Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

4.2

Water, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Lauroampho PG-Acetate Phosphate, Fragrance, Quaternium-15, Tetrasodium EDTA. [7/30/15]

on 7/7/2015 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

TLDR: Buy it. Now.

Pros: no "fake" scent, gentle, cleansing, cheap, pump.
Cons: doesn't always take off waterproof makeup.

This is one product that really lives up to all the hype, if you can even have such a thing with a face wash. I know cleansing milks/oils are the thing but I still prefer this. I have rosacea, oily t-zone and dry patches at my temple, so pretty troublesome skin, and this is so pleasant to use. It lathers easily and feels like it's removing oil, without drying out my skin. It doesn't have a strong smell - and I have a very sensitive nose so this is a huge plus for me. I use a makeup remover before this and have no trouble with makeup removal, but I will say if I have on heavy makeup, sometimes I'll wash, then use my makeup remover and wash again to get fully clean. Some reviews say it removes makeup but in my experience, heavier duty waterproof makeup will not fully come off. I don't wear makeup everyday, but I use this every day. I will add, this will not improve your skin in any way - but for something that you wash off, I am not sure that's a fair expectation.
Anyways, try it - it's cheap enough you can throw it out if it sucks with no hard feelings. Or send it to me. I don't know how the heck they have a cleanser at this price that works so well. I can't get it in Canada (easily) and I have brought back a half a suitcase full before. It's that good.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this facial cleanser for my acne-prone, dehydrated skin. It's a no-nonsense cleanser that doesn't aggravate my skin. Rinses off easily. I buy two of the large bottles at a time, one for my bathroom counter and one for the shower. Seems expensive for a drugstore product, but when you compare it to the higher-end cleansers that are full of fragrance and other nonsense, this is a really good deal.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask for YEARS, and that product still gets high reviews from me. But after being diagnosed with rosacea, I had to re-think my skin care, and I had to face facts that while that product helped me MOST of the time, it did more harm than good other times (I still use it as a mask when I need a 'deeper' clean).
After searching (and searching and searching) for a perfect cleaner... Purpose was it. I hate that it contains sulfates, but I have to just suck it up. It is VERY gentle (I have the type of skin that is VERY easily irritated, even in my 30's, and I CANNOT, under any circumstances, use anything 'scrubby' or exfoliating in nature). And this seems to really get my whole face (eye makeup included) completley clean without drying it at all (for the record, my skin in very oily with random dry patches). I just find it super gentle, and my skin agrees. I get the HUGE size on drugstore.com for a very reasonable price ($9 for 12 oz) and it takes me months to get through. A little goes a very long way. I also use it on my chest and neck as it's not harsh and perfect for delicate skin. I do wish however, it was easier to travel with (I have yet to fly somewhere and NOT have it explode in my suitcase; thank goodness for plastic bags!).

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

YES. Thank you Jesus for allowing me to finally get something that is helping me heal. Have had such a terrible bout of severe cheek acne (hormonal... due to Loestrin... grr) and everything that I used just exacerbated and dried out my skin even more... thats never good. This is gentle enough, lathers so well, and feels clean without having that tight feeling. I'm happy and will be repurchasing. I'd recommend a very light cleanser to dry and acne prone skin types like mine.

Also, I do not use this cleanser to take my makeup off. I take it off before I cleanse.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that the pH of this cleanser is 6.5 - 7, that of water. Thats what they mean by "gentle as water."

on 1/7/2013 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

While I like this cleanser a lot, I prefer Acne.org's cleanser over this one. However, I always keep a bottle of this stuff around because it is a good, reliable product at an affordable price point. I use it when I travel or run out of my usual cleanser.

There are three reasons why this isn't my number one choice.

First, SLS is the main foaming agent here. The SLS in this cleanser leaves my face feeling a bit tight after I cleanse. Other chemically similar foaming agents don't do this to me. It's not huge deal since I always moisturize after cleansing but I could do without that squeaky clean feeling.

Second, this cleanser is fragranced. I don't have a special sensitivity to fragrance but my skin is sensitive in general. Sometimes fragrance can contribute to overall sensitivity issues.

Finally, the Acne.org cleanser is a comparable product in my humble opinion but the Acne.org cleanser is even more cost effective in terms of dollars per ounce IF you purchase the largest bottle size and a few bottles at a time to offset the cost of shipping. Maybe this seems excessive but I consider the cost per ounce when I consider the value of any given product.

Still, this is a solid product. If you like this, you might also like the Clean and Clear sensitive cleanser if for some reason this is out of stock at your drugstore. It's very similar.

on 7/11/2012 10:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My HG cleanser! before i used exfoliating sponges I used this on its own and it managed to remove most of my revlon colorstay foundation compared to that flimsy Neutrogena cleanser. It cleans effectively without overdrying or irritating my skin. The scent is also very mild, not harsh at all. I recomend this to everyone I love it

on 4/9/2012 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I have oily acne prone skin; while this cleanser does not break me out, I do not see it helping with my acne issues either.
I prefer this for the summer time and cetaphil or purity made simple in the winter because this does dry my face a bit more than those other two.
It lathers very well and has a mild scent. Maybe my eyes are sensitive because it says that it isnt supposed to sting your eyes but if I get it into my eyes it certainly does sting.
I do not find that it is sufficient to take off all my makeup, so I always use TTDO balm beforehand or a remover wipe if I am wearing makeup.
It is a nice inexpensive alternative to use that I switch out with my other cleansers in the spring/summer.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

First I just want to thank everyone on MUA for your reviews on this product. I decided to buy it after seeing the high ratings, and the fact that 83% would buy it again. That's one of the best ratings I've ever seen on this site for a skincare product. I have been using this for almost a month and it's transformed my skin. Not dramatically, but I am seeing it get better and better every day. I still have the occasional cyst on the underside of my chin. In fact, I have one right now, but it's going away after just a couple of days as opposed to some that last months before I started using Purpose. As far as my actual face goes, completely clear, smooth, and soft. I was so scared that I would break out bad since I've had such horrible luck with drugstore brand skincare. I have had minor breakouts since using this, however I've developed a routine that is really doing wonders for me now. Purpose is 1/3 of the regimen that is making my skin what I have always wanted it to be. Thanks again everyone for your positive reviews. I know now that I can count on you all, and I look up the reviews on my phone while I'm at the store before I buy something.

on 7/28/2010 9:17:00 PM

I love this face wash! It smells so good, and it really cleans my skin, leaving it feeling so soft. It is gentle enough that I use it in the morning, at night, and in the middle of the day when I need to refresh and clean up my face to reapply my makeup. I like the pump for everyday use, but I do wish that it came in a bottle that closes so it would travel better. Overall, this is probably the best face wash I have ever used.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I love this cleanser. I have been looking for something to take the make up off my face, and this does the job. I also prefer this cleanser over Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser because it doesn't leave that sticky film over my face. I am so glad I found this and I hope it keeps working. I will continue to buy this again and again! I do wish they would correct the packaging issue, they even suggest on the back of the container to not put it in the shower because it will be filled with water, so why can't they fix the problem if they know it exists?

Popular Face Skincare Products