Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

3.5

on 9/17/2016 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have a history of moderate acne and normal to oily combination skin. When I first discovered that most drugstore cleansers for normal to oily skin were over-drying and irritating my skin, I searched for an alternative. At the time, there was not much to choose from--almost every oily-skin cleanser was an acne cleanser with either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid and harsh detergents. Beggars can't be choosers, and Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser became my go-to. Fast forward to now, and there are many more choices for somebody like me. Now that I have been able to try other cleansers, I see how terrible Cetaphil actually is.

Let me start with the fragrance--a "masking fragrance" that supposedly obscures the natural scent of the ingredients. The masking fragrance is a clean soapy scent, but not particularly pleasant when used on the face. Fragrance is fragrance, and this product is not fragrance-free, period.

Next is the irritation it causes. It doesn't matter how I use it--thick and concentrated or lathered with some water to thin it out. If I use this product daily, my skin condition degrades day-by-day, becoming increasingly sensitive. Even after taking a break from this product, when I resume, I get burning around my nostrils on day one, which is usually my indication that something is not going to work out for my skin type.

Finally, may I ask, "Normal to Oily"? Really? This product does not balance my skin, and if I use it in the AM, I am far oilier than if I use something like Paula's Choice Skin Balancing cleanser. In practice, I think it is really a cleanser for normal to slightly-dry skin.

The plusses, and the reasons I did not give only one lippie, is that this cleanser is really great at removing regular (not long-wearing) makeup with one wash. Also my skin feels clean but not overstripped when I use it. Bottom line, I am using the rest of my stash as a hand wash, and won't be repurchasing.

on 9/14/2015 2:16:00 AM

I started using this product to help my skin recover from a dry and itchy rash caused by another brand's acne cleanser. This cleanser is very gentle and in conjunction with Cetaphil's moisturising lotion helped clear the rash and made my skin softer than it was before I got the rash. I have found it has also helped even my complexion, I have mild rosacea on my cheeks and it has kept this quite calm. Even though the rash has cleared I will continue using this product.

I don't have acne as such but I do constantly have a few blemishes on my face at any given time. I have noticed a very slight reduction in blemishes since using Cetaphil (been using for about 2-3 weeks now) but mostly I have found that they heal faster.

I cleanse once in the morning and feel like I have a fresh clean face. In the evening I cleanse twice just to ensure I have removed all my makeup. It slightly lathers and has a distinct scent, does not bother me but may if you are very sensitive to smell.

on 7/16/2015 4:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Ok, I'm trying this out. "Dating" the cleanser if you like.
This is a clear viscous gel with a stock masking fragrance (proactiv used to use the same asking fragrance) and IMO it doesn't need to be there. Con. It sorta of lathers which is good, because less lather means friendlier to skin. Pro. Contains SLS. Big Con.
I have been using this facial wash 2x a day and at first I used it with the companion lotion.
I began to break out, and get that weird dry but oily skin. (dry on top, clogged proes underneath) I wasnt cool happy about that and stopped using both the lotion and the wash for about a week.
Using my old standby for a while, I went back to Cetaphil to give it another try, but with a different moisturizer. So far, so good, but I am not counting on this to be the end all, be all.
The price was $20 CAD. A little spendy for a drugstore product, that's another strike against. The pH is 6.8, the same as Dove soap. I would prefer a product with a pH of 5.5 (as I am sure most are aware) but I'll keep going with this...for now.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Every single time you read anything about acne or sensitive skin, cetaphil is mentioned. Not sure why, I'm the poster child for acne prone and extremely oily sensitive skin ;( This did absolutely nothing for. It made my face feel dirty like I hadn't washed it properly. Depending on the time of the month (skin is extra sensitive during cycle) it would cause a sting on my face. Would not ever use again.

on 5/20/2015 7:16:00 AM

I personally like this product, i feel it does kind of dry your face out though and i wouldnt recommened it without other products, i have oily skin and i have seen a small improvement, i have been using this every night with two other products and HARDLY ever get pimples!

on 3/15/2015 8:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I absolutely love this product. For my oily/acne prone skin, this is the perfect cleanser for my face, as it's gentle and does a great job cleaning my skin without making it feel very tight and dry. I use it night and day and have been using it for about 5+ years. Prior to using this Cetaphil cleanser, I was using a variety of products - none of which I felt as satisfied using.

Pros:
- It cleans my skin thoroughly
- Scent is light, not overpowering
- You don't need too much to get a good clean; bottles last a long time as a result
- My skin isn't left very tight or dry after I wash it off
- Product rinses off completely - no film left behind

Cons:
- It's on the pricier side, so I tend to wait til it's on sale and buy in bulk
- If you prefer cleansers that foam, bubble, etc., you won't like this one
- It *could* be a little drying for certain people - purchase a small bottle or use some from a friend before deciding to invest in a larger one. My brother (who has oily skin) didn't like this product - felt it was too drying for his skin, yet my sister (who also has oily skin) absolutely loves this stuff.

on 7/9/2014 7:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I picked up a bottle for $7 after running out of my hg dermalogica and not having the cash to replace it. I have to say, i dont think i need to rush out anymore to get it. This is doing the job quite well and i think i expected it not to work because of the price being cheap but it hasnt given me any bad side effects aka dryness irritation or breakouts and it removes my makeup too. This is kind of a first impressions review so if your tossing up whether to try it or not i say give it a go it may work for you too!

on 1/24/2014 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I liked using this cleanser instead of the gentle cleanser. I used probably 2 big bottles of this product. I did some researched and discovered that it contained sodium laureth sulfate which causes breakouts. So I stopped using it. I have oily, acne prone, sensitive skin. I want to try the olay foming cleanser for sensitive skin to see if it works for me. Update: After trying to find a better cleanser and failed I had to run back to this cleanser. It is the only one that works for me. I have to say its my*HG* from now on. I am using Neutrogena makeup removing wipes prior to using the cleanser and I am loving the combo so far.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Love to use with my clarisonic!

on 11/11/2013 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This cleanser is gentle. It doesn't have salicylic acid but still cleared my skin. I went from having cystic acne a over my face to one or two before I get my period. All thanks to cetaphil!