Weleda Iris Cleansing Lotion

No Image

3.2

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I really love the smell of this lotion, but it kind of dried my skin out. Also when I attempted to remove eye make up with it, it hurt. I believe this would be a good product for oilier skin types.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really hoped this SLS free product would work, but I feel like I just dont understand the proper method. It leaves an oily residue on my skin that in spite of the directions will not come off with loads and loads of cool water splashed on the face. Also, in using the cotton pad method I'm not a fan of wasting tons of cotton pads to remove a product.

I will use the rest of this product on my most dry days, otherwise I'm afraid it will break me out. The scent and texture are very pleasant.

I brought this cleanser about 1 year ago tried it then and dislike it as it seemed far to oily and broke me out .... forgetting about this and wanting to be natural with skin care I found it and re tried using it big mistake lol i usually eat healthy and thought that my over indulgence this weekend was to blame ... how wrong was i ... it was actually this cleanser which for the second time make me break out in little raised red bumps and whiteheads ... i have been fasting on juices thinking it was my overindulgence but oh how wrong was i ... it is indeed this cleanser ... back to my simple ... darn it !

on 12/30/2009 10:28:00 AM

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

The use was unusually complicated and ineffective ; I had to use loads of this product to get even a little bit of make up off my face and it still was far from clean.
This cleanser is really expensive on the long run considering that I needed so very much of it and it wouldn't have lasted me more than two weeks.
The smell was extremely strong and all the essential oils irritated my skin a lot, it got itchy and felt nasty.
I also started breaking out after two days. Whew.
-> I really wanted to like the weleda face line, but his is one of the most horrible cleansers I have tried, I threw it away after a few days of use.

on 12/28/2009 3:45:00 PM

Bought this while going through a general purge of SLS from my life. I have oily skin that tends to get red very easily; I wear mineral makeup sometimes and regular foundation other times, and tend to see build-up in my pores. Anyway, this takes off mineral makeup and most regular makeup quite well with a washcloth, and leaves my face soft and refreshed. It's been about a month and my pores have been staying clean as well! No weird visible white buildup; but I will wait until full-coat-of-sunscreen-all-over-my-face season to make a complete judgment.

on 10/26/2009 11:07:00 PM

This was terrible. The SA at whole foods recommended this to take off makeup before using my Dr. Hauschka cleansing cream. I feel like I had to use half the bottle to get my makeup off, none of which is waterproof.

For me, it was a crappy over priced product and it didn't seem to do anything it was supposed to...it did however, break me out...probably bc if I didn't wash good enough after using it it would clog my pores. I found I was using this to get makeup off and then having to use a regular makeup remover to get what this lotion left behind and then STILL having to wash my face. What a waste! The packaging is a heavy glass bottle that would not be good for travel. You have to turn it upsidedown and shake it.

on 12/30/2008 4:40:00 AM

This is a very nice, purifying cleanser. I prefer to pour it into a plastic bottle rather than using it straight out of the glass bottle, because I'm worried that it will break!

on 12/12/2008 1:08:00 AM

Well, I tried the OCM using Weleda Iris Cleansing Lotion, and I also bought the Wild Rose, but used it less. I tried several combinations of oils...I used this mostly mixed with Castor oil. My skin behaves most of the time with breakouts only monthly, and I'm not nearly as reactive to products as I used to be. Also, I'm neurotic about my skin. I take good care of it, and am relentless about keeping it clean, and protected. I'm also aging, so I treat it regularly with anti-wrinkle treatments like glycolics and tretinoins...my skin is very well exfoliated. I've always been of the "natural" bent though, and knew if I could make the OCM work for me, my skin would be healthier for it. So I gave it a try and promised myself if I started breaking out, I would quit. I also knew if I was going to break out it would happen immediately. The morning after my first cleansing with the Iris Lotion, my skin looked absolutely stunning (for me). No more red...the tone had become even and calm. The quality of my skin was clear and moisture-full, and felt lovely to the touch. It didn't feel like baby's skin though, it was "wetter" than that.

I check my skin daily for blackheads, and while I always have a couple, I don't normally have many. So while I was trying all this, I scanned my skin every day for anything new or abnormal. I noticed no new blackheads, but started breaking out almost immediately. I told myself it was just a little purging from stuff already in my skin, and it would go away. Well, it didn't go away, the little red cysts just got worse and greater in number...and no new blackheads. This must be why they're cysts...they form so deep beneath the surface, you just don't see the clog....AND anything cystic is very inflamed, so I'm assuming the bacteria was just running rampant with the new oiliness of my skin. But the parts of my skin that looked good, kept getting better...so I didn't stop...I kept on. Big mistake.

When I used the OCM, I applied the oils, massaged my skin for several minutes, and removed it all with my muslin cloths (from Liz Earle) after steaming my pores with the warm cloths. I did everything by the book. There was NOTHING left on my skin...no oils, no nothing, and if you've ever used muslin cloths, you know how well they exfoliate when you wipe your skin with them. But it wasn't enough. My skin continued to break out, and after two weeks, I gave it up. I tried getting my skin back under control treating it very gently, but that wasn't working either. It's been two weeks now since I stopped the OCM, and my skin is still very reactive...you know once this starts, it's hard to get it to stop...so now I'm taking desparate measures and drying the crap out of my face. Lots of glycolics, salycilic acid, and alchohol...whatever works. It's finally starting to calm down, but I'm going to have some dark spots on my face as reminders not to mess with oils again.

I contemplated all of this, wondering what our fore-mothers used to keep their skin healthy. I assumed they used oils. What else would they have used before soaps were prevelant? I should do some research. I also looked closely at the comedogenicity of the Weleda products, plus castor oil, and sunflower oil (which I used some nights without the Weleda). Most of the ingredients are rated about a 2 (out of 5), so they're not that bad. The Wild Rose Cleanser is much worse, but I didn't use that as much. Most oils are highly occlusive though...that must have more impact than comedogenicity on why they don't work for those of us with natural sebum in our skin. I also need to remember that baby's skin is not oily at all...they don't produce sebum, so a drier skin is really a more natural skin.

So my biggest question is why Weleda suggests the Iris cleanser is appropriate for combination skins. It certainly wasn't for mine. I can't imagine anyone with oil already in their skin who this would work for. Only the driest of skins would benefit from oil in this quantity that doesn't emulsify and wash off cleanly. I'm also a little peeved that I let myself be influenced by folks who don't know my skin. It was a sad case of the blind leading the blind. I've read so many accounts of the OCM not working for people, I just hope my trial allows others to stop sooner than I did if it doesn't work for them and they start to break out. No reason on earth to destroy your skin for some silly "natural" ideal.

on 3/9/2008 6:48:00 AM

I bought this cleanser last week in an effort to sort out my combo/sensitive/acne-prone skin (using a more natural product which doesn't contain SLS ) which is also a bit dehydrated and difficult right now .

Lovely blue glass bottle .

For the first 2 days it worked wonderfully , I applied a little out of the bottle , massaged it in and rinsed off with a flannel twice a day . I continued with this process every day for 4 days until I noticed that I started developing small subsurface bumpiness and break-outs all over my face in areas which do not usually break out , like the sides of my face , chin area , cheeks , forehead , basically everywhere !!!! I stopped
using it and continued using my SLS-rich cleanser ! On the 4th day I masked myself using Dermalogica's Cream Exfoliator which I slept in !And slowly , my skin is starting to recover .....

I have never had such a bad reaction to a cleanser in such a short period of time !

I think primarily it is because the oils tend to leave a residue on my skin which doesn't allow it to breathe .

This might be good for normal /dry / very dry skin types though !

I have of yesterday bought Clarin's Cleansing Lotion (please someone tell me that I haven't made another costly cleanser Faux Pas !) :-p

on 9/6/2008 6:58:00 PM

Yuk! The smell of this is awful! Made me sick to my stomach. I don't understand Weleda's face line.... Too heavy, leaves a film on the skin, smells awful. I had to wash my face again with a different cleanser to get the film off it had left behind.