Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

Filtered by age: 44-55
Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

2.9

on 11/8/2016 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I been reading many reviews on this product. I decided to buy both the Gentle Facial Cleanser and the Daily Facial Cleanser. I have mild Rosacea and this was recommended by my derm. She actually recommended the gentle, but since I have oily skin I'm not sure that will be sufficient to remove the excess oil. My skin also gets dried out after shower, even with luke warm water. I was using the Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser for added moisture, but they discontinued this and the Ultra Gentle from Neutrogena did not feel like it was cleansing well. I was also using a Neutrogena oil-free moisture. My face would get really red after using the moisture. So I am looking for new products. I have decided to try Cetaphil for the cleanser and CeraVe AM and PM for the moisture. Trying to limit the redness. I might use the Gentle cleanser in the morning and the Daily cleanser before I go to bed. The Daily cleanser has fragrance mask, so not sure how that will be on my skin. The Gentle is fragrance free, but may be similar effectiveness wise as Neutrogena's Ultra Gentle (hope not). Will have just try and see what happens. Same with the CeraVe. The AM has SPF 30, which is good. May use AM for the morning and PM just before I go to bed. I know some people have used PM for both morning and night, but then you have to use another sunscreen. it may just be good to go with the AM both night and day. I am spot checking these products on parts of my neck to see if they cause irritation. After one day, I do not see any irritation where applied. I will continue to test for another couple of days, if all good, will apply to face. My derm stated that if I start to breakout in red areas she will prescribe metrocreme.

on 11/8/2016 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

In my 20's, my skin used to be flawless... I did barely anything to it and I had barely a visible pore. Now I'm 44 and have rosacea, cystic acne, sensitivities and itchy rashes.... I thought back to the days when I had great skin and thought I'd try that regime again. I have pared right back to this followed by sunscreen. OMG - what a difference! Less redness, fewer blocked pores, no underground, painful lumps.... will never try anything else again.

on 9/17/2016 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have a history of moderate acne and normal to oily combination skin. When I first discovered that most drugstore cleansers for normal to oily skin were over-drying and irritating my skin, I searched for an alternative. At the time, there was not much to choose from--almost every oily-skin cleanser was an acne cleanser with either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid and harsh detergents. Beggars can't be choosers, and Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser became my go-to. Fast forward to now, and there are many more choices for somebody like me. Now that I have been able to try other cleansers, I see how terrible Cetaphil actually is.

Let me start with the fragrance--a "masking fragrance" that supposedly obscures the natural scent of the ingredients. The masking fragrance is a clean soapy scent, but not particularly pleasant when used on the face. Fragrance is fragrance, and this product is not fragrance-free, period.

Next is the irritation it causes. It doesn't matter how I use it--thick and concentrated or lathered with some water to thin it out. If I use this product daily, my skin condition degrades day-by-day, becoming increasingly sensitive. Even after taking a break from this product, when I resume, I get burning around my nostrils on day one, which is usually my indication that something is not going to work out for my skin type.

Finally, may I ask, "Normal to Oily"? Really? This product does not balance my skin, and if I use it in the AM, I am far oilier than if I use something like Paula's Choice Skin Balancing cleanser. In practice, I think it is really a cleanser for normal to slightly-dry skin.

The plusses, and the reasons I did not give only one lippie, is that this cleanser is really great at removing regular (not long-wearing) makeup with one wash. Also my skin feels clean but not overstripped when I use it. Bottom line, I am using the rest of my stash as a hand wash, and won't be repurchasing.

I am 45 years old and just discovered this. I've had oily, acne-prone skin my whole life, and only stopped breaking out within the past 5 years. I still get oily in the T-zone in winter, all over in summer; and I still use foundations and powders for oily skin. I only use moisturizer in winter. So that's my current skin type, for your reference.

When younger, I blitzed the hell out of my face with a rotating crew of alcohol-heavy toners, alpha-hydroxy acids, acne drying creams... and of course, liquid soaps that stripped my skin bare. Maybe that's what I needed back then to keep zits at bay.

These days, though, those products are just too harsh and irritating. I tried the Clinique oily skin 3-step products last summer and couldn't stand them. I had been using Dove bar soap since then, but didn't feel it was really cleaning off the makeup, and I had little bumps under the skin. I picked up the Cetaphil Oily Skin cleanser just to try it, and I love it!

You have to get used to the fact that this doesn't lather. It's a clear liquid, not a cream, but it still just kind of melts into the skin without lathering. I use 3 pumps on wet skin, and I find that it cleanses very thoroughly, including a full face of makeup with foundation + powder, and rinses off very cleanly. Gets off eye makeup, too, without stinging. My skin feels great afterwards! Sometimes I use a dab of moisturizer if I've been in air conditioning all day, but it certainly isn't a harsh or drying product. And my skin is super-smooth and calm, with no bumps or redness. Worth a try, especially if you've aged out of acne but still have oily skin!

on 8/15/2013 10:20:00 AM

I really like this cleanser...it removes makeup pretty well and leaves my skin clean and soft...I use the Laszlo splashing method..what I noticed within a week is that my chronic acne and clogged pores started to clear. I have had skin troubles for many years now and I have tried it all...After a week of cleansing with Cetaphil, I added in the Oxy pads...more improvement...I then added Laszlo' Shake It, followed by Neutrogena's Loose Mineral powder..and for the first time in a long time, my face is clear. I am so happy!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium

I have used this for quite some time (perhaps a year or more) along with my Clarisonic cleansing brush. I love that it removes the dirt and makeup, but doesn't dry me out or leave behind residue. It does exactly what it says it does, cleans with drying. I use this every night before I got to bed. Even a small pump bottle last a long time and it's reasonably priced. It's a plastic bottle so you can keep it in the shower, if you like and one pump is pretty much all you need, and a pump keeps the product sanitary and it doesn't get messy.

It might not be for the overly sensitive or dry skinned (that's why they make the gentle version). II'm 49 years old and use this.

Overall, a quality product for a fair price.

I do not love this cleanser because it does not clean my pores as well as salicylic acid cleansers, and it does not remove makeup as well as cleansing oil or cold cream. My toner cotton pads always come out dirty after using Cetaphil cleanser. I also get seriously clogged pores and breakouts if I use Cetaphil as my only facial cleanser. So I have to include BHA/sulfur cleansers in rotation when I use Cetaphil. So why such a high rating from me?

On top of BHA/Sulfur acne products, I also use sonic brush, at home microdermabration, tazorac, retinol, all for acnes. With all these, washing with strong cleansers a few times per day can be irritating especially on more matured skin. So I started using Cetaphil before tazorac, and Cetaphil with sonic brush, and have found my skin does not get as irritated. Cetaphil cleanser does not interfere with other acne fighting products. For this specific purpose, I give this cleanser a rating of 5. And for this purpose, Cetaphil works better than most department store brand cleansers.

I started with Cetaphil Gentle cleanser but found it too ineffective. I'm sure that would work for people with more balanced skin. Cetaphil for Norm/oily skin works better for me.

on 1/6/2012 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this because I have very oily, acne-prone but very sensitive skin and Cetaphil markets its products as being gentle and non-irritating. I had tried their regular liquid cleanser for dry, sensitive skin but it never cleaned well enough and left what felt like a heavy film. I was sorely disappointed w/ this product. The pump pkg is convenient and the smell is subtle but very nice. However, my skin felt really stripped after use, and became more and more irritated, tight, and blotchy after each use. Either my skin was allergic to something in it or it was stripping my skin barrier. Either way, the result was uncomfortable, unatttractive redness, blotchiness and those surface wrinkles you get from having very dry, tight skin, with increased oiliness within a few hours. Being acne and acne-mark prone, blotchiness and irritation is a huge problem for me. It felt like it stripped my skin so much that my skin revved up oil production a few hours after use to try to compensate. I gave up after about 2 weeks and will not re-purchase.

on 4/25/2011 8:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Very harsh feeling, especially to the eyes if you happen to get it in there. Doesn't lather at all, but that is not a problem. But I cannot, absolutely cannot tolerate the extreme smell! And my sensitive skin burns after use. Not even fit for hand soap because of the repulsive smell.

on 1/19/2011 3:15:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I accidently bought the Normal to Oily Cleanser, instead of the gentle skin cleanser! I didn't notice until i pumped it out, and it was clear. Then I used it to remove my eye m/u, and it made my eyes sting like crazy! This formula is horrible. I'm sticking with the original!