Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

4.2

Water, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Lauroampho PG-Acetate Phosphate, Fragrance, Quaternium-15, Tetrasodium EDTA. [7/30/15]

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

My dermatologist recommended this cleanser a few years ago and I used it for a while before I gave it up. (Who knows why...) Recently I thought I should give it another shot and long story short, I threw it in the trash. My skin hates sodium laureth sulfate and fragrance so I don't know why I decided to give it another shot. Just because a dermatologist told me to use it I assumed she knew what she was talking about even though my better judgement told me not to believe her. This cleanser really dries my skin out and makes it bumpy so I won't be buying again. It's not getting a THIRD chance from me! The packaging was okay only I'm not really that into pump bottles because I travel a lot.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask for YEARS, and that product still gets high reviews from me. But after being diagnosed with rosacea, I had to re-think my skin care, and I had to face facts that while that product helped me MOST of the time, it did more harm than good other times (I still use it as a mask when I need a 'deeper' clean).
After searching (and searching and searching) for a perfect cleaner... Purpose was it. I hate that it contains sulfates, but I have to just suck it up. It is VERY gentle (I have the type of skin that is VERY easily irritated, even in my 30's, and I CANNOT, under any circumstances, use anything 'scrubby' or exfoliating in nature). And this seems to really get my whole face (eye makeup included) completley clean without drying it at all (for the record, my skin in very oily with random dry patches). I just find it super gentle, and my skin agrees. I get the HUGE size on drugstore.com for a very reasonable price ($9 for 12 oz) and it takes me months to get through. A little goes a very long way. I also use it on my chest and neck as it's not harsh and perfect for delicate skin. I do wish however, it was easier to travel with (I have yet to fly somewhere and NOT have it explode in my suitcase; thank goodness for plastic bags!).

on 4/12/2012 10:15:00 AM

I have pretty sensitive skin, and have searched high and low for a product that I won't react to, AND be able to remove all my makeup in one go.

Unfortunately, Purpose Cleanser is not sold in Canada, so the first time I purchased it, I only bought one bottle and was ultra happy with the results!

PROS:

- Price! It is very affordable, I believe only around $6 at the drug stores
- It is gentle - no reactions whatsoever
- Yes, it does remove all of my makeup and cleanses the skin! It doesn't leave a film like other cleansers do, it doesn't feel unclean after I have rinsed, and it really does remove all my makeup (namely eyeliner), where some other cleansers I have tried claim they do, I also end up have to wash twice due to my waterproof eyeliners

CONS:

- None, really...I guess in comparison with some other new age products, it doesn't have that "fresh" feeling, yet it's due to the minimal ingredients

I highly recommend this product for those in search of a gentle product that will remove their makeup!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I bought this after looking for a good cleanser for my skin, and found an article with top cleansers, moisturizers, etc. A dermatologist recommended it and she used it herself (in the article). I went out and bought it to give it a try and was happy to find it was less than $7! It is also a very gentle cleanser, I have rosacea and many products irritate my skin and make me breakout, etc. But this was amazing for me, as soon as i started using it I noticed the difference. I've been using it for about a year now and I love it. I never had an acne problem but because of my rosacea I would break out in red bumps (not pimples) all over my face whenever I used an exfoliant or other products. I don't know how it will work for people with acne but for me it works!

I recommend this product highly to people who just want a gentle cleanser that cleans well, it even works as a good makeup remover!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After being a devout user of REN's calendula and arctic blackcurrant cleanser, and running out of it and not having thirty four dollars to buy more (plus shipping, as Sephora near me doesn't have it), I decided to pick up a bottle of this. I have ridiculously sensitive skin--it is dry, tight, occasionally flaky, and acne-prone. I'm afraid to use most products on it, because my face hates everything. I have weird allergies and break out if someone looks at me the wrong way. So far I haven't had any problems with this, it's just a gentle cleanser that doesn't seem to strip my skin. It gets makeup off, which is a plus. I will update if anything noteworthy happens. This in combination with DDF Lite moisturizing dew seems to be normalizing my skin and healing my hideous chin breakout (thanks, hormones!).

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is the best face wash of all time. I have used since I was about 15. At times, I have occasionally strayed to try something new and I always end up coming back to it. It is such an unfussy product that cleans my face without leaving it too oily or too dry.The only small complaint I have is about the packaging. I love the pump, but it makes it a bit difficult to travel with. I have tried to close up the pump, but more than once it has come undone and gotten all over my toiletry bag. Oh well, I solved this problem by buying a little travel bottle and haven't had any other problems. This is my HG and I think I will probably use it for the rest of my life!!! Have and will repurchase again and again and again!

on 4/20/2008 6:16:00 PM

This is a nice, basic cleanser for sensitive skin or for those of you seeking to simply clean and then treat problematic skin afterwards. I used this while I was doing the acne.org regimen and while I'm off the regimen, this cleanser wasn't a factor. Gentle, non-irritating and effective, but didn't prevent breakouts for me, so I'm back with my first favorite, Noxzema. Slightly overpriced for what it does, but removes makeup well and if I needed a gentle cleanser again for some reason this'd be what I pick up.

on 12/5/2007 2:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

though I do not normally use this any more it's not because it's a bad product. I actually found it to be a great product that was gentle on my skin, didn't dry me out, and was just a great basic cleanser. I do still use it occasionally since my b/f uses it, so it's always in our shower. Also I LOVE the scent of this. I don't normally like my face products to be fragranced at all, but it's such a nice smell that I just don't care. anyway, it's a great no frills, basic cleanser, and since it's easy to find I often recommend it to friends who are looking for a new one.

on 6/4/2007 7:19:00 PM

Sometimes companies (i.e. Origins) put a plethora of exotic ingredients into their products to make them sound more luxurious or worthwhile. Whatever happened to keeping things basic? Mo' ingredients, mo' problems. That's my motto & i'm sticking with it ;) Purpose Cleanser is amazing! It gently cleanses, washes away makeup, and keeps my skin clear and that makes me a very happy girl. While I admit to straying for more glamorous face washes I always return to this tried and true product. It foams, but not too much & it doesn't strip away moister. To me this is a perfect product. I say let the cleanser do it's job, and cleanse...save all the antioxidants, oils, etc. for creams. I'd also like to note that this product does not have any ingredient that clears skin such as benzoyl peroxide, but I find that this keeps my skin very clear by eliminating dirt and oil from my face, while being gentle. I searched for the miracle acne cleanser for a long time, but nothing worked. I use Purpose twice a day, followed by Paula's Choice 1% BHA a few nights a week, followed by Complex 15 cream, keihl's eye balm and maybe some zap zyt if I feel one coming on. I have very pale, sensitive skin and of course this routine isn't for everyone. I spent thousands, (yes sadly, thousands) of dollars and countless frustrated hours trying and tossing product after product. This is like a magic potion that I will NEVER be without!!!.

UPDATE: THIS WAS PERFECT IN MY TEEN YEARS, BUT THEN IN MY EARLY 20'S THIS DRIED MY SKIN OUT SOMETHING WICKED. I SWITCHED TO BOSCIA GEL CLEANSER AND COULDN'T BE HAPPIER, THINK THIS IS FOR BABY SKIN ;D

Popular Face Skincare Products