Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown
Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany BrownTightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

3.8

Talc, Propylene Glycol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Alcohol Denat., VP/VA Copolymer, Magnesium Myristate, Polyethylene, Zinc Stearate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol, Alumina. May Contain (+/-): CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It took a little getting used to with the application and needing to wet the brush and making sure that it is flat enough to work across the eye and not too wet that it runs and is watery. But once I found the right balance I quickly became a fan. It's a sorest color for me during the day and when I'm doing a more neutral look. I have fair skin and hazel eyes and it works. It lasts for a long day and is easily removable with eye makeup remover and a cotton ball. I also have a deep blue and black for other occasions.

on 8/28/2015 9:42:00 PM

I have used this on and off for years. The color is beautiful, but it can be a little tricky to use sometimes. If I use too much water, it becomes a smeary mess. If I use too little, it drags and doesn't really show up. I am also concerned about safety since this is used wet, so I make sure to replace it often.

on 2/9/2014 3:59:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Very unflattering on my complexion too pale a brown and draws out the sallowness around my eyes, quality wise generally disappointing in general. Takes alot of work to apply and even then the payoff is patchy and chalky don't even think of using this dry you will get zero payoff. I have the emerald green though and it is alot better than this shade.

on 11/27/2013 1:19:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Dry, difficult to use on the go, chalky, and generally underwhelming. I was told my the sales assistant that I wouldn't need the activator - even though I said I would buy it if it was necessary or really improved the product. If this worked well it would be great, I love the packaging and find it is easy to carry around... but try getting a defined eye! very, very difficult in my experience. And I'm using a gorgeous hakuhodo tightlining brush.

on 9/15/2012 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My favorite eyeliner ever and the only one I really use now. Still working on my first pan...this stuff lasts forever! If I ever run out, I'm buying another!

Edited 2/24/15: Still my go-to! I've tried others, but everything else smudges on me. The very dark brown suits me better than black and doesn't budge all day.

HATE this, I heard they changed the formula, I got this a few months ago and I would not recomend this.
The colour itself is very nice and rich brown but the texture is dry and you hardly get any product with your finger or brushes I tried it wet and still no results.
You can't get the product out at all, I had to throw mine away because it was just a real waste of money.
Really disappointed!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Best. Liner. Ever. Used. (so far, not to say I won't find a better one, etc., etc.)

I'm just using this for tightlining--as it makes a huge difference on pale lashes, before putting on mascara, making them look thicker and lusher as emphasizing the roots. Previously used gel/cream liners in pots (mainly Clinique, Bobbi Brown, Stila) and self-sharpening pencils (Clinique, Origins, Almay, Maybelline, etc.). Currently using the old teeny flat-top brush that came with my Clinique Brush-on Liner in Black Honey.

LM's version can be used wet or dry; I've had best results with wet so far (dampen brush, swirl in pan, easy peasy). The colour isn't as exciting in the pan as, say, Black Honey or other shimmery glittery complex many-shaded colours. Three shades are available, and all quite flat and functional: this mahogany brown, plus a black and a navy. I'm using the brown as I look odd with black liner (too much on a pale redhead); and while it may look a bit dull in the pan, it does exactly the same as any other liner once on the eye: makes lashes look better, but without a noticeable harsh black line. A YBB effect.

Now, see, I've found that while colours look very different in the pan--that's spread over a pretty big surface area. And while I can see some difference between shades of brown, and greater or lesser degree of glimmer, once they're applied--that's peering up close at a very fine line, and when I say up close, this is a short-sighted person peering with their glasses off. Similar to using a magnifying glass for those unfortunate "normal"-sighted people out there. While these things are very pleasing to me for a few moments of the day, there's frankly no discernible difference between a duller liner like this one and a more interesting one like BH.

Colour aside: the cake is a dream to apply, and leaves no clumps, globs, inconsistencies. Just a smooth filling in of all the gaps between lashes, resulting in a nice even lash line, and that illusion of luxuriance ... Little is needed, and there's less wastage than I've had with the cream/gel liners; given that they lasted a good year or two, this should be good for a while and thus a decent buy. Certainly better than the pricey twist-up pencils, yet as lightweight and portable for travel.

USD22.00 / CAD27.00 for 2.2 g. Cruelty-free, sensitive-friendly, no irritation (tested with afternoon naps), lasts all day. Commendation on the nice subtle packaging: dark reddish-brown solid plastic with some gleam to it, simple silvery lettering.

INGREDIENTS: Talc, Propylene Glycol, PVP/PA Copolymer, DEA-C8-18 Perfluoroalkylethyl Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polyethylene, Magnesium Myristate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Zinc Stearate, Mineral Oil, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Iron Oxides (CI 77491). May contain: Ultramarines (CI 77007), Carmine (CI 75470), Manganese Violet (CI 77742). continued >>

PROS: Very natural looking for a cake type (I sometimes use the black for nights.) The color is actually dark enough. Most dark browns are not dark enough for me. And it's not too warm like some brown eyeliners are. (I'm N15, leaning to NC.) It lasts a very long time on the eye and a very long time in the container (I use mine a lot but have had it for years.) Great for tightlining.

CONS: Takes practice to use.

ALTERNATES: LM has a brush for this called "Pointed Eyeliner brush." Very thin line is possible with it. Trish McEvoy has Brush #11 "Precise Eye Lining" that is a stiffer brush for tightlining.

ALTERNATES: Revlon Colorstay or or Almay i-color liquid liner.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this liner along with the flat-headed brush last week and am not thrilled. The line is very sheer and takes a long time to build up. Also, the wet-brush method is kind of a pain. I'm actually not sure how the cake liner is any different from regular eye shadow. Now I'm layering it over a pencil to make sure that the line gets right into the lashes. It works well for that purpose, but it's not much on its own.

on 12/17/2008 11:10:00 PM

I have this eyeliner in Black Ebony and have been buying it for years because it's so wonderful - so I expected Mahogany to be great too. However -- I threw this product out after trying it two or three times. I have extremely (VERY!!!!) fair skin, and yet the color hardly showed up on my eyes. I put layers and layers, but you could barely see the brown at all. I finally gave up and threw it out! What a waste of money. This was especially disappointing because I am a huge fan of Laura Mercier and have many of her products, but this was just horrible.