Chantecaille Loose powder

Filtered by age: 36-43
Chantecaille Loose powder
Loose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powder

4.5

on 4/10/2014 6:36:00 AM

I really love this finely milled loose powder that doesn't give a matte flat finish, goes nicely over any foundation and I don't find this powder at all drying. My favourite application for this powder is the RT contour brush as I like to use a small brush and do little areas at a time - I have found this makes the powder last longer before needing to touch up.

The metal packaging is luxe and I like that there is a plastic filter inner instead of a netting one as they get really messy. Even though the holes look big I find this doesn't disperse too much product. (as long as its stored right way up).

I'm NC15 and have this in shade "Light" - I would not consider this a translucent powder as it does have some colour to it though very subtle.

on 2/17/2012 10:44:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This powder is great for my combination skin. The "Light" doesn't irritate, clump, or change color. It perfectly compliments my skin tone. I am fair-skinned, usually not the lightest color but the next-to-lightest. I agree with w/plrg's review to leave part of the adhesive over the holes to minimize spillage, and to tap powder into the lid. It is pricey, but worth it.

on 2/24/2011 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a best loose powders that i love very much, since i always go with high end brand and this loose powder is a winner. I am using Lamer loose powder and i love so much and cant find anything that good as La Mer. I even had Impress loose powder that cost almost $100.usd. Impress is a expensive line from kanebo but it didnt impress me at all except the price until i tried Chantecaille. I would say it worth the price it melt to your skin as part of your skin but look nicer. It didnt make my face look gray. it is just perfect. I found people complained about the package but i love it i think it looks so chic. i would but again and let my La mer a break. I actually love both of them.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I've been using Cle de Peau for years until the refill was not longer being sold, so I had a choice of try by Terry or Chantecaille. I decided to purchase Chantecaille and I find this is slightly better then Cle de Peau loose powder. The reason is that the powder had no shimmer, but it makes your skin appear natural, slightly dewy and flawless. The powder does not make your skin dry or appear cakey or have build-up. I will be repurchasing this powder.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

As a user of Chantecaille Just Skin, I had been coveting the loose powder for a while. Firstly whilst the packaging isn't the most practical it is beautiful and looks very swish on my dressing table, plus the puff is very soft and a pleasure to use.
I bought the light (which is perfect for my very pale skin), the texture is smooth and airy and goes on extremely sheer. It has no sparkle or shine, but isn't 'flat' on the skin, so it doesn't make you look powdered but still knocks back any shine/oilyness. It doesn't look patchy or make dry areas look worse either.The other thing I like about this powder is it doesn't change the colour of your base or go patchy or cakey.
The only bad thing I can find to say about this powder is the price....you need a small mortgage!
But as it beats Smashbox, Mac, T'LeClerc, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Laura Mercier and countless others (I can't get CDP here which is the only powder I've heard beats the Chantecaille) I will buy it again.

This is the powder I have been looking for for years. It is very very finely milled, does not have tacky shimmer, never cakes/settles into lines and feels very light on skin. It sets makeup perfectly with a soft, polished finish. The oil control is excellent, too. It is very expensive, and the packaging, while very pretty, is bad, but I think it is worth trying just because of its quality. It works well with different type of foundations I use. FYI: Other powders I used: Cle de Peau loose (did not like it: way too expensive, broke me out, no oil control): YSL (not as finely milled, looks a hint too heavy): Guerlain (in general good but heavily fragranced/slightly drying): GA (too much shimmer, oxidised): By Terry loose (good but way too expensive for such a small amount): By Terry compact (very good, another favourite, offers more coverage than the Chantecaille powder).

Well, this is my best replacement to my HG of powders that decided to cheap out (Christian Dior's Poudre Libre, after a long run as a high-quality, finely-milled loose powder with a perfect color... went and added TALC, which makes me break out horribly! It stayed the same price too: $45 USD). Anywho, so began my quest for a comparable replacement. After reading reviews on this site, I decided to go for Chantecaille's Talc-Free Loose Powder.

*********CONS (first):********* very limited availability, at least in Orange County, CA; had to go to Neiman-Marcus (overly pretentious store, IMHO), and they only accept cash or American Express. So that was a pain. Short of ordering online, you have to go prepared! Then, I agree that the packaging is gorgeous BUT the biggest pain in the you-know-what to work with (messy, you potentially lose product too). So, after peeling back about half of the sticky sifter cover to only let a little product out at a time, I finally caved and VERY CAREFULLY pried open the package with the flat edge of a metal spatula and transferred it into my old (and now empty) Christian Dior Poudre Libre packaging with the same thin metal spatula (are you kidding me? For $45 USD this stuff is like GOLD and you don't want to lose any of it!). See my review on the packaging for CD's Poudre Libre, you'll see why I love it so much, plus they gave you a killer compact (as in small) powder brush built into the package. I think the Chantecaille packaging came with a powder puff but why would I use that with loose powder? Powder puffs are meant for pressed powders, brushes are meant for loose powders. Anyway... on to the pros...

*********PROS:********* While I personally feel it is a shade less silky than my old fave (CD Poudre Libre), it is perfect for my needs, and for me, I like a slightly dewy finish, not cakey or heavy... I like to let my skin show through (I routinely use select concealers -- like under the eyes, round the corners of my nose, and on any select blemishes or patches of redness -- and depending on the day, I also love Shiseido's Stick Foundation... no skin reactions and it goes on great; is buildable and still lets my own skin show through. BUT, enough about that!). Chantecaille's powder is finely milled, a good color, and I use my old CD brush to apply it... no chalky appearance, and it sets my makeup so my skin feels silky smooth, and dispels shine just enough until I touch up throughout the day (only if needed) with MAC's Blot Powder (which is great because that doesn't build up product). And best of all, this talc-free powder does not break out my sensitized skin (THANK YOU Chantecaille for producing a quality loose powder that YES, CAN be talc-free!) I put dates on my products so I know a) if they're past their expiration date and b) to see how long they last me... and this first package has lasted me 6 months so far and by my accounts, will last me at least another 3... so, it's a worthwhile purchase.
*********As a side note:********* Please don't expect this powder to necessarily hold your shine at bay all day, if you tend to be oily. As a makeup artist, I have learned that loose powder is formulated more as a finishing/setting powder. If you want coverage and shine control (long-lasting), you will need to use a pressed foundation powder or more heavily-pigmented loose powder, and apply with a sponge or powder puff (sponges work GREAT for picking up enough product; plus, with their triangular angles, you can more easily get into crevices that you cannot with a regular powder puff). Also, if you are having excessive oil production problems, your skin care routine may be the culprit (a proper and controlled skin care routine that you DON'T overload product onto will help immensely. My new fave is Origins, which I will review as well).

on 7/12/2007 6:26:00 PM

I have tried just about every loose powder out there ladies...yes, even the precious Cle de Peau ~ This is the most natural, light powder I've ever purchased. I have found this to be a "setting powder only". I'm oily & need to touch up w/ Boscia blotting papers around noon. However, if your looking for an elegent, natural - true to color setting powder try this & I don't think you will be disappointed! I'm NC25 & I wear shade "Light"

on 1/4/2006 8:42:00 AM

One of my HG powders....actually, this IS my HG powder....but I haven't yet tried Cle de Peau, which is on my list. Even so, this is very luxurious and finely-milled. It suits my skin perfectly. I use the translucent.

UPDATE.... finally tried Cle de Peau....and it blows Chantecaille out of the water!

on 1/4/2006 8:42:00 AM