Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

Water, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Lauroampho PG-Acetate Phosphate, Fragrance, Quaternium-15, Tetrasodium EDTA. [7/30/15]

on 5/7/2017 10:49:00 AM

I thought this cleanser was just ok. It didn't seem to be strong enough to take all of my makeup off though (and I don't wear a lot). It didn't break me out and it didn't have a strong smell to it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

My dermatologist recommended this cleanser a few years ago and I used it for a while before I gave it up. (Who knows why...) Recently I thought I should give it another shot and long story short, I threw it in the trash. My skin hates sodium laureth sulfate and fragrance so I don't know why I decided to give it another shot. Just because a dermatologist told me to use it I assumed she knew what she was talking about even though my better judgement told me not to believe her. This cleanser really dries my skin out and makes it bumpy so I won't be buying again. It's not getting a THIRD chance from me! The packaging was okay only I'm not really that into pump bottles because I travel a lot.

on 1/7/2013 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

While I like this cleanser a lot, I prefer Acne.org's cleanser over this one. However, I always keep a bottle of this stuff around because it is a good, reliable product at an affordable price point. I use it when I travel or run out of my usual cleanser.

There are three reasons why this isn't my number one choice.

First, SLS is the main foaming agent here. The SLS in this cleanser leaves my face feeling a bit tight after I cleanse. Other chemically similar foaming agents don't do this to me. It's not huge deal since I always moisturize after cleansing but I could do without that squeaky clean feeling.

Second, this cleanser is fragranced. I don't have a special sensitivity to fragrance but my skin is sensitive in general. Sometimes fragrance can contribute to overall sensitivity issues.

Finally, the Acne.org cleanser is a comparable product in my humble opinion but the Acne.org cleanser is even more cost effective in terms of dollars per ounce IF you purchase the largest bottle size and a few bottles at a time to offset the cost of shipping. Maybe this seems excessive but I consider the cost per ounce when I consider the value of any given product.

Still, this is a solid product. If you like this, you might also like the Clean and Clear sensitive cleanser if for some reason this is out of stock at your drugstore. It's very similar.

on 4/12/2012 10:15:00 AM

I have pretty sensitive skin, and have searched high and low for a product that I won't react to, AND be able to remove all my makeup in one go.

Unfortunately, Purpose Cleanser is not sold in Canada, so the first time I purchased it, I only bought one bottle and was ultra happy with the results!

PROS:

- Price! It is very affordable, I believe only around $6 at the drug stores
- It is gentle - no reactions whatsoever
- Yes, it does remove all of my makeup and cleanses the skin! It doesn't leave a film like other cleansers do, it doesn't feel unclean after I have rinsed, and it really does remove all my makeup (namely eyeliner), where some other cleansers I have tried claim they do, I also end up have to wash twice due to my waterproof eyeliners

CONS:

- None, really...I guess in comparison with some other new age products, it doesn't have that "fresh" feeling, yet it's due to the minimal ingredients

I highly recommend this product for those in search of a gentle product that will remove their makeup!

on 3/17/2012 7:10:00 PM

I am so glad I found this product! My usual cleanser is clinique facial soap mild. I bought this product because it claims not to contain any actual soap just like the clinique. It works so much better than clinique. Does a better job of cleansing my skin and does not dry out my skin, which the clinique did. It has the same liquid gel consistency and same amount of product at a much better price. I've been using it for a month and my skin looks great. I have senstive skin and this does not irritate. My break outs are becoming less and less frequent because my face isnt dried out with this.

on 10/17/2010 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

i've been using this for a week now and i love it! i used dove soap for years but lately my skin has been oily and breaking out, so i decided to try something new. this is really gentle, smells just like johnson and johnson baby shampoo, and cleans well. also, its the only cleanser i've ever used that doesn't sting my eyes at all! my skin has really cleared up, and this is the only change i've made in my routine.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is just average. After all the glowing reviews I was expecting more. It is basically Johnson & Johnson Baby Wash. It smells just like it and has a similar texture. It was very drying for me and caused flakes. It removed makeup and seemed to clean well but I needed to use a LOT of it at a time. I went through a bottle of this faster than any other cleanser. I will not repurchase, mainly because of how dry it made my face. Also, the bottle leaks all over the place. Don't even think about putting this in your luggage.

on 7/28/2010 9:17:00 PM

I love this face wash! It smells so good, and it really cleans my skin, leaving it feeling so soft. It is gentle enough that I use it in the morning, at night, and in the middle of the day when I need to refresh and clean up my face to reapply my makeup. I like the pump for everyday use, but I do wish that it came in a bottle that closes so it would travel better. Overall, this is probably the best face wash I have ever used.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I love this cleanser. I have been looking for something to take the make up off my face, and this does the job. I also prefer this cleanser over Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser because it doesn't leave that sticky film over my face. I am so glad I found this and I hope it keeps working. I will continue to buy this again and again! I do wish they would correct the packaging issue, they even suggest on the back of the container to not put it in the shower because it will be filled with water, so why can't they fix the problem if they know it exists?

on 1/13/2010 11:23:00 AM

This is my HG makeup remover!!!

Nothing I have found removes makeup as completely without stripping and nothing removes eye makup so well without being greasy or burning. I have tried so many different kinds of cleansers and have even tried eye makeup remover followed by a cleanser but nothing works like Purpose. One pump is all you need. Wet your face, pump one time, lather up and gently remove all your makeup! No burning, no itching, no greasiness settling in your eyes.

I hope J&J never stops making Purpose cleanser! I'll be a loyal customer forever!

Popular Face Skincare Products