Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown
Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany BrownTightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

4.5

Talc, Propylene Glycol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Alcohol Denat., VP/VA Copolymer, Magnesium Myristate, Polyethylene, Zinc Stearate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol, Alumina. May Contain (+/-): CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

PROS: Very natural looking for a cake type (I sometimes use the black for nights.) The color is actually dark enough. Most dark browns are not dark enough for me. And it's not too warm like some brown eyeliners are. (I'm N15, leaning to NC.) It lasts a very long time on the eye and a very long time in the container (I use mine a lot but have had it for years.) Great for tightlining.

CONS: Takes practice to use.

ALTERNATES: LM has a brush for this called "Pointed Eyeliner brush." Very thin line is possible with it. Trish McEvoy has Brush #11 "Precise Eye Lining" that is a stiffer brush for tightlining.

ALTERNATES: Revlon Colorstay or or Almay i-color liquid liner.

on 10/30/2008 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Horrible bronzey color....not dark brown at all. How disappointing. I can't return this fast enough. Obviously, this isn't what it used to be judging by prior reviews. Thumbs down!

on 1/14/2008 11:38:00 PM

Color is nice good depth and goes on tight and pretty. My favorite eye liner ever.The color and consistency is very nice, but to get the Laura Mercier results, I think their brush is a must. I've tried it with half a dozen other brushes, but none are as good as the Mercier flat eye liner brush.

on 5/16/2007 4:40:00 PM

Don't like LM packaging, so I depotted 4 of LM cake liners into a MAC palette lol. Great color, especially for tightlining! I use the LM flat eyeliner brush - tried others but this works best. Great product!

on 7/7/2006 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

The liquid, including cake, eyeliners give me a lot crisper eye definition that lasts without smudging so I am in the process of converting from pencils. I like this darkish brown simple color. My only complaint is the difficulty in getting a perfect line. And it is hard to get the outer corners to match on each eye. I am using the flat LM brush. All in all, I can generally get a good-enough line and am satisfied with it. This product is so simple that it seems like the drugstore brands should be able to knock it off pretty easily. If they did, I would convert for a lower price, but this stuff may never run out. FOLLOW-UP: I have stopped reaching for this. I prefer MAC fluidline in Graphic Brown because it makes a more opaque line.

I never knew what it meant to have a Holy Grail eyeliner until I started using this stuff. I was so enamoured of pencil liners that I didn't even want to bother with a cake liner, the hassle of applying it was too much. Then one day at Holt Renfrew the SA sat me down and dotted this along my upper lash line with their flat brush. I didn't think anything of it and didn't buy it that day, but then I kept getting compliments on my eyes. Even my mom said they looked bigger! So eventually I came around to the idea and went out and bought it. It's fairly easy to apply with LM's flat eyeliner brush. I just add a touch of water, make a thick paste (try some on your hand first to make sure it's the right consistency), then dot it very close to your lashline. You can also make a thicker line if you prefer, but the tightline makes your lashes look thicker and your eyes look bigger. I usually wear this with just a neutral wash in the day time, or sometimes no other eye makeup at all. Wait for it to dry before curling lashes and adding mascara, otherwise you'll end up with a mess.

on 5/9/2006 5:30:00 AM

This is a great eye liner. Easy to apply with an eye liner brush! Lasts all day and nothing to complain about! I would definitely repurchase this one!

on 1/26/2006 12:51:00 PM

I have always been a little hesitant about using any kind of eyeliner other than a pencil but I had a makeover at the Laura Mercier counter and decided to buy it. I have fallen in love with it! I have oily skin so most products end up smearing below my eyes but this stays put all day. I think it is able to define the lash line in a way pencils cannot. I wasn't crazy about the price but I have had it over a year and it is still going strong. I also received the bleu marine shade for Christmas and I love it just as much!

on 1/23/2006 7:36:00 PM

I *love* the LM cake liners. They are truly the first and only liners that I have ever been able to make look right on me. This dark brown is perfect for my fair skin and green eyes, not as harsh as black but still provides great definition. I apply with saline and a flat brush and it lasts all day. The amount you get lasts forever too - so worth it.

on 12/23/2005 12:49:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is pretty amazing. I have never been much for doing eyeliner because it just never looked that good compared to all the trouble of application. And cake eyeliner conjures up old 1950's makeup, complicated and messy, but this is just the opposite. It took the LM MA all of a minute to show me how to use this, took another minute for me to try it myself (she did one eye, I did the other), and I was hooked. It looks different from the usual eyeliner, much more natural but very effective at defining the eye. And it's so easy, I promise! Once it's on, it stays on until you remove it. You do need a flat eyeliner brush to apply this (I am currently using a flat brush from the art store) and it's recommended that you wash the brush after every use (otherwise the liner will dry on it and get, well, cakey). The other thing I love about this is that you can make the color lighter or deeper by varying the amount of water you use. I mix it up on the back of my hand like the MA showed me. Try this, you will love it. UPDATE 4/14/06: I'm using this nearly every day, has become a HG. Love it!