Clairol Nice n' Easy -new formula

Clairol Nice n' Easy -new formula

3.4

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Since my favorite stylist moved I have not found one that I have liked enough to continually visit so I've been taking care of my coloring at home in the meantime. I also liked that unlike Garnier, Clairol has the dedicated root touch up, which is nice if you already know what shade you need/are planning on sticking with home color.

I purchased a few boxes on sale at Target in shade 9A/102 Natural Light Ash Blonde since typically these will not pull as much red/brass (as my hair tends to do). YOU MUST absolutely dye your hair in a well ventilated area. Other reviewers posted this and I did not heed the warning. Open a window, do something because the smell is nauseating.

The formula is very liquid and tends to drip easily. After using Garnier a few times, I realized I like cream formulas so much better. They are much easier to work through your hair.

The result was darker than I had anticipated, but still close enough to blend my natural color. As it was processing, my hair turned incredibly dark brown to the point it looked like it was significantly darker but thankfully this was temporary. It served the purpose but my hair is incredibly damaged from this dye.

I've spent months air drying and using moisture masks, protein treatments, etc. If you've ever colored your hair before using this product I strongly suggest you reconsider because for me the results weren't that dramatic but caused my hair to sustain a lot of damage. The conditioner it comes with is nothing special or particularly good. I highly recommend Garnier over this despite the limited range of colors.

on 10/27/2016 12:37:00 AM

This product worked and gave me a nice chocolate brown colour but the price I paid was a burnt forehead and almost passing out from the strong ammonia fumes.

I also feel like the packaging looks old and out dated. Not very appeasing.

I was at my local Giant Eagle (grocey store) the other day and walked down the hair aisle and saw that this product was on sale. Buy two for $12. My hair was looking dull and faded and although I knew I had my forever fading ION that I get from Sally's Beauty Supply under the sink at home, I thought I'd give this a try for something different.

Well my goodness, this isn't the Nice & Easy that I used as a kid. This product was really very wonderful. I bought shade 2-122 Natural Black. And it came out soft and shiney and very natural looking. Not at all like the Blue Black Ion product I was using. My hair feels softer than I can remember it feeling in years. The color is stunning. Not fakey or too dark, just the perfect black actually.

I noticed the ingredieants on the box seem more in line with current day standards. Thumbs way up on the new improved 3 tone formula. I love it! I noticed after reading some other reviews that a lot of people seemed to think this product smelled bad. I did not have that same experience and wonder if they used the same stuff that I did. I thought it smelled pleasant enough.

Nice & Easy for me equals Nice & Beauitiful... even my boyfriend commented on how nice the color is. Which is a surprise because he doesn't seem to really notice to much.

This time last year my natural medium brown hair was platinum blonde. And I loved it. The I got bored and decided not only to go dark again, but really dark. I started with a medium brown with red tones to put the pigments back in my hair so it didn't turn a weird shade. That got me to a dark auburn. The next day I used Revlon Buttercream Dark Brown and it was amazing. Exactly the chocolate brown I wanted. For my touch up I used Revlon Colorsilk Brown Black because the store didn't have dark brown. At first I was shocked by the nearly black shade but got so many compliments I haven't looked back. And I love the dark shade, even at my age (47). And all of my resistant grays took the color without a problem. But as much as I love Colorsilk, there's just not enough in a bottle for hair that's past shoulder length. And I don't feel like buying two boxes. I also thought the color was starting to look a bit flat. So I picked up a box of Clairol Nice n Easy Natural Black with its newer formula for tones and highlights. I haven't used Clairol in a long time, and I have to say it's amazing. Since my roots needed attention but I was also going a shade darker, I did a full head application. With dark shades be sure to take care and put Vaseline along your hairline and on your ears to prevent stains. Back to the results...I left it on for the suggested 25 minutes, even with my stubborn grays. I paid extra attention that they were indeed covered and not popping out like they like to do. Rinsed like crazy in the shower and slathered in the included conditioner. Every gray hair is gone. There was enough product not only to cover all of my hair (fine, but I have a lot of it) but some left in the bottle, which assured me I had indeed covered my hair evenly. My hair is soft and shiny, not overly conditioned and limp. My damaged ends actually look less damaged than before I colored (I don't wash every day and I deep condition a few times a week). And the color is brilliant. It's a black that just *hints* at a blue black without the actual blue. This is a neutral shade that walks between a violet base and a red base, so there are no unwanted green or orange hues in direct light. I had researched this shade and saw some complaining of red in their hair, and while I see a glimmer of it it's nothing that overpowers the shade overall. I'm certainly not unhappy. I strayed from Clairol and won't do it again. And if you're like me, over 40 and want to go dark but are hesitant because it's a big commitment (which it is) and because beauty blogs say we shouldn't do it, don't listen to anyone but yourself. Color will fade eventually and sooner than you think, and you can go a bit lighter then. I spent years battling unwanted red hair and that's how I ended up blonde. But I am in love with my now very dark shade and wish I had done it sooner. And I'll stick with Clairol to do it.

on 7/20/2015 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

So far I've used/tested lots Nice N Easy colors and none of them disappoint me,they colors actually have highlights and my hair looks like salon colored, I switched from Colorsilk because the colors have been turning too unnatural and flat, the colors I've tried are: natural medium neutral blonde (103A) comes out dark super natural blonde, dark natural blonde (106A) comes out light brown but on my hair it had a strange cool/greenish undertone, natural lighter brown (115) is absolute perfection, a beautiful true chocolate brown full of highlights, warm but with no red, my holy grail was Colorsilk in light ash brown and the last time that I used it my hair was patchy, some parts came out black and now it has a very strong green undertone, they definitely changed the formula. The swatches on the back of the Clairol boxes always come out the same on my hair, the front pictures and the one on the top of the box are not accurate.
*EDIT: Nov 22/2015: number 115 is still the absolute #1 brown dye however it got really light and full of straight up orange (not even copper) highlights, I was sad that I had to cover the color but it was making me look really sallow with my nc20 skin tone, I fixed it with #116, it didn't cover completely the orange highlights in some parts closer to my scalp, this is a medium to dark brown. The more I look at the 116 the less I like it and the more I miss 115 on my hair, hopefully it will fade and I can go back to 115 and never change it.
*Nov 2016: been using #115 for over a year, tried #114 "light ash brown" for 30 minutes and it didn't make a dent on my roots, lightened them up about 1/2 a step, disappointing...

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Review for Nice and Easy - SB2 Sunkissed.

I saw it at Target for $7 and was drawn in by the 3 colors in one marketing. I was hoping for something multidemential high lights and low lights not just flat orangey (John Frieda lately).

I needed to color just my dark gross roots and hide the white grey poking through at the temple which is even more noticable on the dark roots. I color every few weeks so I get to try out lots of box dyes.

Meah - will not repurchase for 3 reasons:
1 -OUCH it burned my scalp SO bad. I could barely last! This stuff is intense peroxide!
2- It's not tonal. Just flat orange. I can handle some warmth but I was hoping for more of a natural look. This screams dye job one shade. Not the trashiest I've had (Sublime Blonde) but not the best.
3. Not the holy grail I am searching for. I want something I can use a lot and not thrash my hair. This was damaging I will have to wait a bit to try my next experiment.

It did hide whites and fix roots (the goal) but this is just too bottled platinum blonde with pain for my age. Need something more subtle and not painful.

I'm constantly battling resistant greys, hot roots and my porous ends mean I have to be very careful with home colouring. My main concern is with evening out my overall dark brown colour without brassiness or black ends. I am normally happy with most of the L'oreal Preference dark brown shades but in the last few months I've instead opted for Nice n' Easy permanent in Medium Cool Brown or just plain old Medium Brown as I've used and been happy with the 24 washes version (though it only lasts 7 on me) and I figured if I don't leave the permanent version on too long although it will just blend in my greys rather than covering them completely, it won't give me hot roots or black ends. For a touch-up on greys you have to leave it on approx. 35 mins; for first-time colour on greys you leave it on for 45 mins. I opted to do my most visible greys first - temples and parting - then the rest of my roots except for the mid-lengths/ends which I left untouched until the final 10/5 mins; overall dyeing time 25/30 mins. This dye contains ammonia and stinks to high heaven. Hell, the first time I used it, it made my eyes smart, plus it burns the scalp more the longer you leave it on (afterwards I use some Aveda Scalp Remedy which always relieves any post-dye discomfort). I have armpit length hair and one box is just enough, although my hair is not thick. A colour deposit conditioner is supplied which I'm not too impressed with, having used the brilliant non-colour deposit ones supplied with the 24 washes, Preference and Colorsilk (C'silk's a dreadful dye though). The dye is fairly easy to wash out but the first time I realised I desperately needed a protein treatment as my hair absorbed water like a sponge afterwards, so I did an Aphogee treatment after a couple of days. Ever since that first use, I've been applying it mixed with an intensive conditioner on dyeing day and in between using protein treatments, intensive conditioner and oils. But on the days I dye, it always feels soft and looks shiny regardless. Many of my greys poke through again within two weeks but because I've suffered damage from over-dyeing in the past I use the Nice n' Easy every 5/6 weeks and in between I apply Adore Plus in a rich dark brown shade to jazz it up a bit. By the 4-week stage I'm desperate to cover my emerging greys properly rather than just blending them in, but bombarding my hair with vegetable dye and color deposit shampoo and conditioner helps me stretch out my dyeing sessions. Overall, a very good dye at a great price that suits my needs and has many more dark brown shades than Preference, albeit slightly less fashionable.

on 9/1/2013 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have use Clairol for years, I used the one with the tones in it, Medium Golden Blonde. It would come out a honey color, I loved it.
Recently the name changed to Natural Medium Golden Blonde. I used it and my hair is a mess, it came out very light blonde and the color did not cover my roots, in fact my 40% gray and my normal color all turned white..
I have used this for many year, I do not understand what happened, my hair looks horrible now
I will never use this color again, obviously they changed the formula

on 4/1/2013 9:34:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I have tried almost every drugstore hair color Clairol, L'oreal, Revlon, also some at Sally's including their Ion brand.
I have dark blonde hair with blonde highlights (Natural brunette). I have to touch up my roots with a base color.
Nice n Easy is the best hair color hands down. Why?
The color on the box is the color I get, (No orange, I'm speaking to you Colorsilk). I used neutral light blonde by ION that had made my hair light brown instead and messed up my highlights.
It covers grays really well (okay I have a few)! It fades like every hair color, but it doesn't go brassy when it does. It doesn't dry my hair out and it's easy to apply. I leave it on for 50 minutes. (I use blondes #102, #104 range). It's Nice n Accurate!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Simply horrible. I remembered this hair dye from the last time I've dyed my hair which was about 2 years ago. I thought it would give my naturally dirty blond hair some dimention, so I have decided to use it. I really regret mu decision : the hair dye turned my hair ORANGE !!! Maybe Its the new formula that doesn't work for me but I certainly would never buy/recommend thin product again

Popular Hair Color Products