Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

4.4

Water, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Lauroampho PG-Acetate Phosphate, Fragrance, Quaternium-15, Tetrasodium EDTA. [7/30/15]

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask for YEARS, and that product still gets high reviews from me. But after being diagnosed with rosacea, I had to re-think my skin care, and I had to face facts that while that product helped me MOST of the time, it did more harm than good other times (I still use it as a mask when I need a 'deeper' clean).
After searching (and searching and searching) for a perfect cleaner... Purpose was it. I hate that it contains sulfates, but I have to just suck it up. It is VERY gentle (I have the type of skin that is VERY easily irritated, even in my 30's, and I CANNOT, under any circumstances, use anything 'scrubby' or exfoliating in nature). And this seems to really get my whole face (eye makeup included) completley clean without drying it at all (for the record, my skin in very oily with random dry patches). I just find it super gentle, and my skin agrees. I get the HUGE size on drugstore.com for a very reasonable price ($9 for 12 oz) and it takes me months to get through. A little goes a very long way. I also use it on my chest and neck as it's not harsh and perfect for delicate skin. I do wish however, it was easier to travel with (I have yet to fly somewhere and NOT have it explode in my suitcase; thank goodness for plastic bags!).

on 1/7/2013 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

While I like this cleanser a lot, I prefer Acne.org's cleanser over this one. However, I always keep a bottle of this stuff around because it is a good, reliable product at an affordable price point. I use it when I travel or run out of my usual cleanser.

There are three reasons why this isn't my number one choice.

First, SLS is the main foaming agent here. The SLS in this cleanser leaves my face feeling a bit tight after I cleanse. Other chemically similar foaming agents don't do this to me. It's not huge deal since I always moisturize after cleansing but I could do without that squeaky clean feeling.

Second, this cleanser is fragranced. I don't have a special sensitivity to fragrance but my skin is sensitive in general. Sometimes fragrance can contribute to overall sensitivity issues.

Finally, the Acne.org cleanser is a comparable product in my humble opinion but the Acne.org cleanser is even more cost effective in terms of dollars per ounce IF you purchase the largest bottle size and a few bottles at a time to offset the cost of shipping. Maybe this seems excessive but I consider the cost per ounce when I consider the value of any given product.

Still, this is a solid product. If you like this, you might also like the Clean and Clear sensitive cleanser if for some reason this is out of stock at your drugstore. It's very similar.

on 10/1/2009 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I used this product for almost 2 months now. I have mild acne, and while this stuff took off makup, dirt, oil ect. it didn't help with my acne at all. In fact it dried out my skin so much that my skin can't heal properly becuase all of the natural oil was stirpped out of my skin. I use Differin and spot treat with BP and because this dried out my skin so much I can't use either of those products. I'm going back to my beloved Cetaphil, which doesn't remove makeup like Purpose, but it is gentle on my skin and feels good, and I can use the Differin and BP when I use Cetaphil.

on 12/29/2007 11:30:00 AM

Finally! A cleanser that doesn't leave my face feeling dry after I wash it. I've tried numerous cleansers trying to find something that doesn't dry out my combo, but easily dehydrated, skin, and this is it! Hooray!

on 11/8/2007 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've repurchased this several times already and have only just recently gotten around to giving this a review. This was great and I've used it for a few years in conjunction with Cetaphil and Lush Ultrabland. Random assortment, I know. Sometime last year I cut Purpose out of the equation, thinking that it was too harsh (not sure why??) and opted for Lush because it was more natural.
Lately, I've noticed that my skin (which is milky white with freckles, I used to get compliments from strangers, no joke) was looking quite lackluster. Redness, oily (which never has happened before.) I'm a social smoker so at first I was like, "sh*t, it's caught up with me!" I've never had problem skin but things were just looking... unclean. I'm at the drugstore, looking at my options, and I just grabbed this. A couple days later and my skin is looking much better. It really "cleans" your skin, and I think Cetaphil just doesn't remove makeup as well. Just as gentle, and even more inexpensive, I think this stuff is grossly underrated.
Also, I have to agree with the other reviewers: the packaging is balls. I even put in a ziploc when I travel, but it gets EVERYWHERE and you have to wash the bottle off and water gets in a dilutes the product... anyway, I bought another bottle for travel. We should all write to J&J and complain! Haha.

on 9/26/2007 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have dry, sensitive skin and mild rosacea ....along with allergies ...and I break out with some products. I have no problems at all with this cleanser though--Love it!.

After spending tons of money on all kinds of fancy cleansers, this is the only wash that has eliminated my blackheads. And its so cheap. My face feels clean, and its not at all overdrying, although I have somewhat oily skin.

Popular Face Skincare Products