Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

Filtered by age: 25-29
Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

4.4

Water, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Lauroampho PG-Acetate Phosphate, Fragrance, Quaternium-15, Tetrasodium EDTA. [7/30/15]

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this facial cleanser for my acne-prone, dehydrated skin. It's a no-nonsense cleanser that doesn't aggravate my skin. Rinses off easily. I buy two of the large bottles at a time, one for my bathroom counter and one for the shower. Seems expensive for a drugstore product, but when you compare it to the higher-end cleansers that are full of fragrance and other nonsense, this is a really good deal.

on 5/15/2013 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I have fairly sensitive skin. I had been pretty faithful to Shiseido Perfect Milk for years but simply wanted to change up my skin care regimen. I also wanted a product that I could buy in town and not overseas (I hate waiting lol). I saw this and remembered how my derm gave it to me when I first got eczema. I looked at the ingredient list and loved how it was so short. I saw reviews which were great. Needless to say, two bottles later, I really love this product! It takes off all my makeup and does not leave my skin tight, dry or uncomfortable. It foams nicely and allows me to glide my hands easily over my face to gently remove my makeup. (I double cleanse at night unless I haven't been wearing makeup. I do this with all cleansers. Just a habit.)

And yes this is the same as Clean & Clear foaming cleanser for sensitive skin except that the latter contains a powdery fragrance but nonetheless cleanses the same.

on 1/7/2013 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

While I like this cleanser a lot, I prefer Acne.org's cleanser over this one. However, I always keep a bottle of this stuff around because it is a good, reliable product at an affordable price point. I use it when I travel or run out of my usual cleanser.

There are three reasons why this isn't my number one choice.

First, SLS is the main foaming agent here. The SLS in this cleanser leaves my face feeling a bit tight after I cleanse. Other chemically similar foaming agents don't do this to me. It's not huge deal since I always moisturize after cleansing but I could do without that squeaky clean feeling.

Second, this cleanser is fragranced. I don't have a special sensitivity to fragrance but my skin is sensitive in general. Sometimes fragrance can contribute to overall sensitivity issues.

Finally, the Acne.org cleanser is a comparable product in my humble opinion but the Acne.org cleanser is even more cost effective in terms of dollars per ounce IF you purchase the largest bottle size and a few bottles at a time to offset the cost of shipping. Maybe this seems excessive but I consider the cost per ounce when I consider the value of any given product.

Still, this is a solid product. If you like this, you might also like the Clean and Clear sensitive cleanser if for some reason this is out of stock at your drugstore. It's very similar.

on 4/9/2012 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I have oily acne prone skin; while this cleanser does not break me out, I do not see it helping with my acne issues either.
I prefer this for the summer time and cetaphil or purity made simple in the winter because this does dry my face a bit more than those other two.
It lathers very well and has a mild scent. Maybe my eyes are sensitive because it says that it isnt supposed to sting your eyes but if I get it into my eyes it certainly does sting.
I do not find that it is sufficient to take off all my makeup, so I always use TTDO balm beforehand or a remover wipe if I am wearing makeup.
It is a nice inexpensive alternative to use that I switch out with my other cleansers in the spring/summer.

on 10/25/2010 6:45:00 PM

I bought Purpose on a whim, from drugstore.com because it was on sale and I wanted to try something new. I am happy to report that I am very pleased with this product! It lathers well, and does a great job removing my makeup. I no longer use my oil based eye makeup remover because this cleanser does the job on it's own. And I no longer need a toner to remove the last traces of foundation from my skin! I now have a very simple routine: After cleansing with Purpose, I use the Panoxyl bar to treat my acne and follow with a light moisturizer and eye cream. My skin is looking better and better every day...

I should also add that I had used the "other" gentle face (aka Cetaphil) faithfully for about 5 years previously. Despite all the dermatologist endorsements and reading about it in numerous magazines I truly thought the actual product left something to be desired. Alas, I washed with it daily thinking I was somehow being kinder to my skin by using it. I tried both the original Cetaphil and oily skin versions, but neither left my skin feeling very clean so I ended up washing my face 5 or 6 times and getting frustrated when I swiped toner on my face and saw that the cotton ball was covered in makeup. Purpose is far superior in my opinion!

on 12/28/2009 10:26:00 AM

Animal testing ALERT. Just found out they are on the red list. do not buy any of johnson and johnson products. :(

on 1/1/2009 1:57:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This review is for the Purpose gentle cleanser. I've walked by this product for a long time, not really giving it a second thought, since the packaging wasn't really anything special, and it didn't seem to be made by a major brand (like Neutrogenia, Noxima, etc). Then I tried Cetaphil, and wasn't crazy about it (over drying, yet at the same time seemed to leave a film on my skin, which eventually my face erupted from), so I thought this would be the same, but the reviews on here convinced me to spend the $4.77 for 6oz to try it. And boy I am so glad I did. It is a tad on the watery side and isn't super foaming, so I was nervous at first, but it did an EXCELLENT job at cleaning and removing ALL my makeup (I don't wear any waterproof formulations, so I can't speak for that) in one wash!!!! I can't believe how easy it removed it!!!! It left my skin feeling SUPER clean and not overly dry (no more so than with cleansers made for dry skin). No strong fragrances, no stinging of the eyes....I LOVE LOVE LOVE this product! I am going to use this as my nighttime cleanser to wash off all the makeup and grim from my face before bed! I actually look forward to washing my face now :) I will update if things change....

UPDATE: I'm officially promoting this to HG status. I still look forward to washing my face with this every night. It still gives me a deep fresh clean feeling. I follow with a moisturizer.

I LOVE that it does NOT have any acne fighting ingredients in it. I feel like it is so effective at doing it's job as a cleanser, it doesn't need any irritating products to fight acne. Your face is a clean slate, all residue removed (which keeps my skin acne free and under control). There are plenty of products out there if you want to choose to use acne products after. I find what works best for my acne is NOT using the "acne fighting" products, and use gentle effective products instead. I can't recommend this enough.

UPDATE (1/27/09): I am still in LOVE with this product. Zero new breakouts, and I am now using it in the AM as well. I put some in a 3oz travel bottle and keep it in the shower. If I ever travel I can also just grab that bottle and be good to go. ♥ Definitely HG!!! ♥

UPDATE 8/13/09: Still using this and still loving it! It has radically changed my skin, I barely breakout now if at all. I am now only using the Purpose line, cleanser and moisturizer and I don't have to use another other skin products to keep my skin looking fresh and healthy.

This actually saves me so much money as I can toss all the acne-fighting products I've been using and more expensive cleansers. This is soooo much better than even the h/e cleansers that are $20+ dollars. I ♥ Purpose! I hope they never stop making it....although if they changed the bottle design to make it more travel friendly (not the formula) that would be okay.

on 10/31/2008 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I would say this is a good basic cleanser. Definitely no bells and whistles. Works good for my sensitive skin though and doesn't seem to cause dryness, but I have pretty oily skin. My bf person used it once to wash his face and it dryed him out something awful but he has really dry skin in the first place. I'd recommend this stuff with the caveat that you shouldn't expect any miracles.

on 7/21/2008 1:00:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I use a lot of makeup.So I was skeptical about this cleansing my face thoroughly...I used my vaseline removing my eye make up, then I washed my face with 1 pump, and BAM! My face was nice and squeaky (not stripped though) clean...simplicity at it's best...

Although I have Head to toe Baby Wash from my daughters baby shower, I prefer buying the $8 bottle for myself!!!Repurchase for me!!

on 12/30/2007 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is a gentle, basic and plain cleaser. And that is a good thing! I have worked in the beauty industry and am not won easily with claims made by the cosmetic industry. Such as shampoo made from truffles or seaweed extracts---puleez! But this does what it claims to do. Takes off your makeup, doesn't leave residue, minimal stripping of your natural oils. Like shampoo, a facial cleanser CLEANSES your face, that is all it should do. Those medicated kinds and those with exfoliants-chemical not granules-cannot do much because they do not stay on the skin long enough for those chemicals to penetrate through the layers. Shampoo is a detergent, so is a cleanser. So do not spend $18, or $45 or even higher for something so basic. Invest on serums and potions, not detergents. This is great for those using AHAs, BHAs, Retinoids, and all other potent skincare ingredients since you need to treat your extra gently, those who wear makeup everyday, oily skinned folks like me, sensitive skinned folks too and everyone else to wants a $6.99 cleanser that lasts 3 months when used twice a day. DOES NOT TRIGGER BREAKOUTS.

Popular Face Skincare Products