The Body Shop Hemp Face Protector

The Body Shop Hemp Face Protector

3.9

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 2/18/2016 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm so excited to write this review! Cruelty-free and a product I love!!!
Okay, so I suffer from severe dry skin, especially in the winter and it's currently the winter so it was the perfect time to try this out. My skin is so dry that it becomes red, flaky and will even crack and it becomes very painful. I've been looking for a moisturizer for very dry skin for years! I then came across this. Apparently it's good for severe dry skin, even eczema!

I bought it right away since I love the hemp hand lotion. Wow, this stuff works wonders. My face hasn't been dry ALL WINTER! It keeps my skin totally moisturized. It is oily, so if you're prone to break outs or if you don't have severe dry skin, then this cream isn't for you. I also don't use it every day because of the oil. I use it every other day or when I feel like my skin is becoming dry again.

I'm so glad I found this product and I will always have some for the winter now.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

My 3 year old son suffers with eczema and had a flare up which appeared all around his mouth and was slowly working its way up his cheek none of his prescription creams worked and i really didn't want to use steroid cream, so I decided to see what I could find out on a shopping trip & i went into body shop after many other shops looking for something that might help. The assistant suffers with eczema herself and recommended the hemp face protector, it's excellent! It cleared his skin with in a week and has kept it away his skin always looks great now, so then I decided I must try this for myself and again it made my skin look really good, used after exfoliation my skin loves this cream I'm really happy I stumbled across it. I use an anti ageing serum underneath as I think this offers is hydration and deep moisturisation but nothing anti ageing as such. Will deff always have this in my house now for my son and myself :)

To Read all 33 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

My HG moisturiser. I suffer with dry skin -not quite lizard in The desert scaly- but I get eczema patches and I have to be extremely careful with any make up that I buy as it clings to my skin and flakes. this stuff is wonderful, it feels fresh on my skin, literally ice cold water in a heat wave thirst quenching, but isn't too rich to leave my skin feeling oily or like I have a ton of product on my face.
It's fine as a make up base, hydrates my skin enough too wear the product without causing it to slide.
The smell is not something I'm fond of (think herbal, clinical, grassy) it's not awful and you can't smell it when it's on but it's by no means a nice smell (to me anyway)
I don't mind the packaging too much, I always make sure to have clean hands when I use it and it's only me that uses it. Plus unlike a pump or tube packaging I can make sure to get every drop.
I knocked off a lippy simply because I wish it did something other than hydrate... Demanding I know. I suffer with spot-prone skin (not acne) and I literally can't find anything to fix that. This moisturiser DOES NOT make me break out which is great but I wish it help to calm my skin or tightened it etc. but that's just me being overly fussy I suppose.
If you're looking for a moisturiser that hydrates like no other (at a reasonably price) but does little else, then this is fantastic.

And a little tip; sign up to the body shops email list. I only ever buy this when I am notified its 40% off of there is a BOGOF offer on and suddenly it becomes amazingly cheap.

on 2/22/2014 12:55:00 PM

I have very dry, dehydrated. sensitive, and occasionally breakout-prone skin. However it's not too often that I breakout. Anyways, this product managed to make me breakout like no other ! Not too sure how, and in the beginning I really liked this cream. Then it started giving me cystic acne and clogged pores. I thought maybe it was just my hormonal, finicky skin, so I stopped for awhile. Then tried it again, but to no avail. Again, more breakouts. The cream is on the thick side, and smells herbal-y, as you could imagine. It's a nice cream if it doesn't break you out. But I don't even breakout that often, and this managed to mess up my skin. Not worth it in my opinion. Skip it !

on 11/22/2013 5:13:00 PM

Love this for winter! It keeps my face moisturized all day. I can be outdoors with the cold wind whipping about my face and I won't feel any tightness or itchiness or discomfort because my skin is well protected! Not sure if I'd use it for summer, but definitely a winter must-have.

on 11/18/2013 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I bought this as I was coming to the end of my Neals Yard Frankincense cream, and I wanted something just as rich and nourishing for my outer eye, neck and chest area Day and Night.

So yes I am really liking how my skin responds to this, superficially any dehydration issues on my neck/chest areas gone if I use this. It also lasts all day without any stickiness or claggy feeling. Make up will stay put around the eye as long as I don't use to much.
This is way too rich for my face, also it contains some known pore blockers.

The scent is a very light herb smell that I quite like. My skin likes it. Only by the time this runs out, the weather will change (mother nature you listening) and it will be too rich. Also looking at the ingredients I think TBS could do so much better.
I'm a fan of tubes, not pots, although as I am the only user and I always have clean hands, it's not much of a problem.

on 9/20/2013 4:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have normal skin, but I suffer from eczema around my eye area. I use the face protector as a night cream (so used in that context, the pricing in pretty good). You can lather it on (although you don't need a lot of product to get the benefit) and I have never have oily skin or breakouts as a result (I am not sure how it would affect users who have oily skin normally however). It is gentle enough for my eczema and doesn't irritate, and although not a miracle cure for eczema, it does help soften and soothe. I am now on my third tub, and I will continue to use this as my go to intensive moisturiser.

I used to take Roaccutane (acne medication), where it dried out my skin to a point where it looked like I had scales like a lizard! I tried using everything with no success, until I asked the sales assistant at The Body Shop what was their 'strongest moisturiser'. She recommended this and it quenched by skin and gradually restored its condition. I would always apply some as a base for my makeup, as it created a moisture barrier and did not allow the foundation to 'catch' on my skin. If you have severely dry skin, I definitely recommend this product, as it worked wonders for me.
The only concern I have is the packaging- I do not like the fact that you have to dip your fingers into a container (as it increases the risk of transferring bacteria onto your skin).

on 7/16/2013 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have reaaally dry skin. Sort of.. 'lizard in a salt desert in a sandstorm' sort of dry. I asked the nice lady in the shop for their most moisturising face thingy and she pointed me toward this.
Eh, no. Sadly it's not quite enough for this lizard.

It's useable as a day cream during the hottest part of summer (when I'm at my least lizardy), but in winter it's not moisturising/rich enough for a face cream.
I also find it leaves a slight film on the skin making it look unpleasantly waxy and polished - like car-seat leather; and feels sticky to the touch.

The smell is harmless enough. blandly green; the packaging is a jar so not as hygienic as it could be.

I know it's meant to be a face cream but I think I'll save it for my legs, after shaving. I think it may help to calm razor burn, and I don't mind if my legs look polished. :)

on 6/26/2013 6:10:00 PM

Awesome!!!! Looks like it should be a thick heavy cream but isn't at all, lasts for ages , great for really dry skin , gives you a healthy glow and just amazing !!! Love it!!