Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown
Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany BrownTightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

4.3

Talc, Propylene Glycol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Alcohol Denat., VP/VA Copolymer, Magnesium Myristate, Polyethylene, Zinc Stearate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol, Alumina. May Contain (+/-): CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

on 1/17/2016 11:37:00 AM

I'm 57 years old and have become a fan of the tightline method. I had heard such great comments about this cake eyeliner I decided to try it. Prior to that I had been using a dark brown shade of elf gel eyeliner in a little tub. Anyway, I do not like the color of this brown eyeliner. Way too much red for me. I returned it to Sephora.

on 8/28/2015 9:42:00 PM

I have used this on and off for years. The color is beautiful, but it can be a little tricky to use sometimes. If I use too much water, it becomes a smeary mess. If I use too little, it drags and doesn't really show up. I am also concerned about safety since this is used wet, so I make sure to replace it often.

on 11/27/2013 1:19:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Dry, difficult to use on the go, chalky, and generally underwhelming. I was told my the sales assistant that I wouldn't need the activator - even though I said I would buy it if it was necessary or really improved the product. If this worked well it would be great, I love the packaging and find it is easy to carry around... but try getting a defined eye! very, very difficult in my experience. And I'm using a gorgeous hakuhodo tightlining brush.

HATE this, I heard they changed the formula, I got this a few months ago and I would not recomend this.
The colour itself is very nice and rich brown but the texture is dry and you hardly get any product with your finger or brushes I tried it wet and still no results.
You can't get the product out at all, I had to throw mine away because it was just a real waste of money.
Really disappointed!

PROS: Very natural looking for a cake type (I sometimes use the black for nights.) The color is actually dark enough. Most dark browns are not dark enough for me. And it's not too warm like some brown eyeliners are. (I'm N15, leaning to NC.) It lasts a very long time on the eye and a very long time in the container (I use mine a lot but have had it for years.) Great for tightlining.

CONS: Takes practice to use.

ALTERNATES: LM has a brush for this called "Pointed Eyeliner brush." Very thin line is possible with it. Trish McEvoy has Brush #11 "Precise Eye Lining" that is a stiffer brush for tightlining.

ALTERNATES: Revlon Colorstay or or Almay i-color liquid liner.

on 1/14/2008 11:38:00 PM

Color is nice good depth and goes on tight and pretty. My favorite eye liner ever.The color and consistency is very nice, but to get the Laura Mercier results, I think their brush is a must. I've tried it with half a dozen other brushes, but none are as good as the Mercier flat eye liner brush.

on 5/16/2007 4:40:00 PM

Don't like LM packaging, so I depotted 4 of LM cake liners into a MAC palette lol. Great color, especially for tightlining! I use the LM flat eyeliner brush - tried others but this works best. Great product!

on 6/2/2006 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Perfect natural brown liner. It's not as heavy as pencil and just darkens the lash line. You can apply a thicker past for darker color. I'm not giving this a 5 because it does fade somewhat through the day, but still visible.. not unexpected since it rubs off with water and i guess facial oil. But even if it smudges, you dont see a smear so that's good. Also, of course it's not exactly as easy to use as a pencil since you need a damp brush for this. Other than that, this product lasts forever! I can't imagine using this up anytime soon. Good buy.

on 5/1/2006 5:30:00 PM

I echo all the positive reviews here. Just want to add that this product is very gentle on the eye. If you use the LM flat brush, you just dab the liner with the wet brush, and there is no tugging, etc. whatsoever. I also like the fact that it is water-based. The liner comes off very easily with soap and water. The mahogany color is a very classic, dark, matte brown that works beautifully as an alternative to black.

on 2/23/2006 9:21:00 AM

I have both this and blue marine. Excellent found in my opinion. It's fool proof and very travel friendly. The only drawback is that you have extra work to do that is dampen your brush before puting this on. I use brushes like Bobbi's ultra fine liner, Aucoin angled eyeliner, and Mcevoy's flat liner depending on what look I want to achieve.. all three works well with this cake form. Mahagony is a tad too flat on my FFF Asian skin tone..not sharp enough. I don't complain though because this is the liner I reached out to most in the day makeup or whenever I want jsut a little definition. It's just that Blue marine is my Fave, so fine...