La Roche Posay Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser

La Roche Posay Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser

3.6

Water,Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Sodium Carbomer, Ethylhexyloxyglycerin, Capryl Glycol.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I bought this when I irritated my skin with two many products and needed something bland, and I'm still using it 3 months on. I usually use the Avene Cleanance cleansing gel but even that was too harsh on my damaged skin. I like the LRP as it is super gentle, doesn't sting and most of all doesn't leave your face feeling dry or tight. I always remove with water and a washcloth and do not notice a film like others have mentioned. However, it says you can tissue off but it didn't work for me and I could just tell it hadn't removed it properly. I'm using this in the morning alone, and in the evening after I have used an cleansing oil (as I wear a mineral sunscreen everyday). Have just reordered this!

on 7/23/2016 5:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool

Why oh why did I did not heed the rating of MUA? I got swayed by Paula's Beautypedia rating. Yes, this is the consistency I like, doesn't cause irritation, but it takes at least two washes to cleanse my face properly - seriously who has the time? I end up with black blotches all over my face and need to clean it again. This is OK for a morning cleanse.

There are other products out there, QV face wash, Eucerin Dermatoclean, that do so much better and are more cost effective.

Not a repeat for me, I'm afraid.

To Read all 158 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This has been a staple part of my skincare routine for over two years now.

I use it in the evenings, when I shower, and I'd like to clarify that I DO NOT think this is strong enough to remove heavy-duty makeup by itself. I always use a makeup remover (usually micellar water) to remove the mass majority first. In my opinion you really can't rely on one product to remove a mix of waterproof and long lasting product.

It can fully remove most makeup, it just takes more product and a fair bit of rubbing (but since this is designed for sensitive skin it cleanses very gently)

It's fragrance free and I can probably count the ingredients on my fingers, so for me this stuff is literally gold. I think if you have very oily skin this might not be the best for you, but it can leave my face a little bit tight so I have a serum I use after. It's probably medium range in price (as in, a little bit of a spend but not scarily priced) and it lasts a decent amount of time. I'd only use it once a day because it might be too gentle to keep your skin absolutely squeaky clean, but I love it.

Oh, and apply this to DRY skin. Feels a bit weird at first if your used to foam cleansers but it's ace - I'd use it either morning or night, whenever you shower, so you can fully rinse it thoroughly because I think leaving a residue is why some people break out.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have mixed feelings on this one. I put yes for repurchase, it's more of a maybe for me...

My skin is sensitized right now due to an allergic reaction, and I have been working to figure out products I can tolerate. The good news is that this has caused absolutely no irritation or dryness. I really like the silky cream consistency. It feels nice on my skin and leaves me feeling hydrated and not the least bit stripped.

The bad news- this did not work to remove makeup for me at all! I used it how I would normally use this cream type cleanser- massaging a generous amount onto dry skin and then wiping away as gently as possible with a warm, wet facecloth, followed by rinsing. I then usually go back in for a quicker second cleanse just to make sure my face is completely clean of makeup, and splash water to rinse. After all of this there was still makeup clinging to a bunch of different spots, and my face felt horribly greasy and absolutely not clean. I went in for a third cleanse, using the washcloth again and finally got all the visible makeup off, but it left a film so thick that when I started to put on my next product, it lifted the film into little balls (pilling). Really yucky, and potentially disastrous as far as breakouts. Note: I was wearing a full face of makeup but nothing waterproof or even "long wearing"- Vichy BB cream, Laura Mercier translucent powder, Tarte blush etc.

HOWEVER as a morning cleanser on a bare face this seems to be working really well. It feels great and does not seem to leave a film, so I have been using it only in the mornings. I have been watching my pores for signs of clogging, and so far so good.

CONS- did not work for makeup removal for me- the amount of rubbing and wiping in order to get my makeup cleanly off would completely negate this as being "gentle", and it left a thick, horrible, potentially pore clogging film behind. Since it doesn't leave this same film in the morning, I can only surmise it is "grabbing" some ingredient in my makeup and smooshing it around rather than letting it rinse away, and/or the three cleanses it took to actually get my makeup off built up cleanser residue on my skin. Really, really gross.

PROS- non irritating on reactive skin, nice texture, seems to work well as a super gentle morning cleanse

I will update if I run into gradual pore clogging issues like some other posters have. As it is I would only recommend for those with super sensitive skin who wear little to no makeup, or for morning cleanse only, with caution on acne prone skin.

on 3/27/2016 4:05:00 PM

I used up a whole bottle of this over the period of about two months. You don't need alot of it and it removes makeup and dirt well. I have sensitive,combination skin prone to redness and this cleanser didn't cause any irritations or negative changes to my skin. It has a very smooth milky texture and it makes the face feel soft after washing without that 'tight skin' feeling most cleansers leave.After applying moisturizer,hours after I'd feel my skin to be oilier than usual after using this product it felt like the cleanser left a light coating on the skin. This would probably benefit anyone with dry to very dry skin but if parts of your face gets oily this cleanser might not be a good idea. Overall this isn't a bad product and I was generally happy with it. No irritation,completely fragrance-free and lasts a good amount of time considering the bottle size.

on 3/21/2016 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used this cleanser for over 3 years. As long as I used a gentle cleanser in the AM, and the Proactiv routine at night, my skin was a happy balance. I ran out of my pricey gentle cleanser, and decided to give Toleraine gentle cleanser a try based on the claims of it being non-irritant, etc. This was around the time I had kids, and I started noticing lots of cheek breakouts (almost like a constant rash of small comedones, but lots of them). Having never broken out on my cheeks previously, I chalked it up to hormones during pregnancy, than postpartum, than breastfeeding. My dermatologist recommended a clarisonic to help my cheeks, so I used the Toleraine Dermo cleanse in the evenings with my clarisonic to replace the Proactiv scrub. I was no using the Dermo Cleanser 2x a day, instead of once. My skin got worse. It took a ridiculous amount of time, and someone's review on Toleraine dermo cleanser for me to FINALLY realize it was the cleanser breaking me out all this time! I would strongly advise against using this as a harmless cleanser. It is gentle, but I think it doesn't feel "stripping" because it leaves a film - I always used water, never just wiped. This stuff CLOGS PORES!!

**EDIT**I switched to Toleraine Foaming Cleanser a month ago and changing nothing else in my routine, my face improved, but then ended up drying and still breaking out. Upon checking ingredients, I found that both cleansers have highly comedogenic ingredients. Not good for the acne-prone, especially since both seem to leave a light film. After endless research and trial, I found that CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser is perfect for my finicking skin. It feels just as gentle as Toleraine Dermo Cleanser, without the clogged pores. I was blaming hormones, and my dermatologist had recommended a strong cream with retinol. I am so glad I read that poster's review first. I like La Roche (although I find the entire product line poor for the acne-prone), but please beware of the TOLERAINE DERMO CLEANSER and Toleraine Foaming Cleanser if you have acne-prone skin. Not even my dermatologist thought it could be to blame.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

Its indeed very gentle but it just too oily for me... I have been using it for a week and I think this formula broke me out with clogs..

I would see it very good for dry sensitive skin who is not clog-acne prone.

on 2/8/2016 5:22:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I don't dislike the cleanser, because it hasn't ever stung or caused a reaction but it is not for me. My face after use doesnt feel tight or irritated after use but it leaves an irritating film that causes a delayed reaction. I have dehydrated skin, large pores and very reactive. I have mild rosacea and I didn't find this helped much. It seems good for dry skin with fine pores.

on 1/26/2016 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Breakouts galore and it made my eyes sting.

on 11/19/2015 6:40:00 PM

Thought this would be kind and gentle on my sensitive skin and I fancied a change of cleanser and it's relatively inexpensive, unfortunately like other reviewers it left a thin greasy, plasticky film on my palms and face, I had to use micellar water to remove this cleanser and remains of make up.
For the first time in years my skin is inflamed and spotty.
I've used Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser for 2 years with no problems, agree with Beautypedia that time, I'll stick to what I know and trust.