MAC Captive

MAC Captive

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

If you tend to pull purple on your lipsticks dont buy this. It looked straight purple in my nc10-15 skin and im not a fan of the formula either. Its a little drying on my lips

Love this lipstick, something I can always reach for day and night. I first thought this lipstick would be very similar to Twig, but it really isnt. It is dark and is more on the dark pink / hint of brown / bit of red (Im bad at explaining the colour sorry!) colour. Great for all year round

To Read all 73 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/6/2016 7:35:00 PM

Good everyday color was recommended to me by the mac girl..It can be worn day or night and it is good paired with mac magenta liner it lasts long and could look matte as well even though its a satin. I also like craving which is similar but I prefer the texture of captive its a lil thicker.

on 1/8/2016 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the first MAC lipstick I purchased and I have to say that I love it. I have noticed that it looks so different on different people-more so than any other lipstick I've ever used, which may account for all the different opinions.

It is quite dark while still being more on the neutral side and I believe it's perfect for fall and winter. I feel more comfortable wearing it at night, but you can definitely incorporate it into your everyday look.

It is definitely not drying on my lips, but I find it less long-lasting than a mat Mac lipstick. That doesn't mean it doesn't last long however.

on 11/8/2015 7:28:00 AM

NW20 here, deep soft winter, almost black hair, brown eyes.

There seems to be a cluster of very popular neutral shades from MAC. I kept hearing about Plumful, Craving, and Captive. I wish I would have started out with Captive. It is what I wanted Plumful and Craving to be. Deeper, more cool toned, lusher lip. Plumful and Craving always just looked "eh" on me...they didn't look bad,but didn't do anything special. I think my dark winter features just needed a deeper color to get the "wow" factor going. And this is wear Captive delivered! I would have thought by MAC's description of Craving as a "bust of plum" that it would have suited me better, but it is quite red toned and not as deep as Captive which MAC describes as pink plum. On me, Captive is almost a soft berry shade, but very deep and lush still. Craving was brighter and more red toned. I can see Craving being a better option for warmer tones or more fair featured people over Captive, but Captive is perfection for me.

FYI - Another shade that gets tossed into this cluster sometimes is Capricious. This is a perfect shade for me too. Probably the most neutral, every day, work appropriate shade of this group for me. Though I would never want to have to choose between Capricious and Captive.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'm very very pale and I have short Auburn hair, so I wanted something that would look nice with my hair and complexion for the Autumn. I never normally wear dark lipsticks, I like to stick to my personal favourite, "Please Me", a matte lipstick from MAC. I've used a lip liner before applying this which makes it look a lot neater, however, this lip stick is extremely drying on my lips. I find it really hard to apply, it's not a smooth application.

I normally use some of my posie balm and then wait for that to dry a bit, then I dab the lipstick on my lips from the bullet, giving it a more natural(?) look, rather than an overpowering full lip. I find the best way to get this lipstick on for a full fall lip is to use a small lip brush.

I wouldn't repurchase this particular lipstick purely because of the application, but it does look lovely when it's on. It warms up my pale complexion and is a good colour for the fall.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

While it may works on many other people, this particular MAC lipstick just don't work for me. The Satin formula is extremely drying on my dry lips and it's really uncomfortable to wear even after tons of lipbalms.

The colour is too purplish and opaque/matte for my taste.

on 9/14/2015 11:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

i would describe the colour as a deep plum with a bit more brown in it compared to craving. the two are definitely different. i have a slight preference to craving's shade, as it flatters me more, but i like that i own nothing else like captive. it is a very wearable shade especially for fall and i will get a lot of use out of it. i quite like the satin formula. it is comfortable, and long-lasting.

on 5/26/2015 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Captive is everything I wanted Craving to be. FYI the shades look totally different on me. Captive is darker, more alluring. I'm around NW35 so it's not exactly "vampy" on me but it's probably the darkest color that I can rock on the daily in my collection (but I'm afraid of dark colors so that's not saying much). It definitely looked much darker in the Mac store than real life.
I would definitely recommend that everyone try this. Another shade that I think would be universally flattering. I have tons and tons of pink, rosey lipsticks but this one is unique. Looks amazing with Dolce Vita blush from Nars.

My only complaint is that the Satin formula can be a bit drying.

on 5/5/2015 10:37:00 AM

This must be my all time favourite lipstick from Mac. Such a beautiful plummish colour. I love this for a semi-vamp look. It stays on for a couple of hours. My only problem is I couldn't find a lip liner matching this.

Also, Nars Afghan Red is a similar colour... It is between Captive and Craving and it stays on long and has a very good texture.