pricey, but worth it.

on 11/30/2010 5:42:00 PM

I really love this loose powder. It doesn't have too much color and never gives a powdery look, which I hate. I use this over the Chantecaille tinted moisturizer and new stick concealer and it keeps it in place all day. The finish is really nice...not too matte, but not shimmery. I really love it and these three products have been a winning combination for me. It is expensive but it lasts a long time.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

As a user of Chantecaille Just Skin, I had been coveting the loose powder for a while. Firstly whilst the packaging isn't the most practical it is beautiful and looks very swish on my dressing table, plus the puff is very soft and a pleasure to use.
I bought the light (which is perfect for my very pale skin), the texture is smooth and airy and goes on extremely sheer. It has no sparkle or shine, but isn't 'flat' on the skin, so it doesn't make you look powdered but still knocks back any shine/oilyness. It doesn't look patchy or make dry areas look worse either.The other thing I like about this powder is it doesn't change the colour of your base or go patchy or cakey.
The only bad thing I can find to say about this powder is the price....you need a small mortgage!
But as it beats Smashbox, Mac, T'LeClerc, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Laura Mercier and countless others (I can't get CDP here which is the only powder I've heard beats the Chantecaille) I will buy it again.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is a fabulous powder that blots out oil without being heavy or overly matte. It's never chalky and looks beautiful in real life as well as in photographs. I so agree with others about the packaging...while it's very pretty, it is so horrible in keeping the product contained. I was doing fine by twisting the top off slowly, but then I DROPPED the container and now it's all lose up in there. I now have to slowly twist the top off over a tissue in order to catch all the fallout. I literally don't have to take it completely off; just a light twist and all this powder falls all over the place. Point being, this would be stellar with better packaging. If I need to take it somewhere or have it in my kit, I need to put it another container - and for the price that it costs, that's unacceptable.

on 8/11/2009 8:35:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I initially got this for a friend and since she raved about it so much I deemed that this is a 'must have' for myself too. =D Its a very popular product and is almost always out of stock at spacenk. But I finally got myself one and I really love it. Its very finely milled and it feels weightless on the skin. I have alot of loose powders and this is one of my favourites. Im not sure if I like this better than my La Mer powder but I definitely like this more than my Nars loose powder which is not as finely milled.