Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

3.8

Water, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Lauroampho PG-Acetate Phosphate, Fragrance, Quaternium-15, Tetrasodium EDTA. [7/30/15]

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this facial cleanser for my acne-prone, dehydrated skin. It's a no-nonsense cleanser that doesn't aggravate my skin. Rinses off easily. I buy two of the large bottles at a time, one for my bathroom counter and one for the shower. Seems expensive for a drugstore product, but when you compare it to the higher-end cleansers that are full of fragrance and other nonsense, this is a really good deal.

on 3/31/2013 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this cleanser. It was one of the recommended cleansers from my dermatologist to use with a retenoid. It works great and is a bit drying but nothing that a good moisturizer cannot take care of! Highly recommended.

on 1/7/2013 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

While I like this cleanser a lot, I prefer Acne.org's cleanser over this one. However, I always keep a bottle of this stuff around because it is a good, reliable product at an affordable price point. I use it when I travel or run out of my usual cleanser.

There are three reasons why this isn't my number one choice.

First, SLS is the main foaming agent here. The SLS in this cleanser leaves my face feeling a bit tight after I cleanse. Other chemically similar foaming agents don't do this to me. It's not huge deal since I always moisturize after cleansing but I could do without that squeaky clean feeling.

Second, this cleanser is fragranced. I don't have a special sensitivity to fragrance but my skin is sensitive in general. Sometimes fragrance can contribute to overall sensitivity issues.

Finally, the Acne.org cleanser is a comparable product in my humble opinion but the Acne.org cleanser is even more cost effective in terms of dollars per ounce IF you purchase the largest bottle size and a few bottles at a time to offset the cost of shipping. Maybe this seems excessive but I consider the cost per ounce when I consider the value of any given product.

Still, this is a solid product. If you like this, you might also like the Clean and Clear sensitive cleanser if for some reason this is out of stock at your drugstore. It's very similar.

on 4/9/2012 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I have oily acne prone skin; while this cleanser does not break me out, I do not see it helping with my acne issues either.
I prefer this for the summer time and cetaphil or purity made simple in the winter because this does dry my face a bit more than those other two.
It lathers very well and has a mild scent. Maybe my eyes are sensitive because it says that it isnt supposed to sting your eyes but if I get it into my eyes it certainly does sting.
I do not find that it is sufficient to take off all my makeup, so I always use TTDO balm beforehand or a remover wipe if I am wearing makeup.
It is a nice inexpensive alternative to use that I switch out with my other cleansers in the spring/summer.

on 2/6/2012 6:40:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really enjoy this cleanser. It cleans my face, unclogs my pores and makes my face really smooth. :) I gave it a 4 becaaaause it doesn't take my make-up off that well. Of course, I'm not sure a cleanser should take off make-up. I think it should! Anyways, I love this and it lathers super well on my face with lots of water. :D Repurchasing!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This is probably the only facial cleanser that removes more makeup than anything else. I usually use my regular makeup facial wipes before washing my face and then I would use this. This not only works well in removing extra traces of makeup, but it also leaves your skin feeling so smooth like a baby's bottom. I am quite acne prone, but this cleanser has never broken me out. I am currently on my 2nd or 3rd bottle. If you are a huge makeup user and you have sensitive skin, check this gem out.

This is the only cleanser that has washed away all my makeup and kept my skin almost acne-free minus the occasional beasts that like to pop up. I use this with sensitive stridex pads and my skin has never been this clear with any other product. The stidex toner keeps my acne at bay and when i use the pads it doesn't show any makeup so it means all my makeup was taken off with the cleanser. I would deffinately buy this again!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is just average. After all the glowing reviews I was expecting more. It is basically Johnson & Johnson Baby Wash. It smells just like it and has a similar texture. It was very drying for me and caused flakes. It removed makeup and seemed to clean well but I needed to use a LOT of it at a time. I went through a bottle of this faster than any other cleanser. I will not repurchase, mainly because of how dry it made my face. Also, the bottle leaks all over the place. Don't even think about putting this in your luggage.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I love this cleanser. I have been looking for something to take the make up off my face, and this does the job. I also prefer this cleanser over Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser because it doesn't leave that sticky film over my face. I am so glad I found this and I hope it keeps working. I will continue to buy this again and again! I do wish they would correct the packaging issue, they even suggest on the back of the container to not put it in the shower because it will be filled with water, so why can't they fix the problem if they know it exists?

on 4/9/2010 11:08:00 AM

I tried this because it has been advertised as gentle and my derm. also said it was a good basic cleanser. I have tried to use this for about a week. If I wash my face with it more than once in a day it feels like my skin is on fire. For me it is to harsh, over dries my skin and makes it burn. I have sensitive acne-prone skin that is on the oily side.

Popular Face Skincare Products