Chantecaille Loose powder

Filtered by age: 44-55
Chantecaille Loose powder
Loose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powder

4.3

I'm 44 and this is the only makeup /skincare product I have ever had a really bad allergic reaction to - with my skin just peeling away all over my face in a very noticeable way which other people commented on :( This happened twice (3 weeks apart) and left my face raw and dry for days. The reason is that the powder has a very well known problem ingredient called 'bismuth oxychloride'. Here's what beautypedia says about the irritation it can cause: "Some people react to bismuth oxychloride due to its unique crystalline structure. What happens is that the crystals can "poke" at skin and get stuck in the pores, where the sharper "spokes" can cause irritation". I can tell you this is truly unpleasant!!!

So I definitely recommend you 'try before you buy' this product - even if (like me) you don't normally react to make up.

This is such a beautiful, luxurious, finely milled powder. As a bonus, it is free of talc. It gives a matte yet glowing finish, but it has absolutely no sparkly stuff in it at all. (I loathe sparkly stuff in makeup.) It comes with a first-rate powder puff.

I've been using Laura Mercier loose powder for ages and ages, but this stuff is even nicer. It is expensive, but it's worth it. A container will last a very long time. The color I got is called "subtle," and it goes perfectly with the Future Skin vanilla foundation I wear. There is a lighter shade, called "light," but it is extremely light and only for the super pale. I am fair skinned, and maybe in winter I'll be able to use "light," but for now, "subtle" is perfect.

Now, my only complaint about this is the packaging. The container looks beautiful, but I find it hard to get the powder onto the puff without making a huge mess. Fortunately, I have always put my loose powders into an old Chanel loose powder container that was the best one I've ever had. I've kept it all these years and always transferred my Laura Mercier powder into that Chanel countainer, and now I'm doing the same with Chantecaille. It has a compartment for the powder with a fine-mesh screen, and then there is a screw cap on top of the powder compartment, and the puff sits on top of that screw cap, and then the lid of the powder goes over that. If Chantecaille would make a container like that, then I'd truly be in heaven.

on 9/28/2010 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my second most favorite loose powder. (Cle De Peau being my all time complete love!) It is talc free, finely milled, and the lightest textured, fluffiest, most amazing I've ever used. I always come back to it. There is no sparkle, does not oxidize, does not emphasize dry patches of skin. It is great for setting makeup, and is quite translucent. It allows my skin (or foundation) to still radiate a glow rather than looking flat. In contrast, Chanel loose powder, (while also finely milled, not as, but still fine) gives a much more opaque,matte finish.

My only gripe, other than the price (but then, sometimes its just true that we get what we pay for) is that the lid to container does not twist or snap closed. The container is a mirror polished silver, understated and elegant, but the top is just a pull off to open, push down to close. The sifter inside is a rigid plastic rather than a floating screen sifter, but it too is not that tight of a fit.

Guerlain recently redesigned the container its loose powder comes in, and its now very practical as well as beautiful. Not only does the container itself twist closed to where it is completely waterproof, but the inside sifter also twists open and closed. And its a highly polished silver color instead of the previous gold. But...... the Chantecaille powder is still nicer IMO, and the container is lovely sitting on the vanity, just not travel friendly.

on 10/10/2009 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this powder, because Merle Norman did away with their oil-control loose powder, which I found to be superior. (Hopefully, MN will come out soon with this formulation in their High Definition Powder.) Chantecaille loose powder is a very finely-milled powder that comes in a pretty silver container. I bought the shade Subtle and like how it does not leave me looking overly made up, and it does not accentuate fine lines. The color seems to go well with my Asian skin, unlike MAC's loose powder (NC30) that looks orange on me and highlights fine lines. However, it is difficult to understand how Chantecaille developed such a fine powder but such a user-unfriendly container! I tried to take the sifter off to transfer some of the powder to my smaller travel sifter, but I was so afraid that I would drop the container and precious ($$$) powder all over the floor! I ended up shaking the powder into its sifter and transferring it with a make-up spatula. Still, a lot of powder fell onto the counter from the sides of the container. I cringed when I lost less than a teaspoon on the bathroom counter! The only way that I can think of doing this in the future, is to shake the powder into the sifter over a clean paper towel, and then scoop the excess into the travel sifter. Please improve packaging! If there is a similar powder out there with better packaging, I would probably buy it over the Chantecaille powder.

This powder is now my HG. It is so soft and light, yet keeps my skin matte all day. No shimmer, just smooth glowy skin. The package has to be the worst I've seen. Every single time I open it, I lose powder. Makes me angry at this price to have such poor packaging. And I hate to have to switch it. I'll continue to buy, but grudgingly

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is one of my alltime favorite loose powders,especially for dry skin.It isn't easy to find talc free fragrance free powders that set well.If I had oily skin I would not shell out the money for this as oily skin actually works great with loosepowders that do contain talc.

on 1/23/2003 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I'm a PPP who wants to stay that way; this powder in Light works very well for me. It has a finer consistency than the LM loose powder, never grainy looking. I'd thought it would have a more obvious luminosity about it than it does, although a lot of people have said I look "glowing" lately. I like the sleek silver packaging; it's an elegant addition to my vanity. Will buy this again, even at the $45 price, because loose powder lasts a long time. I use this with a BB blush brush instead of a powder brush.