John Masters Organics Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler

Joh Masters Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler

4.3

on 9/9/2003 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is the best conditioner that I've ever used! The scent is wonderful too! My dry, stressed out hair is so silky after I use this. I must not be without. Try it!

on 6/29/2005 4:11:00 PM

I have fine, colored hair and need a conditioner that will give my moisture without weighing it down. Voila! JM Citrus & Neroli detangler does exactly that. It has a wonderful smell. Big plus that it is also organic. Highly recommended.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is an awesome conditioner/detangler. The scent is wonderful, but doesn't last. The directions say that you can use it as a leave-in conditioner or rinse it out. I was skeptical about leaving it in. I thought my hair would look greasy and weighted down, but once my hair was dry, I just had soft shiny hair. I only wish you could buy this in a larger bottle (comes 8 oz), but a little really does go a long way.

on 2/3/2008 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Used with the John Masters shampoo the HOney and Hibiscus or the Evening Primrose dry, damaged straw like blonde hair can feel HEALTHY a miracle again. This did detangle my hair, and i also used a dime size amount as a leave in as suggested on bottle. I have tried everything since my hair became very damaged and this is amazing. Other Organic or so called just made my hair gummy a dull. This line is a real sleeper right now, but once people start talking it up and think it is going to be big. Expensive yes, but it works, and we all know if something works they can get the money for it. I was very depressed about my hair and this product line is amazing for damaged hair. Buy at Whole Foods, they will take it back with receipt if you don't like it. Also, there is no bad or harmful ingredients so over time it benefits hair not destroys it!! Love it!UPDATE August 8, 2008. Over time made my fine hair really greasy...still great as a monthly treatment though.

on 3/12/2008 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have been looking for products that do not irritate my scalp. (see JM Lavender Rosemary Shampoo for explanation) My hair is very fine so I needed something lightweight that would not weigh down my hair, yet still left it soft and manageable - my ends tend to get very dry in the winter. I finally found the right product for my hair. JM Citrus & Neroli Detangler works really great on my hair. It's soft, easy to comb thru and does not weigh my hair down with a bunch of silicones. It is the only conditioner natural or otherwise that I have been able to find that does not contain silicones. Plus my hair does not tangle up as much as much as it used to through out the day. John Masters products are also eco-certified.

on 6/26/2009 11:13:00 AM

I bought this b/c I was looking for a light conditioner that I could use in place of shampoo. I have thick coarse and wavy hair that acts up when washed too frequently. I am following the curly-girl's philosophy here. I have also tried lowpoo and nopoo. I have also had great luck with using lighter drugstore conditioners and they work great, but I am really don't like buying stuff with tons of chemicals, esp parabens and petroleum products. (And don't worry, I still use real shampoo [but still non-SLS] once or twice a week.)

In this "shampooing" capacity, this conditioner worked pretty well. My hair was lightly cleansed and refreshed without being stripped. If you're someone exploring options for using conditioner rather than shampoo a few days of the week, you might consider this option.

The real reason that I don't want to repurchase is that something in here makes my scalp itch. Urgh.

This is a rich by drugstore standards but relatively light by organic conditioner standards (since most are oil based and don't have parabens which means they can't use as much water-based ingredients). I only used it as a rinse-out conditioner but it says that you can leave it in.

on 8/24/2009 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A truly great conditioner. So long as nose/skin not irritated by the scent. On straight-forward performance, the Detangler is a 5 lippie-er; bumped down by 1 for irritation. The formula is almost identical to the Rosemary & Peppermint Detangler--different essential oils, different scent--and both are very similar to the new (2011-05) JMO Bare Unscented Detangler. If you're irritated by the scent in the Citrus & Neroli, or would rather add your own scent to your conditioner, I'd highly recommend the Bare version.

Caveat: on this specific hair - basically normal, will swing towards dry ends/greasy roots if pushed by the wrong product. Fine but thick/dense. Wavy. Mid-back length. Untreated, and usually left to dry naturally.

Having said that: a great conditioner. Easy to use, and can be used as a rinse-out (left on the hair for a couple of minutes, whilst applying in-shower body moisturising oil), as a leave-in, and a dab added to the ends and underside if it's very hot and drying outside. Full of the sorts of goodies my hair seems to like: aloe vera, hydrolyzed protein, panthenol, a lot of oils (jojoba, coconut, sunflower, some borage and flax), plus chamomile, calendula, and horsetail. Decent balance between moisture and protein, which is a rare thing.

Bonus: it smells gorgeous. Citrus and neroli indeed.

Best of all: it works. Hair is detangled and moisturised. In good nick, and stays that way. Feels soft and nice, like hair in good form really. No itching to the scalp or to any surrounding skin. And I'm no longer washing my hair every day to cope with grease, nor doing so or adding more moisture between washes so as to cope with dryness. Indeed, now usually washing it every 2 to 3 days.

One caveat: using this exclusively did dry my hair out after several months - resolved by swapping over to another conditioner every couple of weeks for one wash, then back again (using up old Aveda Brilliant and Phyto 7 this way).

UPDATE [12/2009]: moved over to Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner: works as well as the C&N at its best, doesn't leave hair dry, and is 1/3 of the price. Plus has lovely nostalgic Revlon Flex Balsam smell.

UPDATE [09/2010]: tried it again for a while as a rinse-out, and as a leave-in mixed with other things; alas, skin went into eczematic mode, including over-reaction to many scented products, of this was one. No more lovely citrus and neroli for me. Though neroli oil is one of the few that's OK on my skin...

UPDATE [05/2011]: after using various other unfragranced conditioners, back to JMO and he Bare conditioner, which is the fragrance-free version of the Citrus & Neroli, Highly recommended.

The bad news is the price: CAD 22.00 / USD / EUR 20.00 for a 236 ml bottle. It's a lovely bottle, and not much conditioner is needed, but it is expensive.

Then again: it works, and smells lovely. I for one will pay good money for hair stuff that smells this good, having been seduced by Nexxus Phyto Organics and Aveda; I can never go back to nauseating fake-fruit-bubblegum, ambiguous plastication, and the like.

No animal testing, mostly vegetarian or even vegan products, using organically-grown plant-based ingredients as far as possible.

INGREDIENTS: Aloe barbadensis (aloe vera leaf juice) gel,* aqua (water), behentrimonium methosulfate, cetearyl alcohol, panthenol (vitamin B5), hydrolyzed soy protein, wheat amino acids, sorbitol, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,* cocos nucifera (coconut) oil,* helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil,* lecithin, tocopherol, glycerin, citric acid, citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel oil,* citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil,* citrus aurantium dulcis (neroli) flower oil,* canarium luzonicum (elemi) gum nonvolatiles,* cymbopogon shoenanthus (lemongrass) oil,* sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, arnica montana (arnica) flower extract,* camellia sinensis (white tea) leaf extract,* chamomilla recutica (chamomile) flower extract,* calendula officinalis (calendula) flower extract,* equisetum hiemale (horsetail) leaf/stem extract,* foeniculum vulgare (fennel) seed extract,* lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower extract, linum usitatissimum (flaxseed) seed oil,* borago officinalis (borage) seed oil,* sodium hyaluronate (hyaluronic acid), sulfur
*Certified Organic by EcoCert / QAI
John Masters Organics ingredients and products are never tested on animals. continued >>

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is what it says it is, a detangler. It's not a heavy-duty conditioner, and I know back when I had a full head of highlights this would have had a conditioning impact of zero, but on natural hair it's perfect and just what I need for detangling and keeping static at bay. I use it with the Zinc & Sage shampoo and I think I'm on my fourth bottle. I'll definitely keep repurchasing it. I adore the citrus-y fragrance too!

on 10/19/2012 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I have bought this on and off through the years, but always come back to it! I have heavily highlighted blonde hair and use a lot of different products to bring back moisture. i use this only as a leave in because it is not moisturizing enough to use as a regular conditioner. I only use it on the midshaft down and it is great to detangle my dry hair without feeling like it is all snapping off. I have wavy to curly hair and like the way it defrizzes and it also works well with other products (all of my silicone laden ones!). I definitely feel that it is worth a try and I dont find it heavy at all probably because my hair is dry. If you have very fine hair I would definitely try it as a rinse out first. I feel like this serves as a detangling product and styling product in one. I still use other defrizzers and gel, but really dont have to!

on 8/21/2013 7:34:00 PM

Okay so I have only used up a sample but I already have the full packaging in my basket on naturisimo and I just loved loved loved this product even though I only had the tiny sample.

My hair is just so lame that I can spend a small fortune and waste half an hour in the morning every day trying to fix it up and yet the effect will last after I leave the house only till I reach our trash bins (50 meters walk from my apartment tops) before my hair goes limp and dull on my head.

Obviously if I ever meet my prince charming it'll have to be within these crucial 50 meters from my apartment when my hair is still okay or he will have to wait till my full bottle of this lovely detangler arrives in my mail.

So what does this do for me: first of all - the smell - yes it's me the lover of strong smells talking! it's not strong and it's not overwhelming but so lovely that I wish I could just spread it all over my pillow and smell it as I fall asleep. More importantly though - my hair is shiny, smooth, it helps with my troublesome fly away hair in a major way and (and I hope this is not just my wishful thinking) but I have a feeling it even adds a bit of volume to my hair.

Overall my hair looks in a pretty good condition and healthy even though my hairdresser managed to slightly burn my hair during my last visit and instead of a nice blond colour I left her place with ugly yellow hair (so I guess "my" hairdresser is not a good expression as I don't plan to revisit). On my damaged ugly hair this really brings amazing results.

I should also add that I used it as a conditioner (rinsed out) and then I added tiny bit on ends of my hair as a leave in.