Sonia Kashuk Assorted Brushes

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Sonia Kashuk Assorted Brushes

3.9

on 6/14/2015 3:08:00 PM

This review is for the black handled "medium multipurpose powder brush." I'm still figuring out makeup, so I'm no makeup brush connoisseur, but I didn't like this brush. I use it to apply powder or to brush off excess powder after applying it with a puff. My main gripe is that the bristles are constantly falling out while I'm using it. To me it says the brush is low quality, and it's also a pain to pick all the little black bristles off my face after applying makeup.

on 4/21/2010 1:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Sonia is da bomb! I love her brushes, the handles are long and beautiful ( the black ones) and work very well! I reccomend these 100%. Dont waste money to MAC get Sonia brushes!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I started with one brush, then went back a month later for more, and on and on until I wound up with the complete set. I picked up the white-handled skunk brush initially, as I didn't want to shell out the cash for MAC. I don't have the 187 or 188 to compare it to, but it works great for me. I got hooked and I kept on with the white brushes so they'd all match. There are 17 brushes in the collection: a powder brush, blush brush, angled contour brush, small, medium, and large shader brushes, a concealer brush, a bullet-shaped crease brush, medium and large foundation brushes, a spoolie, a lash/brow comb, angled liner brush, a "fluffy" shadow brush that's similar to the small shader but more dense, a crease brush, a stiff, thin pencil brush, and the highlighter skunk brush. The packaging leaves quite a bit to be desired, unfortunately. The black-handled brushes are sold in rounded hard plastic cases, but the white ones are in soft plastic sleeves that keep the brush heads rather flat. Most of the brushes didn't suffer for it, but the fluffy ones--powder, blush, highlighter, and contour--needed an overnight stay or two in brush guards after cleaning. After a couple of months, they're fine, but I'd rather not have had to do brush surgery right away.
There is minimal shedding with some of the brushes when they're washed, but none when I use them on my face. They aren't as dense as they could be, but the shading brushes are nice and firm and they all do the job well. I'm not completely sold on the foundation brushes. The bristles aren't the best-quality synthetic out there, and they work better for moisturizer or primer instead of foundation. The natural bristle brushes are some of the softest I've ever felt and apply like a dream.
Long story short, these brushes are a safe bet. They apply well, wash well, and dry relatively quickly. I keep hearing great things about the black-handled brushes, so I might retire these to travel and backup if they're worth it. Total cost of the 17 brushes was under $150, but that's including 10.25% sales tax. All in all a great buy.

I purchased the black,contoured blush brush, even though I doubted the quality. I was so wrong. I consider it the best blush brush I've ever puchased. It allows you to pick up the right amount of color - not to much, not too little. I've spent more money on pure squirrel brushes as well as crappy brushes from various high-end brands without getting the same effect. I don't know about SONIA KASHUK"S white-handled brushes, but I will DEFINATELY purchase the other brushes in the 'contour' line!

This is probably the best drugstore brand of brushes. You can get these at Target. You won't pay those ridiculous prices like you will at cosmetic counters and Sephora, but you will pay more than the average drug store price. However, these do shed a lot. I don't think they are quite as soft as some of the higher-priced ones. So, if you are looking for decent brushes that you don't have to pay ridiculous prices for, buy this brand.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

If you are looking for better-quality brushes at a reasonable price, these are a Godsend! The brushes all use superior hair or nylon bristles and last a long time if you take care of them well. I used to use these brushes when I was a make-up artist for my consultations because they give great results, are reliable, and are cheap enough that if something were to happen to them I could replace them rather cheaply. Great quality at a great price.

on 2/5/2002 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought a set of these to keep at my boyfriend's house. (I didn't want to risk losing one of my $$$ Laura Mercier ones!) They are nice but not fabulous -- definitely inferior to the Mercier, but they cost about a fifth as much, as well! They do shed slightly, and I found the shadow brushes slightly prickly. I wouldn't use them for everyday application.

on 12/9/2001 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Yes, they're inexpensive. Everyone seems to like these, but I truly don't understand why. Shape? Great. Feel? Awful. They're a bit too stiff and scratchy. Pass these up at Target and head over to Paula's Choice or Sephora for better low-mid priced options.

on 11/18/2001 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Ok these brushes are high quality all the way and definately not expensive I would say they are just as good as some of the mac and other high end brushes I have used.

Popular Makeup Brushes