Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer All Day Moisture Defense Lotion

No Image

3.2

I wanted to like this product but it was just too greasy and doesn't absorb so the greasy/oilyness stays on top of your skin all day. I have dry skin so I normally love oils but this one doesn't sink in at all and just sits there even after you rub it in thoroughly. Although it says sheer, it's a very thick white cream that leaves you an oily mess. Try a sample before you buy. Would not recommend unfortunately.

on 9/10/2016 4:21:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Pros: I was able to use this as both sunscreen and facial moisturizer, as it was very moisturizing. It didn't break me out, the scent was light enough to be unnoticeable, and the sunscreen coverage was good and lasted all day. The texture is a bit greasy, but after some initial shininess, I didn't feel it made my face more oily than usual.

Cons: Very expensive for a basic product. The texture is quite thick—more like a cream than a lotion—and it needs to be rubbed vigorously to get it to sink in.

on 8/23/2015 9:36:00 PM

Pros: Doesn't sting when it gets in my eyes.
Doesn't break me out.

Cons: expensive.

on 8/17/2015 10:22:00 AM

This product really didn't work for me. I want a light weight day time moisturizer that has SPF and doesn't leave me greasy. This moisturizer despite the name sheer is super thick and heavy. It left my skin greasy and made my skin oilier throughout the day, but still wasn't moisturizing enough for my dry patches. It smells like sunscreen and it feels like sunscreen. The only good thing about it is that it has a pump.

on 9/14/2014 5:04:00 PM

I LOVE PTR products...but this one was a bust for me. It left my skin so shiny looking, and I even have dry skin that sucks everything up. Even after 30 mins I was still left with a shiny sunscreen look/feel. Also, by my 4th day using it I had 3 major pimples show up (I never break out). Other than that it did moisturize well...didn't leave my skin dry or tight.

Pros, this doesn't break me out. Which is a miracle in itself. However, I feel that my skin gets dry and flakey during the day when using this. I have combination skin, and the areas where I'm flaking aren't in my usual dry zones. So I'm a bit confused. I think this lotion needs more moisturizing properties. I'm using a travel size I swapped for, I'm not sure if I will buy.

on 1/7/2014 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This sunscreen is my daily sunscreen for the following reasons: little to no fragrance, excellent packaging and pump that dispenses as much as needed, spf30 is about what I need, and lightly moisturizing enough that my combination skin can wear this in the summer.

I will say that since my combination skin trends towards dryness in winter, this alone is not enough, an additional moisturizer is sometimes necessary. Still, for me this product absorbs pretty nicely, and what bit of chemical smell there is disperses pleasingly quickly. So this is a product that people looking for something as unscented as possible might want to grab a sample of to try.

In the US, this product is $42 for 1.7 oz of product, meaning it is ~$24/oz of product. Yes, this is expensive. However, the packaging and the very precise pump means that I hardly ever waste any product.

on 9/2/2013 1:52:00 PM

This sunscreen was okay, but I am really not into chemical sunscreens and the price is a bit absurd for only SPF 30 coverage. The packaging is very hygienic and the .5 oz one is portable (great for the beach), but nothing to talk about. It is one of the less greasy sunscreen options out there, but I still prefer L'Occitane's Brightening Shield (albeit the price is steep).

on 7/9/2013 5:34:00 PM

Active ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 5.0%, Meradimate 5.0%, Oxybenzone 3.5%, Avobenzone 1.0%
Rating: PA++; PPD 4.4
Consistency: thickish lotion
Fragrance: light sunscreen smell
Finish: Looked nice on my face - not too shiny, not too matte, but my hands left greasy marks on everything I touched
Wear: A little shiny after a 9-hour day, but not more so than usual for me.
Gym: Did sting eyes
Notes: Bonus points for this dispensing in pump form. However, this sunscreen may not be photostable. It contains avobenzone and octinoxate without any ingredients that could help stabilize avobenzone. More info here: http://www.skinacea.com/faq/sunscreen/s03-sunscreen-stability-avobenzone.html#.VMpcY2P3WkY

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Not a favorite of mine at all. Very greasy feeling versus a moisturizing effect. I happen to like a number of PTR's products, but it seems they are either a hit or miss, and never in-between.
I bought this in a package of PTR's products, the others a good sampling of products I did enjoy. If you can find his products in boxed sets, they're usually good deals and excellent ways to test his products. The sizes are also very fair.
What I did not like about the All Day Moisture Defense Lotion was its general greasiness and heaviness. A product like this type of sunscreen for my face should not be this thick and gooey. I would much prefer a matte finish and a slicker lotion. This is not. I felt I had to powder my face afterwards to tone down the shine.
As far as its sunblocking properties, it worked well enough for my pale skin. I won't be using the rest on my face, though. I'll just use what's left on my body instead.