Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown
Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany BrownTightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

Talc, Propylene Glycol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Alcohol Denat., VP/VA Copolymer, Magnesium Myristate, Polyethylene, Zinc Stearate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol, Alumina. May Contain (+/-): CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

on 3/19/2013 10:32:00 PM

To me it's a Holy Grail product. I've NEVER had a good eyeliner experience. I have hooded eyes and oily eyelids, for years I just assumed that I was bound to never be able wear anything else besides mascara... until I saw a "tightlining technique" video (it consists of lining between the root of your eyelashes from below the top lashes with a small flat eyeliner brush). I decided to give it a try and because that area doesn't come in contact with the eyelid it stays perfect all day! The Mahogany Brown works really great for me: it gives definition without looking harsh in the daytime. I might buy the ebony one down the road. I'll post some photos because in the pictures the brown looks like it wouldn't be dark enough but once it's wet becomes a rich brown.

I was looking for something more natural looking. Nothing heavy handed. I had never used a wet the cake eyeliner before. There was a slight learning curve. A decent eyeliner brush helps. You do have to add another drop of water now and then and give that a few seconds to loosen the color up some. I learned to poke the brush up into my lash line from the underside first and then finish on top. Lasts all day with absolutely no flaking or smudging. I would buy again but I have a feeling this cake will last a very long time. Great product for me.

on 9/15/2012 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My favorite eyeliner ever and the only one I really use now. Still working on my first pan...this stuff lasts forever! If I ever run out, I'm buying another!

Edited 2/24/15: Still my go-to! I've tried others, but everything else smudges on me. The very dark brown suits me better than black and doesn't budge all day.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Best. Liner. Ever. Used. (so far, not to say I won't find a better one, etc., etc.)

I'm just using this for tightlining--as it makes a huge difference on pale lashes, before putting on mascara, making them look thicker and lusher as emphasizing the roots. Previously used gel/cream liners in pots (mainly Clinique, Bobbi Brown, Stila) and self-sharpening pencils (Clinique, Origins, Almay, Maybelline, etc.). Currently using the old teeny flat-top brush that came with my Clinique Brush-on Liner in Black Honey.

LM's version can be used wet or dry; I've had best results with wet so far (dampen brush, swirl in pan, easy peasy). The colour isn't as exciting in the pan as, say, Black Honey or other shimmery glittery complex many-shaded colours. Three shades are available, and all quite flat and functional: this mahogany brown, plus a black and a navy. I'm using the brown as I look odd with black liner (too much on a pale redhead); and while it may look a bit dull in the pan, it does exactly the same as any other liner once on the eye: makes lashes look better, but without a noticeable harsh black line. A YBB effect.

Now, see, I've found that while colours look very different in the pan--that's spread over a pretty big surface area. And while I can see some difference between shades of brown, and greater or lesser degree of glimmer, once they're applied--that's peering up close at a very fine line, and when I say up close, this is a short-sighted person peering with their glasses off. Similar to using a magnifying glass for those unfortunate "normal"-sighted people out there. While these things are very pleasing to me for a few moments of the day, there's frankly no discernible difference between a duller liner like this one and a more interesting one like BH.

Colour aside: the cake is a dream to apply, and leaves no clumps, globs, inconsistencies. Just a smooth filling in of all the gaps between lashes, resulting in a nice even lash line, and that illusion of luxuriance ... Little is needed, and there's less wastage than I've had with the cream/gel liners; given that they lasted a good year or two, this should be good for a while and thus a decent buy. Certainly better than the pricey twist-up pencils, yet as lightweight and portable for travel.

USD22.00 / CAD27.00 for 2.2 g. Cruelty-free, sensitive-friendly, no irritation (tested with afternoon naps), lasts all day. Commendation on the nice subtle packaging: dark reddish-brown solid plastic with some gleam to it, simple silvery lettering.

INGREDIENTS: Talc, Propylene Glycol, PVP/PA Copolymer, DEA-C8-18 Perfluoroalkylethyl Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polyethylene, Magnesium Myristate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Zinc Stearate, Mineral Oil, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Iron Oxides (CI 77491). May contain: Ultramarines (CI 77007), Carmine (CI 75470), Manganese Violet (CI 77742). continued >>

I love this eyeliner! i originally got the bleu marine, but it just didn't seem right with my coloring. This color is great though, i can get it dark enough that it's almost a softer black shade without the harshness. Although it does take some practice to apply (i line above the lashline with it) the results are great, and it doesn't dry my lids out the way other liners have. Staying power is decent, but when it does wear off it doesn't smudge at all, just sort of fades, which is definitely preferable. It seems like it will last a really long time, i haven't even made a dent yet, so the price isn't sooo outrageous. And i like the little mirror a lot, since i don't do the tightline thing, it's also a very discreet little compact to check makeup with in public. Overall i am very happy with this product. Thanks to everyone here on MUA, i never would have heard about it without you.

on 1/14/2008 11:38:00 PM

Color is nice good depth and goes on tight and pretty. My favorite eye liner ever.The color and consistency is very nice, but to get the Laura Mercier results, I think their brush is a must. I've tried it with half a dozen other brushes, but none are as good as the Mercier flat eye liner brush.

on 5/16/2007 4:40:00 PM

Don't like LM packaging, so I depotted 4 of LM cake liners into a MAC palette lol. Great color, especially for tightlining! I use the LM flat eyeliner brush - tried others but this works best. Great product!

on 12/3/2006 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a lovely eyeliner. I put it on in the morning and it lasts throughout the day into the evening without any need to touch up. Has the staying power of a liquid eyeliner without the harshness. Quite expensive but one palette will last you ages.

I never knew what it meant to have a Holy Grail eyeliner until I started using this stuff. I was so enamoured of pencil liners that I didn't even want to bother with a cake liner, the hassle of applying it was too much. Then one day at Holt Renfrew the SA sat me down and dotted this along my upper lash line with their flat brush. I didn't think anything of it and didn't buy it that day, but then I kept getting compliments on my eyes. Even my mom said they looked bigger! So eventually I came around to the idea and went out and bought it. It's fairly easy to apply with LM's flat eyeliner brush. I just add a touch of water, make a thick paste (try some on your hand first to make sure it's the right consistency), then dot it very close to your lashline. You can also make a thicker line if you prefer, but the tightline makes your lashes look thicker and your eyes look bigger. I usually wear this with just a neutral wash in the day time, or sometimes no other eye makeup at all. Wait for it to dry before curling lashes and adding mascara, otherwise you'll end up with a mess.

on 5/9/2006 5:30:00 AM

This is a great eye liner. Easy to apply with an eye liner brush! Lasts all day and nothing to complain about! I would definitely repurchase this one!