3.2

package quality

price range

Reviews

9 years ago

Okay. I wasn't too fond of it.

About reviewer (53 reviews)

SkinCombination, Tan, Warm

HairBlack, Wavy, Medium

11 years ago

I agree with the other reviewers... this sunscreen does ball up like crazy if you rub it in too much. I found that I could apply it in a couple of thin layers, rubbing only a little, then patting it in. That prevents the balling up issue. If it does ball up, I just let it all dry and then use a light makeup brush to take it off. It does provide some moisture, which is nice, and goes on very matte. Does not dry out my skin. I haven't had any breakouts yet. Overall, not a bad sunscreen but not the best, either. I'll use up my bottle and then try something else... will not repurchase.

About reviewer (33 reviews)

SkinCombination

HairBrown

EyesGreen

11 years ago

I just can't stand sunscreens that ball up. I think it's just unacceptable (how do they expect us to go out? it totally defeats the purpose of a sunscreen!), and this one balls up like crazy! I don't remember how much I actually paid for it, although I believe the price tag wasn't something out of the norm compared to other sunscreens. I found more success with my Clinique ones.

About reviewer (68 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBlack, Other, Other

11 years ago

I really wanted this product to work for me, but sadly it didn't. I have extremely oily skin and sunscreen is a must since I had some sun spots removed from my cheeks about a year ago. The product felt nice when it went on smoothly - but that was a rarity. I had the same issues as others here in that the product balled up and I had to wipe my face down to get all the white particles off of it. It didn't matter if I used a little or a lot, or if I had anything under or on top of the sunscreen. I even tried it on my neck,chest and arms and it still pilled up all over the shirt I was wearing that day. I purchased a DDF cleanser along with this product and that is working well, but this sunscreen just didn't do it. Sadly, I tossed the return package slip and rather than spend more $$ to mail it back, I ended up tossing the rest of it.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Medium

HairBrunette

2.0

12 years ago

I also have not had the greatest outcome with this sunscreen. I picked it up at Sephora on the rec of a SA who was very enthusiastic about how well it worked for her. I think it may be personal preference - I like s/s's that are not too creamy or viscous. "Watery" sunscreens tend to feel better on my skin and work well with the usual work-week multi-layered regime of moisturizer, s/s, foundation, etc. So, this s/s didn't really do the trick (not matte, essentially, and too heavy). I also had this odd experience that others describe - while I wouldn't say that it "balled up" (?) - it did look like little eraser bits. Yuck! It was especially bad if/when I tried to use it up on my arms and then I had little white crumbs all over. Whoa.

About reviewer (323 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

12 years ago

EDIT---would prefer a mineral sunscreen over chemical but would layever this over for superior oil control surprised by low ratings - this is the best matte sunscreen i have ever uesed on my oily acne prone skin. I even use this at night thats how good a shine stopper it is. I have purchased 3 times in a row. I do sometimes experience balling up issue...not all the time though - i noticed its when I use to much of it AND i have used another product that causes it to really ball up. Surprised by the low rating - however, i have been trying out other sunscreens. I was thinking of going back to this for the summer - i have tried a bunch of asian sunblock products - and they have the WORST white overcast EVER.... avobenzone report - because i feel people misinforming others.... The definitive answer to the question about whether or not avobenzone is a stable sunscreen ingredient is that it is absolutely stable and there is substantial research showing that to be the case. (Sources: Journal of Investigative Dermatology, October 2003, pages 869-875; Journal of Cosmetic Science, November/December 2003, 589-598; Photodermatology, Photoimmunology, and Photomedicine, August 2003, pages 190-194 and August, 2000, pages 147-155; Photochemistry and Photobiology, February 2002, pages 122-125; Internet Photochemistry and Photobiology, www.photobiology.com/photobiology99/contrib/finlay/; and The Journal of Investigative Dermatology, August 2001, pages 256-267). Avobenzone has value because it is one of only three active sunscreen ingredients available in the United States that protect skin from the entire UVA spectrum (the other two are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide). Without avobenzone, U.S. sunscreen options would be narrow indeed, and unless you have a known allergy to it, there is absolutely no reason to avoid avobenzone when shopping for effective, broad-spectrum sunscreens. *Avobenzone may appear on labels as butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane

About reviewer (119 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Wavy, Fine

2.0

12 years ago

I read in magazines that DDF had good sunscreens so that's why I bought this one. I didn't find this any better and it left an annoying residue on my face that I couldn't rub in (it made my face look like it was peeling). I live in an overcast climate but I'm still paranoid about sun protection and premature aging. I wouldn't waste $30 on this again when the same $30 can buy me 3 bottles of what I use now. Pffth.

About reviewer (27 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlack

12 years ago

It was a complete waste of money for me. I could NOT for the life of me get past the balling up issue. I tried applying very small amounts at a time, even washing my hands in between applications to prevent build up in my palms - to no avail. IMO s/s shouldn't be this hard to apply.

About reviewer (41 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

12 years ago

Good, no sunscreen fragrance and doesnt leave face oily. Only flakes off if you apply too much. I recommend the organic DDF sunblock over this one, doesnt get flaky

About reviewer (2 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

12 years ago

Definitely not for oily face in the summer. I was desperately looking for non-oily/greasy SS and bought this from Sephora. Far from matte finish for my face and before it was expired, the liquid started separated so had to throw away. Waste of money :( Now, I am happy with Sofina SS in the summer.

About reviewer (228 reviews)

SkinOily, Medium, Neutral