Clairol Nice n' Easy -new formula

Clairol Nice n' Easy -new formula

3.3

on 2/20/2018 12:09:00 PM

Used Nice'N'Easy for years. It was never a favorite but it was dependable.

Just dyed my hair with their 'new formula' black dye and it's awful.

I found the smell quite nice but it is strong and I do have a head ache at the moment and I'm considering if the smell has caused it.

Product seemed less drippy and went further than usual. However, it took 3 shampoos to get the colour to budge and even then the majority of the dye that got on my scalp wouldn't wash off and now it looks like I've got dark brown cradle cap.

Will be added to the no list with XXL Live and that eSalon rubbish.

The new formula stinks and is much darker.
I had to wash towels twice to get the disgusting odor out of the bathroom.
It was sickening - will never again use Nice N Easy again - and I have used the old product for 30 years!!

on 2/13/2018 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This review is for the NEW Clairol Nice 'n Easy hair color "Medium Neutral Brown" (#5N) which I just used. I'm very unhappy with it.
I've used Clairol nice 'n easy "Natural Medium Neutral Brown" (#118A/5N)) for a long time and I've always loved it. HOWEVER, this new color, which is SEEMS to be the same at least as far as name and number goes, is MUCH DARKER. It looks like I've dyed my hair BLACK. It's very unnatural looking.

I've used Clairol for years and I've never had such an unflattering result. I guess I'm going to have to try a new brand after over a decade of using Clairol.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I naturally have dark brown hair but lately, it was looking dull so I wanted to add a little something to it. I decided to go with nice n' easy because it advertises that it also adds some extra tones and highlights so that it is not a flat color.
I went with 120b Natural Dark Caramel Brown. A lot of hair dyes will pull red on me so I figured this would probably do the same but since it was dark I hoped it would be a little better than other golden type shades I have tried in the past.
Well... my hair is still very dark and the dye is not really very noticeable unless I were to tell you. However, there is a slight reddish tone but it is not that auburn reddish color that most dyes leave on my hair, it is deeper so it is not too bad. What I hate about it is that for some reason all along my roots it looks like there is more of a reddish tone that looks very unnatural. I haven't dyed my hair in years so natural hair vs dyed hair is not the issue.
I am not fond of it at all.
Also, the smell was extremely strong. Most dyes have that potent strong smell but this was by far the worst! It was so hard to breathe and it made my eyes and nose burn. It was terrible. I have also tried their 120 NATURAL DARK BROWN which I did not like either.
I do not feel they look like natural colors at all.
I will stick to Revlon or Garnier as I have better results and the color looks better on my hair.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Since my favorite stylist moved I have not found one that I have liked enough to continually visit so I've been taking care of my coloring at home in the meantime. I also liked that unlike Garnier, Clairol has the dedicated root touch up, which is nice if you already know what shade you need/are planning on sticking with home color.

I purchased a few boxes on sale at Target in shade 9A/102 Natural Light Ash Blonde since typically these will not pull as much red/brass (as my hair tends to do). YOU MUST absolutely dye your hair in a well ventilated area. Other reviewers posted this and I did not heed the warning. Open a window, do something because the smell is nauseating.

The formula is very liquid and tends to drip easily. After using Garnier a few times, I realized I like cream formulas so much better. They are much easier to work through your hair.

The result was darker than I had anticipated, but still close enough to blend my natural color. As it was processing, my hair turned incredibly dark brown to the point it looked like it was significantly darker but thankfully this was temporary. It served the purpose but my hair is incredibly damaged from this dye.

I've spent months air drying and using moisture masks, protein treatments, etc. If you've ever colored your hair before using this product I strongly suggest you reconsider because for me the results weren't that dramatic but caused my hair to sustain a lot of damage. The conditioner it comes with is nothing special or particularly good. I highly recommend Garnier over this despite the limited range of colors.

on 10/27/2016 12:37:00 AM

This product worked and gave me a nice chocolate brown colour but the price I paid was a burnt forehead and almost passing out from the strong ammonia fumes.

I also feel like the packaging looks old and out dated. Not very appeasing.

I was at my local Giant Eagle (grocey store) the other day and walked down the hair aisle and saw that this product was on sale. Buy two for $12. My hair was looking dull and faded and although I knew I had my forever fading ION that I get from Sally's Beauty Supply under the sink at home, I thought I'd give this a try for something different.

Well my goodness, this isn't the Nice & Easy that I used as a kid. This product was really very wonderful. I bought shade 2-122 Natural Black. And it came out soft and shiney and very natural looking. Not at all like the Blue Black Ion product I was using. My hair feels softer than I can remember it feeling in years. The color is stunning. Not fakey or too dark, just the perfect black actually.

I noticed the ingredieants on the box seem more in line with current day standards. Thumbs way up on the new improved 3 tone formula. I love it! I noticed after reading some other reviews that a lot of people seemed to think this product smelled bad. I did not have that same experience and wonder if they used the same stuff that I did. I thought it smelled pleasant enough.

Nice & Easy for me equals Nice & Beauitiful... even my boyfriend commented on how nice the color is. Which is a surprise because he doesn't seem to really notice to much.

This time last year my natural medium brown hair was platinum blonde. And I loved it. The I got bored and decided not only to go dark again, but really dark. I started with a medium brown with red tones to put the pigments back in my hair so it didn't turn a weird shade. That got me to a dark auburn. The next day I used Revlon Buttercream Dark Brown and it was amazing. Exactly the chocolate brown I wanted. For my touch up I used Revlon Colorsilk Brown Black because the store didn't have dark brown. At first I was shocked by the nearly black shade but got so many compliments I haven't looked back. And I love the dark shade, even at my age (47). And all of my resistant grays took the color without a problem. But as much as I love Colorsilk, there's just not enough in a bottle for hair that's past shoulder length. And I don't feel like buying two boxes. I also thought the color was starting to look a bit flat. So I picked up a box of Clairol Nice n Easy Natural Black with its newer formula for tones and highlights. I haven't used Clairol in a long time, and I have to say it's amazing. Since my roots needed attention but I was also going a shade darker, I did a full head application. With dark shades be sure to take care and put Vaseline along your hairline and on your ears to prevent stains. Back to the results...I left it on for the suggested 25 minutes, even with my stubborn grays. I paid extra attention that they were indeed covered and not popping out like they like to do. Rinsed like crazy in the shower and slathered in the included conditioner. Every gray hair is gone. There was enough product not only to cover all of my hair (fine, but I have a lot of it) but some left in the bottle, which assured me I had indeed covered my hair evenly. My hair is soft and shiny, not overly conditioned and limp. My damaged ends actually look less damaged than before I colored (I don't wash every day and I deep condition a few times a week). And the color is brilliant. It's a black that just *hints* at a blue black without the actual blue. This is a neutral shade that walks between a violet base and a red base, so there are no unwanted green or orange hues in direct light. I had researched this shade and saw some complaining of red in their hair, and while I see a glimmer of it it's nothing that overpowers the shade overall. I'm certainly not unhappy. I strayed from Clairol and won't do it again. And if you're like me, over 40 and want to go dark but are hesitant because it's a big commitment (which it is) and because beauty blogs say we shouldn't do it, don't listen to anyone but yourself. Color will fade eventually and sooner than you think, and you can go a bit lighter then. I spent years battling unwanted red hair and that's how I ended up blonde. But I am in love with my now very dark shade and wish I had done it sooner. And I'll stick with Clairol to do it.

on 7/20/2015 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

So far I've used/tested lots Nice N Easy colors and none of them disappoint me,they colors actually have highlights and my hair looks like salon colored, I switched from Colorsilk because the colors have been turning too unnatural and flat, the colors I've tried are: natural medium neutral blonde (103A) comes out dark super natural blonde, dark natural blonde (106A) comes out light brown but on my hair it had a strange cool/greenish undertone, natural lighter brown (115) is absolute perfection, a beautiful true chocolate brown full of highlights, warm but with no red, my holy grail was Colorsilk in light ash brown and the last time that I used it my hair was patchy, some parts came out black and now it has a very strong green undertone, they definitely changed the formula. The swatches on the back of the Clairol boxes always come out the same on my hair, the front pictures and the one on the top of the box are not accurate.
*EDIT: Nov 22/2015: number 115 is still the absolute #1 brown dye however it got really light and full of straight up orange (not even copper) highlights, I was sad that I had to cover the color but it was making me look really sallow with my nc20 skin tone, I fixed it with #116, it didn't cover completely the orange highlights in some parts closer to my scalp, this is a medium to dark brown. The more I look at the 116 the less I like it and the more I miss 115 on my hair, hopefully it will fade and I can go back to 115 and never change it.
*Nov 2016: been using #115 for over a year, tried #114 "light ash brown" for 30 minutes and it didn't make a dent on my roots, lightened them up about 1/2 a step, disappointing...

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Review for Nice and Easy - SB2 Sunkissed.

I saw it at Target for $7 and was drawn in by the 3 colors in one marketing. I was hoping for something multidemential high lights and low lights not just flat orangey (John Frieda lately).

I needed to color just my dark gross roots and hide the white grey poking through at the temple which is even more noticable on the dark roots. I color every few weeks so I get to try out lots of box dyes.

Meah - will not repurchase for 3 reasons:
1 -OUCH it burned my scalp SO bad. I could barely last! This stuff is intense peroxide!
2- It's not tonal. Just flat orange. I can handle some warmth but I was hoping for more of a natural look. This screams dye job one shade. Not the trashiest I've had (Sublime Blonde) but not the best.
3. Not the holy grail I am searching for. I want something I can use a lot and not thrash my hair. This was damaging I will have to wait a bit to try my next experiment.

It did hide whites and fix roots (the goal) but this is just too bottled platinum blonde with pain for my age. Need something more subtle and not painful.

Popular Hair Color Products