Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

4.3

Water, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Lauroampho PG-Acetate Phosphate, Fragrance, Quaternium-15, Tetrasodium EDTA. [7/30/15]

on 5/7/2017 10:49:00 AM

I thought this cleanser was just ok. It didn't seem to be strong enough to take all of my makeup off though (and I don't wear a lot). It didn't break me out and it didn't have a strong smell to it.

on 5/6/2017 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I used to go through multiple bottles of this when my skin was combination, leaning towards oily. I am prone to milia and hives and this didn't aggravate. Now that my skin is combination, leaning towards dry, it's a bit too drying, so I sometimes use Cerave hydrating and a few others.

on 7/7/2015 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

TLDR: Buy it. Now.

Pros: no "fake" scent, gentle, cleansing, cheap, pump.
Cons: doesn't always take off waterproof makeup.

This is one product that really lives up to all the hype, if you can even have such a thing with a face wash. I know cleansing milks/oils are the thing but I still prefer this. I have rosacea, oily t-zone and dry patches at my temple, so pretty troublesome skin, and this is so pleasant to use. It lathers easily and feels like it's removing oil, without drying out my skin. It doesn't have a strong smell - and I have a very sensitive nose so this is a huge plus for me. I use a makeup remover before this and have no trouble with makeup removal, but I will say if I have on heavy makeup, sometimes I'll wash, then use my makeup remover and wash again to get fully clean. Some reviews say it removes makeup but in my experience, heavier duty waterproof makeup will not fully come off. I don't wear makeup everyday, but I use this every day. I will add, this will not improve your skin in any way - but for something that you wash off, I am not sure that's a fair expectation.
Anyways, try it - it's cheap enough you can throw it out if it sucks with no hard feelings. Or send it to me. I don't know how the heck they have a cleanser at this price that works so well. I can't get it in Canada (easily) and I have brought back a half a suitcase full before. It's that good.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

My dermatologist recommended this cleanser a few years ago and I used it for a while before I gave it up. (Who knows why...) Recently I thought I should give it another shot and long story short, I threw it in the trash. My skin hates sodium laureth sulfate and fragrance so I don't know why I decided to give it another shot. Just because a dermatologist told me to use it I assumed she knew what she was talking about even though my better judgement told me not to believe her. This cleanser really dries my skin out and makes it bumpy so I won't be buying again. It's not getting a THIRD chance from me! The packaging was okay only I'm not really that into pump bottles because I travel a lot.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this facial cleanser for my acne-prone, dehydrated skin. It's a no-nonsense cleanser that doesn't aggravate my skin. Rinses off easily. I buy two of the large bottles at a time, one for my bathroom counter and one for the shower. Seems expensive for a drugstore product, but when you compare it to the higher-end cleansers that are full of fragrance and other nonsense, this is a really good deal.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask for YEARS, and that product still gets high reviews from me. But after being diagnosed with rosacea, I had to re-think my skin care, and I had to face facts that while that product helped me MOST of the time, it did more harm than good other times (I still use it as a mask when I need a 'deeper' clean).
After searching (and searching and searching) for a perfect cleaner... Purpose was it. I hate that it contains sulfates, but I have to just suck it up. It is VERY gentle (I have the type of skin that is VERY easily irritated, even in my 30's, and I CANNOT, under any circumstances, use anything 'scrubby' or exfoliating in nature). And this seems to really get my whole face (eye makeup included) completley clean without drying it at all (for the record, my skin in very oily with random dry patches). I just find it super gentle, and my skin agrees. I get the HUGE size on drugstore.com for a very reasonable price ($9 for 12 oz) and it takes me months to get through. A little goes a very long way. I also use it on my chest and neck as it's not harsh and perfect for delicate skin. I do wish however, it was easier to travel with (I have yet to fly somewhere and NOT have it explode in my suitcase; thank goodness for plastic bags!).

on 5/15/2013 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I have fairly sensitive skin. I had been pretty faithful to Shiseido Perfect Milk for years but simply wanted to change up my skin care regimen. I also wanted a product that I could buy in town and not overseas (I hate waiting lol). I saw this and remembered how my derm gave it to me when I first got eczema. I looked at the ingredient list and loved how it was so short. I saw reviews which were great. Needless to say, two bottles later, I really love this product! It takes off all my makeup and does not leave my skin tight, dry or uncomfortable. It foams nicely and allows me to glide my hands easily over my face to gently remove my makeup. (I double cleanse at night unless I haven't been wearing makeup. I do this with all cleansers. Just a habit.)

And yes this is the same as Clean & Clear foaming cleanser for sensitive skin except that the latter contains a powdery fragrance but nonetheless cleanses the same.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

YES. Thank you Jesus for allowing me to finally get something that is helping me heal. Have had such a terrible bout of severe cheek acne (hormonal... due to Loestrin... grr) and everything that I used just exacerbated and dried out my skin even more... thats never good. This is gentle enough, lathers so well, and feels clean without having that tight feeling. I'm happy and will be repurchasing. I'd recommend a very light cleanser to dry and acne prone skin types like mine.

Also, I do not use this cleanser to take my makeup off. I take it off before I cleanse.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that the pH of this cleanser is 6.5 - 7, that of water. Thats what they mean by "gentle as water."

on 4/24/2013 4:05:00 PM

Just got it and its already clearing up my face! I am very impressed!!! It's foams nicely its cheap no draw backs:)

on 3/31/2013 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this cleanser. It was one of the recommended cleansers from my dermatologist to use with a retenoid. It works great and is a bit drying but nothing that a good moisturizer cannot take care of! Highly recommended.

Popular Face Skincare Products