Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

Filtered by hair type : Curly
Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

3.6

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

At first I thought this cleanser was great but after using it for a while my skin started burning and flaking. I thought that my sensitivity was due to the weather or some other product I'd be using but I stopped using the cleanser and my skin cleared up. I didn't really think anything of it until I gave the cleanser to my sister and she told me the next day that it burned her skin too. My skin is very sensitive so I figured it was just me but my sister doesn't have sensitive skin at all. I will never use a Cetaphil cleanser again (I don't like the gentle one either) but they do make great moisturizers!

on 9/17/2016 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have a history of moderate acne and normal to oily combination skin. When I first discovered that most drugstore cleansers for normal to oily skin were over-drying and irritating my skin, I searched for an alternative. At the time, there was not much to choose from--almost every oily-skin cleanser was an acne cleanser with either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid and harsh detergents. Beggars can't be choosers, and Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser became my go-to. Fast forward to now, and there are many more choices for somebody like me. Now that I have been able to try other cleansers, I see how terrible Cetaphil actually is.

Let me start with the fragrance--a "masking fragrance" that supposedly obscures the natural scent of the ingredients. The masking fragrance is a clean soapy scent, but not particularly pleasant when used on the face. Fragrance is fragrance, and this product is not fragrance-free, period.

Next is the irritation it causes. It doesn't matter how I use it--thick and concentrated or lathered with some water to thin it out. If I use this product daily, my skin condition degrades day-by-day, becoming increasingly sensitive. Even after taking a break from this product, when I resume, I get burning around my nostrils on day one, which is usually my indication that something is not going to work out for my skin type.

Finally, may I ask, "Normal to Oily"? Really? This product does not balance my skin, and if I use it in the AM, I am far oilier than if I use something like Paula's Choice Skin Balancing cleanser. In practice, I think it is really a cleanser for normal to slightly-dry skin.

The plusses, and the reasons I did not give only one lippie, is that this cleanser is really great at removing regular (not long-wearing) makeup with one wash. Also my skin feels clean but not overstripped when I use it. Bottom line, I am using the rest of my stash as a hand wash, and won't be repurchasing.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am in love with this stuff. I suffer from eczema flare ups occasionally especially when Im stressed or seasons change. I was about to make a doctor apt with my dermatologist then I searched eczema prone cleansers and this appeared. Before I tried this I had fine small red rash around my nose. I used this cleaners every morning and within maybe a week the bumps had disappeared and the redness had decreased. I was extremely happy I didn't have to spend a fortune on a doctor apt to make my redness disappear. Now this stuff doesn't foam up a lot but I have learned with sensitive skin less foam is better. It does have a slight fragrance but it doesn't bother me at all. For the price of this cleaners and the fact it does what it claims to do. I am more than pleased and plan to repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I purchase this while in the states as it was $10 at the time and when i eventually found it back home it was 25 euro. I found this product to be an essential in my mission to clear up my acne as i'm still a teenager i can't afford big expensive branded facial cleansers i can mainly only purchase some drugstore brands or having to borrow money or dig into savings to purchase more expensive brands. I have very oily skin acne prone skin and this product dryed my skin and removed excess oils it also dried out my spots but it did leave lumpy red marks in there place. I eventually decided to up my game so i began usuing this product with my la roche posay sensitive acne cleanser and i can honestly say my skins never looked better my ance is clearing and to give my skin an extra boost i do use the cetaphil moisturising lotion and acnecide (benzac) and a ton of sudocrem on my problem areas and once to twice a week i use a deep exfoiliating mask and a facial scrub. This product is a must have as it can be the base to every skincare routine.

on 2/21/2015 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Nice cleanser, good price, doesn't dry up skin. I just think is as good as many others. My husband loves it!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I've been wanting to try Cetaphil for awhile, the only set back for me has been the price. But I decided to give it a shot, I have oily acne prone skin. I want to be able to say this is like a miracle product but it hasn't done much with my acne. I will say that it doesn't dry out or irritate my skin which is good. I've only been using it for a month so maybe I should just wait for improvement because right now my feeling are mixed. I will keep using it and see how it goes.

on 1/6/2015 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Just bought this since I ran out of my normal wash. I had a coupon and got it for 2 bucks. This stuff is pretty good on my oily skin. However, I still have red face but it is lessened. Overall, good stuff.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I've tried so many cleansers for my acne-prone skin over the past years but never could find one that I could remain loyal to. I've finally settled on this one as being the best one for me since it doesn't overly dry my skin or cause it to break out. It's not the greatest at removing makeup the first time, so I usually find myself cleansing my face a second time just to make sure I've removed it all. Occasionally, I will mix this cleanser with regular table salt to exfoliate my skin. This is the only cleanser I've used for the past year and don't see myself switching anytime soon.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have sensitive, acne-prone, combination skin. I tried this a few times because my sister had it and thought it was alright, it cleaned okay but just made my skin feel tight after using it a few times. Well I just tried it again after removing my makeup and it BURNED ! It stung my cheeks as soon as I put it on and now I have red, burning discoloration on my cheeks :(. I didn't expect this because it's supposed to be so gentle.. I know it works for many but unfortunately it just didn't work for me.

on 6/19/2013 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I *love* this stuff. I loved it even before I started my double cleanse OCM regimen (miracle!):

1) Massage a tablespoon (or a little more) of jojoba oil with fingers into skin
2) Massage a tiny bit of water and the Cetaphil over the jojoba oil (it'll be a creamy, not runny, consistency)
3) Thoroughly rinse and pat skin dry with a towel.
4) Exfoliate a couple of times a week. I'm using a honey aspirin mask (

This has almost completely cured my stubborn adult acne, particularly the hormonal cystic acne on my neck and jawline that I never thought would go away.

Cetaphil could be a tiny bit less detergent-y (leaves my skin a little squeakier than I'd like), but the jojoba oil takes care of that for me. I wouldn't mind seeing the price come down either.

Don't make the mistake of buying the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. It lacks the castor oil that I think is what makes Daily Cleanser work so well.