John Masters Citrus & Neroli Detangler

John Masters Citrus & Neroli Detangler

4.5

on 1/27/2015 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been trying to shorten my shower routine, and I have been trying to switch over to all natural/organic beauty products. So when it came time to buy a new conditioner, this seemed like the perfect choice. I use it as a leave-in. It is pricey; there's no denying that, but I use such a small amount that I expect the 8 oz. bottle to last at least 3 months. I have very thick/frizzy/wavy chest-length hair.

I think part of the reason I love this so much is that it does exactly what it says it will do. It detangles my hair and conditions it. My hair felt softer after only the first use. It is by no means a miracle product though. I've seen reviews where people say they're disappointed because it doesn't tame their frizz. Where does it say frizz tamer? It's a leave-in conditioner. That's it. It's not an oil or a serum or a cream or anything meant to tame frizz or give you bouncy curls. You will have to use other products with this. That being said, this product does what it says it will do well.

on 1/15/2012 1:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Simply the best conditioner. It makes my hair feel soft and "conditioned," as it should! I pair it with JM Rosemary shampoo, and it always produces great results. My favorite of all of the everyday hair conditioners I've tried, both normal and organic. If you want a deep conditioning treatment, try something stronger. But for everyday use, this is exactly what I need. (I have normal, uncolored hair)

on 10/24/2011 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is by far one of the best organic conditioners I've used. My hair is fine and my scalp gets oily easily. This conditioner balances everything out. My hair is left soft yet bouncy. Plus I absolutely love Neroli, so the scent is a super plus.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I'm not usually a fan of natural/organic products...I like the idea of less chemicals and no harsh ingredients but normally am not impressed with the results. I LOVE this conditioner though. It's super lightweight so I alternate it with a deep conditioning treatment, but it still hydrates my hair and leaves it super soft without weighing it down. And I love the smell, it's very refreshing and clean. I got it for $22.50 from the Canadian site ebeauty.ca: http://bit.ly/nVDyfG but I'll definitely look for it next time I'm in the states!

on 6/8/2011 8:56:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

This is THE BEST conditioner (detangler) that I've ever used and I am sure it will be one of the best out there.
I use it with Evening Primrose shampoo from John Masters Organics and it works wonder. I always had dry coarse hair and had lots of fly-aways. But while I am using this detangler, my hair is so smooth and soft that I couldn't stop touching them. It also made my hair look very silky. I have no complaints at all for the product quality.
The only down side is the price. It is $16 for 8 oz. in the States, but it cost me $22.50 ($25 after tax) in Canada. I have short - medium length hair and I go through a bottle every month. I use this product half of a year and cheaper products for the other half. I wish it was a little bit cheaper like $16 or even $18.

on 7/13/2010 5:25:00 PM

just used this for the first time today and received complements from a couple coworkers. i have long, thick, wavy/curly, filipino hair and i used this as a leave-in conditioner/styling creme. i have been wanting to switch to an all natural regimen and this can replace my bumble & bumble styling creme, which costs more anyway. great find!!!

on 10/22/2009 6:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My hair: fine strands, but thick in quantity. Straight, mid-length. Coloured every couple of months, washed every two to three days, blow-dried three times a week, briefly flat-ironed a couple of times a week (for cow's lick/double crown control rather than actual straightness). Sensitive scalp, prone to dermatitis. My hair is in good condition but "sensitised" by processing and is also responsive to life stuff - ill health and prescription medication.

I've been using this product on and off for over a year and have attempted to review it before, but my opinion on it has oscillated during that time and I found it tricky to pin down. It's an aesthetically pleasing and cosmetically elegant conditioner - lightweight, with an almost gel-like texture (thanks, I guess, to the aloe vera gel base) and a beautiful fragrance which alone makes it incredibly pleasant and uplifting to use. Its excellent slip makes it easy to spread and distribute. Although many botanical ingredients irritate my skin and scalp, I haven't noticed any adverse reactions to this. So far so good.

However, once the happy shower experience is over, I've had varying results. Initially, I was hoping for a "where have you been all my life?" moment with this conditioner. I was disappointed. I first used it when my hair was going through a very rare damaged, brittle phase following a colour error/colour stripper/re-colouring incident at the salon. I needed a light conditioner that performed more like an intensive one for regular use that contained some protein. This didn't fulfil its potential on any of those fronts, left a greasy residue and managed to tangle my normally tangle-resistant hair. I tried it again six months or so later when my hair was no longer damaged but was drier through the lengths/ends. This time round I found that as an occasional treatment it works nicely to moisturise and reinforce - plus gives a nice shine, pretty smell etc. On the other hand regular use provides more protein than my hair needs, dries it out and renders it dull, since the rest of the ingredients aren't sufficiently moisturising to combat the effects of the protein. As a leave-in it makes my fine, straight hair strangely wavy and flyaway. I can envisage this working well for people with coarse and/or damaged hair, and as a good leave-in for waves or curls, in addition to another conditioner that offers more hardcore moisture. I'm giving this lippies for its consistency and wonderful scent, for the effects it does give (however occasionally) and because I support the ethos of the brand. I'm not sure I'd repurchase - although I like having it to hand, the UK price is a lot for me to invest in something that doesn't outperform all its rivals. If you can get a sample, I urge you to try this, and a trial/travel size is also available. Ingredients can be accessed by clicking the box next to the product specifics.

UK details: 15.69/236ml (8oz) or 4.25/59ml (approx 2oz), lovelula.com. The 236ml bottle is also available at larger Debenhams branches and feelunique.com (free Euro shipping).

on 7/3/2009 2:28:00 AM

I have really long unusually thick (thin hair but a lot of it) asian hair, past my waist bc I'm growing it out to donate. Anyways, for 2 months I've suffered dry strawish hair and i didn't have a clue why! Turns out I've been using the wrong kind of shampoo (Herbal Essence drama clean bc bf likes using it to get the gunk out of his hair---pure poison it is!) THEN i started reading about the horrors of sulfates and parabens and non ph balanced shampoos and just nasty stuff for your hair. I researched and researched and came upon John Masters. This stuff ain't cheap! But the quality.......it's wonderful to say the least. I could go on...but anyways this detangler is great. It's awesome, it's kickass, it's splendiferous! it has made my hair wonderfully soft and detangles it so well. I use a small amount, warm it up with my hands and smooth it over the hair past my ears and taddah! renewed magical wonderful hair! I use this as a leave in condition, never as a wash out conditioner bc let's face it..it's too expensive to just wash away. Well to me it is, for you it could be a diff. story. I love it. Though the smell isn't that appealing to me, for some reason it sorta smelled like fish food flakes for a brief tiny second on my hair...but I asked other people and they say 'citrusy'..must be me. I guess it smells fine to me, I just like it bc it's a great product :) Oh yeah, my hair regimen now is condition and thoroughly rinse with organic coconut oil 1x weekly, paraben sulfate free shampoo/conditioner (avalon), this daily, John Masters honey hibiscus reconstructing 'poo 1x weekly. Ain't cheap but my long hair feels freaking fantastic!

on 6/27/2009 10:51:00 PM

In the past I would spend 20 mins or more in the shower brushing out my super long curly hair. Tried tons of detanglers n nothing helped. I use this and at most 5 mins my hair is completely tangle free!!! I love the smell as well! - fresh citrus.

Smells very nice, conditions my chemically damaged hair very well.....I use it like a hair mask for a good 20-30 minutes & my hair is very soft. i also use it afterwards as a leave-in conditioner.....which doesn't hurt since it smells lovely too. i love it since it's organic & cruelty-free. price hurts a bit though:(