Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

3.5

I've been through a variety of facial cleansers over the years, and I've had experience with your average over the counter cleansers like Neutrogena, Clearasil, Noxema (anyone remember that one), etc. as well as some higher end ones like Estee Lauder, Clinique, and ProActiv (if you can call it high end). I have combination type skin with dry cheeks, oily T-zone, nose and chin. I have dry patches on the areas around my mouth and nose, so I have to be careful to buy a cleanser that won't dry out those areas, but will take care of the other extremely oily areas of my face.

The over the counter stuff like St. Ives was serviceable, but Neutrogena, Clearasil, etc were absolutely useless. In fact, the latter two products really irritated my skin even causing red puffiness and scaly dryness when I did switch products. ProActive was just as terrible because my face was red, inflamed, and dry for days. My skin probably had the worst reaction to that product. There's parts of the months where my skin is especially prone to breakout, so I needed a strong enough cleanser that would also help stave off the especially large zits.While the Estee Lauder cleanser was probably the closest product to fulfilling my needs, it was also a little pricey.

After hearing all these rave reviews about Cetaphil, I decided to give it a try. Best decision of my life because it did everything that I needed to do at a great price and value. It took off my makeup, it didn't dry out my skin, and like some have mentioned on here, there's this feeling of refreshing cleanliness that you get after using it. It does occasionally dry out the more sensitive areas of my skin (around the nose and mouth), but my skin is especially vulnerable to that certain times of the year anyway.Some drawbacks, like some have all ready mentioned, there's hardly any lather with this product either. That did bother me initially because I was so used to that aspect with all my other cleansers, but I soon got used to it because it did its job regardless of whether I got a lather or not.

I can't say enough about this product because for the longest time I had been searching for the perfect cleanser for my sensitive, overly-difficult skin. For the price and the overall effectiveness of the product, Cetaphil is probably the best cleanser out there.

I would also like to leave a small disclaimer for some of the dissenting reviews. I think it's a given fact that everyone's skin is different. While some products may work for others, it will most obviously not work for some. The fact that Cetaphil seems to work for a majority of its users speaks to the testament of the product. I don't think it's the product that is radically flawed, but rather the difference in skin types that is to blame here. (My honest opinion)

on 9/14/2006 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've been using this cleanser for about a year. I'd heard great things about the Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, but I have combination skin and really wanted a cleanser that would take all my makeup off (including eye makeup). So, I picked up an 8-oz bottle of this at Target for $5.50.

The smell is a little medicinal, but after a few uses, I didn't even notice it. Just two pumps takes off all my makeup, including undereye concealer and mascara. I typically massage the cleanser all over my skin for about a minute, then rinse. All traces of makeup are gone, with no film or residue left over. I was actually really impressed the first time I used this, because the makeup just dissolves away -- WITHOUT drying my skin out. After I rinse the cleanser off, my skin feels so soft and clean, but not squeaky clean and tight, like all the moisture has been zapped from my face.

This cleanser is comparable to Philosophy's Purity Made Simple, which I decided to try about a month ago. I'd heard such great things about this cleanser, so I figured I'd try it. While Purity Made Simple is a great cleanser, Cetaphil removes makeup just as well -- and compare a huge 13-oz bottle of Cetaphil at around $10 (which lasts forever) to an 8-oz bottle of Purity Made Simple, which costs $25 plus shipping (so, around $30 in the end). Purity does smell a little better (although it's still an odd scent to me), and is more luxurious, I'll admit -- but my face feels the same after using Cetaphil. You just cannot beat this cleanser, especially for the price.

Regarding generic versions, I have tried the Target knockoff. It's about $1.50 cheaper and is okay, but I find it does not remove makeup quite as well as the original.

I love this cleanser and feel kind of stupid for straying from it -- especially with a $25 cleanser -- but at least now I can testify that this cleanser is just as good as a more expensive brand. And the price... seriously, you can't beat this cleanser.
continued >>

on 1/6/2006 12:34:00 AM

I can never say enough good things about this product! I used to be on prescription acne medications (mostly antibacterials), but I stopped using those as I grew resistant. I was having regular breakouts, particular on my cheeks, nose, and forehead. I used some of this while at a friend's house for a week when I forgot my Clinique cleanser and ended up not breaking out any further during that week. When I got home, I bought myself a bottle--that was 7 months ago and I have been happily using it ever since. I'm delighted to report that since I have been using this product I have been mostly clear enough of the time to see my former acne scars fade and consistently colored skin take over!

My regimen:

Morning -- Wash hands, two pumps of Cetaphil, swirl lightly onto face, then rinse and scrub lightly with pads of fingers using neutral to warm water. Dry with a fresh, soft Viva paper towel instead of using a terrycloth towel that collects bacteria between uses. This low-impact routine really helps to prevent any redness or irritation in the morning and plus I don't need tremendous cleaning after having just been sleeping. I then avoid touching my face all day and never let my phone touch my chin.

Evening -- I use a toner (Neutrogena Alcohol-Free) on a fresh cotton pad and swirl it over my face lightly to remove makeup. I do this twice, once primarily for the makeup, and a second time to penetrate the skin a bit. It's very light. Then I smooth Cetaphil onto my face before hopping into the shower. I let it soak in while I wash hair, etc. then rinse my face in the shower using a clean scrubber (not too much rubbing, just enough to exfoliate appropriately). Dab dry with a paper towel or air dry while I do other post-shower things. Then I pull my hair up for bedtime and sleep with my face on a fresh t-shirt, towel, or newly washed pillowcase for the evening.

***I have sometimes used Cetaphil as a 10 minute mask, which I think has been pretty helpful. Just make sure to rinse in neutral to warm water several times as Cetaphil can sometimes leave a film!
continued >>

on 4/4/2016 9:33:00 PM

I'm going to share a piece of advice that saved my skin. Chuck this in the bin. And toss whatever other Cetaphil products you have lurking in the bathroom with it. Since age 13 I have battled with really painful awful cystic acne that just kept getting worse even as I got into my 30s. It was demoralising (and expensive) to have to constantly live under heavy makeup. I put it down to hormones. One day a skin therapist asked me if I used Cetaphil. I said yep, always have, after all it's dermatologist recommended and great for oily problem skin. She said most of her new clients with ongoing skin issues used it and promised me if I threw it out, my skin would improve. So I did. And instead I used natural sulphate free face washes. I got over my fear of using oils and embraced organic rosehip oil products. Six months later my skin is 100% blemish free. It's never been this good. I'm amazed at the difference. The moral of the story is just because it's marketed as the cure, doesn't make it so. Cetaphil is cheap, nasty and loaded with alcohol and chemicals that will only make your skin worse. I'm not saying stopping using it will work as well for you as it did for me but it's a good start!

on 1/24/2013 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!!! I have always had funky oily sometimes acne prone skin, I always thought I needed to nuke the crap out of my skin with BP or salicylic acid and scrub the crap out of it to clean all the greasies and treat or prevent acne. Recently, I heard from a friend who had the same nuke it philosophy that she started using this because her dermatologist recommended it, and he had told her all the products she was frying her skin with were making matters worse. I figured, what the heck- it was cheap enough, I have all my other nuking products as backup if it breaks me out or doesn't work... OH MY how I was pleasantly surprised!! That Dr was RIGHT! I had no idea I was making matters worse, since using this, my skin is finally CALM and GLOWING! Barely any blackheads, and any little pimples I get are very mild and go away fast!!! I saw the results almost immediately Yeah, I LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!!! Be nice to your skin and it will be nice to you people!!! :)

Greetings, girlfriends! I must say that at 30-something, Cetaphil Normal to Oily Skin Cleanser is just right for my sensitive PPP combination acne-prone skin. With all those adjectives, other products are too harsh while the regular Cetaphil doesn't cut through makeup or oil. I use Cetaphil Normal to Oily Skin Cleanser at night, applying a liberal amount and rinsing thoroughly with just warm water and my hands. Then, in the morning, I have a separate bottle that I use in the shower (applying liberally and rinsing off thoroughly with just my hands). I use this in combination with an pencil-eraser-size smidgen of 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide gel in the morning and evenings, and Eucerin Clear Skin Formula Skin Renewal SPF 15, and my acne has disappeared. This is a modification of the Clear Skin Regimen on http://www.acne.org.

Packaging: Works.

Price: Cheap.

Lasts: Forever. continued >>

on 11/8/2016 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

In my 20's, my skin used to be flawless... I did barely anything to it and I had barely a visible pore. Now I'm 44 and have rosacea, cystic acne, sensitivities and itchy rashes.... I thought back to the days when I had great skin and thought I'd try that regime again. I have pared right back to this followed by sunscreen. OMG - what a difference! Less redness, fewer blocked pores, no underground, painful lumps.... will never try anything else again.

on 9/17/2016 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have a history of moderate acne and normal to oily combination skin. When I first discovered that most drugstore cleansers for normal to oily skin were over-drying and irritating my skin, I searched for an alternative. At the time, there was not much to choose from--almost every oily-skin cleanser was an acne cleanser with either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid and harsh detergents. Beggars can't be choosers, and Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser became my go-to. Fast forward to now, and there are many more choices for somebody like me. Now that I have been able to try other cleansers, I see how terrible Cetaphil actually is.

Let me start with the fragrance--a "masking fragrance" that supposedly obscures the natural scent of the ingredients. The masking fragrance is a clean soapy scent, but not particularly pleasant when used on the face. Fragrance is fragrance, and this product is not fragrance-free, period.

Next is the irritation it causes. It doesn't matter how I use it--thick and concentrated or lathered with some water to thin it out. If I use this product daily, my skin condition degrades day-by-day, becoming increasingly sensitive. Even after taking a break from this product, when I resume, I get burning around my nostrils on day one, which is usually my indication that something is not going to work out for my skin type.

Finally, may I ask, "Normal to Oily"? Really? This product does not balance my skin, and if I use it in the AM, I am far oilier than if I use something like Paula's Choice Skin Balancing cleanser. In practice, I think it is really a cleanser for normal to slightly-dry skin.

The plusses, and the reasons I did not give only one lippie, is that this cleanser is really great at removing regular (not long-wearing) makeup with one wash. Also my skin feels clean but not overstripped when I use it. Bottom line, I am using the rest of my stash as a hand wash, and won't be repurchasing.

Oh my God. Finally something I'm not having a mental breakdown over. I am 22 years old and this is the first time I am writing a review for anything. But I had to because Cetaphil is miracle from the gods. Let me tell about PTSD from acne. I first started breaking out at age 16 and I literally tried EVERYTHING. From biggest brands out there to home remedies of putting random assortment of my grandmother's spice box on my face, nothing worked until I used salicylic acid with tea tree. Then, puberty went away and the acid starting attacking my face and didn't do shit for me. As we get out of puberty, our hormones start to return to normal and for the most part, the active bacteria on our face are not causing the same destruction nor is the oil production as high. Yes, everyone is different, but I'm speaking generally. So we need a mild, gentle cleanser and moisturizer routine to keep our skin balanced. I got talked into buying this expensive Artistry face cleanser and moisturizer set from someone which honestly cost me an organ each time I had to buy that evil 2 oz bottle which would run out faster than my money but I used it for about 1.5 years until my skin 'dealer' told me two weeks ago they were discontinuing the product and had some replacement crap coming out with a longer list of ingredients at a higher price. Artistry was ok and it did make a difference but that honestly may just have been my skin finally breathing a sigh of relief because I stopped choking it with salicylic acid unnecessarily. Acid is a serious thing and can seriously alter the pH levels of the skin so don't be stupid like me and stick to some harsh acne wash if you are not getting active pimples but it's more of irritation. The acid may cause over-drying, hence leading to an overcompensation by the sweat glands to produce more oil, and starting the vicious cycle of pore blocking. But since I found out my old product was breathing some of its last breaths, I finally stopped crying and started looking around for some new stuff. From past horrible experiences of trying so many things, I literarily have an actual fear of even so thinking about changing my face products. So this was no joke tough for me. I started reading reviews about everything everywhere. It honestly brought back all those bad memories of trying and wasting money on one thing to another and having nothing work. But so I asked a few people with beautiful skin what kind of product they use and was expecting some response like 'oh this one that has a drop of mermaid tear, a hint of unicorn sweat, and just a dash of Donald Trump's bank account,' but no! They said cetaphil and it's only like $10 at Walmart or Target. And I have extremely sensitive skin, plus I'm an extremely cynical, pessimistic medical student, especially when it comes to trying new things on my skin, so I heavily obsessed and literally contemplated for days on what to do. Then just this past Sunday I went to Target with my sister and decided to muster the courage to buy this stuff. It's amazing how I don't hesitate cutting into people as a surgical student but when it comes to skin care, I am a wuss, but anyhow so we stood there for quite a while until I was about to just ditch the whole idea and my sister was getting pissed off at my indecisiveness but we finally picked up the fountain of clear skin packed in the blue and green bottle cetaphil daily facial cleanser and moisturizer with spf 15 and came home. I started using it that very day and only wash my face at night to not over dry it too much and it's been 4 days and no joke someone actually told me my face is 'glowing.' Who would have thought??! Moral of the story: Everyone is different so this may have a slight chance for not working on you but it's made for sensitive skin, and I am living proof of that. I can't even wear any makeup around my cheeks or chin or forehead otherwise I'll break out so I NEED to have good skin naturally and this helps. It has been only 4 washes and it's done an amazing job. I also recommend the moisturizer with spf because our skin can age early and have a lot of sun damage.... Go Cetaphil. For life!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

thee best acne cleanser in the entire world. my boyfriend lived with me for a summer and he brought this with him from home, I used it, both our skin cleared and felt so soft. we had opposite skin too. he unfortunately had disgusting pimples all over his face, I didn't even wanna look at him when I sat behind him in high school, but all of a sudden I started noticing he wasn't looking bad and just had the skin discolorations where acne used to be. had no idea we'd end up getting together, but we did and I was the girl who never had acne except for bumps on my forehead because of my bangs. he would wash his face, I would do the dry wipe off. I love that you can do both. what a genius product. without this, I can't find anything that rids me of those stubborn bumps! I have a 4 for packaging. not because it's not cute, but because I think the pump has too much power somehow. meaning when you dispense it, it f*king shoots out somewhere else, like the sink counter or your shirt. they should definitely fix that. seriously the pump isn't pointing down, it somehow points like out at you and that really bothers me. I know cetaphil wants to be obvious that they are a unisex company but their products are SO ugly haha. anyways, whether you just have bumps or you have an unfortunate pizza face, try this, it is amazing and wonderful and soft and lovely and fragrance free and just a clear magic thing.