John Masters Organics Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler

John Masters Organics Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler
Joh Masters Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler

4.1

on 5/4/2011 1:35:00 AM

This is my 1st review on MUA. Love this product as it's organic and therefore has no silicones. Most of the other conditioners which help to detangle my hair are full of 'cones, so I am like "tricked" into thinking product is good & detangles but if left with lots of build-up & oily hair.

Most importantly, it WORKS well as a detangler and conditioner. My hair is super SUPER tangled/ tangly. I cannot comb my wet hair at all and if a good conditioner doesn't exist in this world, I would have chopped off all my locks and have a boy-like short crop.

Unlike what other reviews have said, I do not feel that this Detangler is heavy, sticky, etc. In fact, I use it both as a rinse-off and a leave-in (had to, coz my hair is the most tangled bunch of locks in the world or so I think, haha). Btw, I am located in Singapore, where the weather is summer & hot 365 days a year.

I love the smell too. Citrus like smell that makes me feel refreshed after my bath. The only thing I do not like about this item is the price. Though it is available by distributers in Singapore, I pay like USD23 which is like Sing$30! In US, it retails for USD16 online with free shipping and people already feel it's expensive. Perhaps I might grabt botles of the larger 35 fl oz if I ever holiday in the US.

Best part of John Masters product - they are NOT tested on animals! Such a company is definitely my top choice when it comes to buying any skincare, shampoo, cream, etc.

on 8/24/2009 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A truly great conditioner. So long as nose/skin not irritated by the scent. On straight-forward performance, the Detangler is a 5 lippie-er; bumped down by 1 for irritation. The formula is almost identical to the Rosemary & Peppermint Detangler--different essential oils, different scent--and both are very similar to the new (2011-05) JMO Bare Unscented Detangler. If you're irritated by the scent in the Citrus & Neroli, or would rather add your own scent to your conditioner, I'd highly recommend the Bare version.

Caveat: on this specific hair - basically normal, will swing towards dry ends/greasy roots if pushed by the wrong product. Fine but thick/dense. Wavy. Mid-back length. Untreated, and usually left to dry naturally.

Having said that: a great conditioner. Easy to use, and can be used as a rinse-out (left on the hair for a couple of minutes, whilst applying in-shower body moisturising oil), as a leave-in, and a dab added to the ends and underside if it's very hot and drying outside. Full of the sorts of goodies my hair seems to like: aloe vera, hydrolyzed protein, panthenol, a lot of oils (jojoba, coconut, sunflower, some borage and flax), plus chamomile, calendula, and horsetail. Decent balance between moisture and protein, which is a rare thing.

Bonus: it smells gorgeous. Citrus and neroli indeed.

Best of all: it works. Hair is detangled and moisturised. In good nick, and stays that way. Feels soft and nice, like hair in good form really. No itching to the scalp or to any surrounding skin. And I'm no longer washing my hair every day to cope with grease, nor doing so or adding more moisture between washes so as to cope with dryness. Indeed, now usually washing it every 2 to 3 days.

One caveat: using this exclusively did dry my hair out after several months - resolved by swapping over to another conditioner every couple of weeks for one wash, then back again (using up old Aveda Brilliant and Phyto 7 this way).

UPDATE [12/2009]: moved over to Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner: works as well as the C&N at its best, doesn't leave hair dry, and is 1/3 of the price. Plus has lovely nostalgic Revlon Flex Balsam smell.

UPDATE [09/2010]: tried it again for a while as a rinse-out, and as a leave-in mixed with other things; alas, skin went into eczematic mode, including over-reaction to many scented products, of this was one. No more lovely citrus and neroli for me. Though neroli oil is one of the few that's OK on my skin...

UPDATE [05/2011]: after using various other unfragranced conditioners, back to JMO and he Bare conditioner, which is the fragrance-free version of the Citrus & Neroli, Highly recommended.

The bad news is the price: CAD 22.00 / USD / EUR 20.00 for a 236 ml bottle. It's a lovely bottle, and not much conditioner is needed, but it is expensive.

Then again: it works, and smells lovely. I for one will pay good money for hair stuff that smells this good, having been seduced by Nexxus Phyto Organics and Aveda; I can never go back to nauseating fake-fruit-bubblegum, ambiguous plastication, and the like.

No animal testing, mostly vegetarian or even vegan products, using organically-grown plant-based ingredients as far as possible.

INGREDIENTS: Aloe barbadensis (aloe vera leaf juice) gel,* aqua (water), behentrimonium methosulfate, cetearyl alcohol, panthenol (vitamin B5), hydrolyzed soy protein, wheat amino acids, sorbitol, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,* cocos nucifera (coconut) oil,* helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil,* lecithin, tocopherol, glycerin, citric acid, citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel oil,* citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil,* citrus aurantium dulcis (neroli) flower oil,* canarium luzonicum (elemi) gum nonvolatiles,* cymbopogon shoenanthus (lemongrass) oil,* sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, arnica montana (arnica) flower extract,* camellia sinensis (white tea) leaf extract,* chamomilla recutica (chamomile) flower extract,* calendula officinalis (calendula) flower extract,* equisetum hiemale (horsetail) leaf/stem extract,* foeniculum vulgare (fennel) seed extract,* lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower extract, linum usitatissimum (flaxseed) seed oil,* borago officinalis (borage) seed oil,* sodium hyaluronate (hyaluronic acid), sulfur
*Certified Organic by EcoCert / QAI
John Masters Organics ingredients and products are never tested on animals. continued >>

on 8/21/2013 7:34:00 PM

Okay so I have only used up a sample but I already have the full packaging in my basket on naturisimo and I just loved loved loved this product even though I only had the tiny sample.

My hair is just so lame that I can spend a small fortune and waste half an hour in the morning every day trying to fix it up and yet the effect will last after I leave the house only till I reach our trash bins (50 meters walk from my apartment tops) before my hair goes limp and dull on my head.

Obviously if I ever meet my prince charming it'll have to be within these crucial 50 meters from my apartment when my hair is still okay or he will have to wait till my full bottle of this lovely detangler arrives in my mail.

So what does this do for me: first of all - the smell - yes it's me the lover of strong smells talking! it's not strong and it's not overwhelming but so lovely that I wish I could just spread it all over my pillow and smell it as I fall asleep. More importantly though - my hair is shiny, smooth, it helps with my troublesome fly away hair in a major way and (and I hope this is not just my wishful thinking) but I have a feeling it even adds a bit of volume to my hair.

Overall my hair looks in a pretty good condition and healthy even though my hairdresser managed to slightly burn my hair during my last visit and instead of a nice blond colour I left her place with ugly yellow hair (so I guess "my" hairdresser is not a good expression as I don't plan to revisit). On my damaged ugly hair this really brings amazing results.

I should also add that I used it as a conditioner (rinsed out) and then I added tiny bit on ends of my hair as a leave in.

on 10/22/2009 6:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My hair: fine strands, but thick in quantity. Straight, mid-length. Coloured every couple of months, washed every two to three days, blow-dried three times a week, briefly flat-ironed a couple of times a week (for cow's lick/double crown control rather than actual straightness). Sensitive scalp, prone to dermatitis. My hair is in good condition but "sensitised" by processing and is also responsive to life stuff - ill health and prescription medication.

I've been using this product on and off for over a year and have attempted to review it before, but my opinion on it has oscillated during that time and I found it tricky to pin down. It's an aesthetically pleasing and cosmetically elegant conditioner - lightweight, with an almost gel-like texture (thanks, I guess, to the aloe vera gel base) and a beautiful fragrance which alone makes it incredibly pleasant and uplifting to use. Its excellent slip makes it easy to spread and distribute. Although many botanical ingredients irritate my skin and scalp, I haven't noticed any adverse reactions to this. So far so good.

However, once the happy shower experience is over, I've had varying results. Initially, I was hoping for a "where have you been all my life?" moment with this conditioner. I was disappointed. I first used it when my hair was going through a very rare damaged, brittle phase following a colour error/colour stripper/re-colouring incident at the salon. I needed a light conditioner that performed more like an intensive one for regular use that contained some protein. This didn't fulfil its potential on any of those fronts, left a greasy residue and managed to tangle my normally tangle-resistant hair. I tried it again six months or so later when my hair was no longer damaged but was drier through the lengths/ends. This time round I found that as an occasional treatment it works nicely to moisturise and reinforce - plus gives a nice shine, pretty smell etc. On the other hand regular use provides more protein than my hair needs, dries it out and renders it dull, since the rest of the ingredients aren't sufficiently moisturising to combat the effects of the protein. As a leave-in it makes my fine, straight hair strangely wavy and flyaway. I can envisage this working well for people with coarse and/or damaged hair, and as a good leave-in for waves or curls, in addition to another conditioner that offers more hardcore moisture. I'm giving this lippies for its consistency and wonderful scent, for the effects it does give (however occasionally) and because I support the ethos of the brand. I'm not sure I'd repurchase - although I like having it to hand, the UK price is a lot for me to invest in something that doesn't outperform all its rivals. If you can get a sample, I urge you to try this, and a trial/travel size is also available. Ingredients can be accessed by clicking the box next to the product specifics.

UK details: 15.69/236ml (8oz) or 4.25/59ml (approx 2oz), lovelula.com. The 236ml bottle is also available at larger Debenhams branches and feelunique.com (free Euro shipping).

on 4/21/2006 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Okay guys. this is an update on my last review for this product. Previously when using this product I had been following the directions on the website for John Masters and mixing it with the Swet orange and silk Protein styling gel, which was giving me really bad drying results. After taking a break and trying all these other expensive pructs that dont work to lay down my thick coarse wavy hair, I decided to try this again. but this time I used it alone. I really like the way it lays down all of my flyaways, it holds like agel without any stiffness and it gives the hair a nice natural shine and smooth and silky feel. Now I can just put this in my hair right after washing it and my hair looks soo nice and smooth. this is a great product for African american hair that is wavy but thick and kinda unruly. It's not drying like gel and seems to help with growth too.

on 11/10/2010 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this conditioner. I have a lot of fine hair and as a leave-in this makes my hair too oily (even if I use just a little bit), but as a rinse out it is perfect. It detangles without making my hair too heavy.
Another pro, it is Organic without nasty ingredients. The only con is the price, 20 euro in The Netherlands.
Update 12/28: after adding some highlights in my hair, it became very dry. With this hair condition, this conditioner worked best as a leave-in.

on 2/3/2008 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Used with the John Masters shampoo the HOney and Hibiscus or the Evening Primrose dry, damaged straw like blonde hair can feel HEALTHY a miracle again. This did detangle my hair, and i also used a dime size amount as a leave in as suggested on bottle. I have tried everything since my hair became very damaged and this is amazing. Other Organic or so called just made my hair gummy a dull. This line is a real sleeper right now, but once people start talking it up and think it is going to be big. Expensive yes, but it works, and we all know if something works they can get the money for it. I was very depressed about my hair and this product line is amazing for damaged hair. Buy at Whole Foods, they will take it back with receipt if you don't like it. Also, there is no bad or harmful ingredients so over time it benefits hair not destroys it!! Love it!UPDATE August 8, 2008. Over time made my fine hair really greasy...still great as a monthly treatment though.

on 7/13/2007 11:15:00 AM

I love this product! The word "detangler" in the name is actually misleading - because this is really a very thick, rich conditioner. Detanglers are never moisturizing enough for my fine but thick, color-treated, slightly dry hair, but this was perfect. Just a tiny dab is enough to thoroughly hydrate my hair, leaving it soft and shiny but not weighed down. The scent is natural and just slightly citrus-y, and with the Evening Primrose shampoo, leaves my hair smelling clean and delicious throughout the day, not overly perfumed. I use this as a rinse-out and couldn't be happier with it, so I haven't tried it as a leave-in at all. Like the shampoos, it's a touch pricey, but I use even less of this than the shampoo so I think the cost would even out with less expensive brands that I need to use more of. And the sleek, simple, push-top bottle is perfect. I'll definitely be repurchasing.

on 1/27/2015 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been trying to shorten my shower routine, and I have been trying to switch over to all natural/organic beauty products. So when it came time to buy a new conditioner, this seemed like the perfect choice. I use it as a leave-in. It is pricey; there's no denying that, but I use such a small amount that I expect the 8 oz. bottle to last at least 3 months. I have very thick/frizzy/wavy chest-length hair.

I think part of the reason I love this so much is that it does exactly what it says it will do. It detangles my hair and conditions it. My hair felt softer after only the first use. It is by no means a miracle product though. I've seen reviews where people say they're disappointed because it doesn't tame their frizz. Where does it say frizz tamer? It's a leave-in conditioner. That's it. It's not an oil or a serum or a cream or anything meant to tame frizz or give you bouncy curls. You will have to use other products with this. That being said, this product does what it says it will do well.

does NOT detangle. hair feels limp after using. not impressed. results similar to live clean argan oil smoothing leave in.