Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

4.3

Water, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Lauroampho PG-Acetate Phosphate, Fragrance, Quaternium-15, Tetrasodium EDTA. [7/30/15]

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

My dermatologist recommended this cleanser a few years ago and I used it for a while before I gave it up. (Who knows why...) Recently I thought I should give it another shot and long story short, I threw it in the trash. My skin hates sodium laureth sulfate and fragrance so I don't know why I decided to give it another shot. Just because a dermatologist told me to use it I assumed she knew what she was talking about even though my better judgement told me not to believe her. This cleanser really dries my skin out and makes it bumpy so I won't be buying again. It's not getting a THIRD chance from me! The packaging was okay only I'm not really that into pump bottles because I travel a lot.

WARNING: Read ingredients and know what ingredients are bad for you before you buy a product.

Please do not listen to the PR and reviews for this facial wash. I wanted to believe it all too because my face was breaking out badly. This cleanser has not helped in the past month and my skin felt very irritated and again I was left with acne, and asking why?? I finally decided to research for myself and found an article "Ten Ingredients to Avoid in Your Face Products" by the website Good.is.

Purpose cleanser had two of these ten in their ingredients: "Sodium Laureth Sulfate" and "Fragrance." SLS strips you of your natural oils and "Fragrance" has a whole mess of hormone disruptors. There are effective, natural ways to cure your acne. Please do not give up hope.

on 4/9/2010 11:08:00 AM

I tried this because it has been advertised as gentle and my derm. also said it was a good basic cleanser. I have tried to use this for about a week. If I wash my face with it more than once in a day it feels like my skin is on fire. For me it is to harsh, over dries my skin and makes it burn. I have sensitive acne-prone skin that is on the oily side.

on 12/28/2009 10:26:00 AM

Animal testing ALERT. Just found out they are on the red list. do not buy any of johnson and johnson products. :(

Hated this, read the reviews, gave it another shot and remembered why I was disappointed. Pros, it's dirt cheap and doesn't dry out your skin...cons after using this my face feels dirty. It does not remove my makeup and I feel like my face was never washed. Even when I used makeup removers my face still feels dirty. IMHO Purpose is excellent for those with good skin, keeps makeup to a minimal, and have sensitive to dry skin. I discovered Neutrogena fresh foaming face wash is my HG it is dirt cheap, non comedogenic, dermatologist tested, hypo allergenic, alcohol, oil and soap free, and best of all it removes makeup and washes my face all in one.

on 8/17/2005 9:50:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I tried this a long time ago and all I can remember is how much I didn't like it. It must have been that it was too drying since that's what most people complain about. My skin is combo, BTW.

on 10/1/2009 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I used this product for almost 2 months now. I have mild acne, and while this stuff took off makup, dirt, oil ect. it didn't help with my acne at all. In fact it dried out my skin so much that my skin can't heal properly becuase all of the natural oil was stirpped out of my skin. I use Differin and spot treat with BP and because this dried out my skin so much I can't use either of those products. I'm going back to my beloved Cetaphil, which doesn't remove makeup like Purpose, but it is gentle on my skin and feels good, and I can use the Differin and BP when I use Cetaphil.

This review is for the sensitive skin version of Purpose. My skin is combo, sensitive, acne prone. I used this for two weeks in the hot humid summer and it left my skin so dry it was peeling and I wasn't using any other harsh topicals at the time. Just too strong for me I guess. I did like the pump dispenser though.

on 5/7/2017 10:49:00 AM

I thought this cleanser was just ok. It didn't seem to be strong enough to take all of my makeup off though (and I don't wear a lot). It didn't break me out and it didn't have a strong smell to it.

on 4/16/2011 10:41:00 AM

Initially this product worked great for me, but a few weeks later I noticed it began to really dry out my skin. I have oily skin and this stuff ended up making my face feel flaky and really dehydrated. Also, the pump didn't work right so I had to transfer it to a squeeze bottle.

Popular Face Skincare Products