Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown
Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany BrownTightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

3.9

Talc, Propylene Glycol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Alcohol Denat., VP/VA Copolymer, Magnesium Myristate, Polyethylene, Zinc Stearate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol, Alumina. May Contain (+/-): CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Best. Liner. Ever. Used. (so far, not to say I won't find a better one, etc., etc.)

I'm just using this for tightlining--as it makes a huge difference on pale lashes, before putting on mascara, making them look thicker and lusher as emphasizing the roots. Previously used gel/cream liners in pots (mainly Clinique, Bobbi Brown, Stila) and self-sharpening pencils (Clinique, Origins, Almay, Maybelline, etc.). Currently using the old teeny flat-top brush that came with my Clinique Brush-on Liner in Black Honey.

LM's version can be used wet or dry; I've had best results with wet so far (dampen brush, swirl in pan, easy peasy). The colour isn't as exciting in the pan as, say, Black Honey or other shimmery glittery complex many-shaded colours. Three shades are available, and all quite flat and functional: this mahogany brown, plus a black and a navy. I'm using the brown as I look odd with black liner (too much on a pale redhead); and while it may look a bit dull in the pan, it does exactly the same as any other liner once on the eye: makes lashes look better, but without a noticeable harsh black line. A YBB effect.

Now, see, I've found that while colours look very different in the pan--that's spread over a pretty big surface area. And while I can see some difference between shades of brown, and greater or lesser degree of glimmer, once they're applied--that's peering up close at a very fine line, and when I say up close, this is a short-sighted person peering with their glasses off. Similar to using a magnifying glass for those unfortunate "normal"-sighted people out there. While these things are very pleasing to me for a few moments of the day, there's frankly no discernible difference between a duller liner like this one and a more interesting one like BH.

Colour aside: the cake is a dream to apply, and leaves no clumps, globs, inconsistencies. Just a smooth filling in of all the gaps between lashes, resulting in a nice even lash line, and that illusion of luxuriance ... Little is needed, and there's less wastage than I've had with the cream/gel liners; given that they lasted a good year or two, this should be good for a while and thus a decent buy. Certainly better than the pricey twist-up pencils, yet as lightweight and portable for travel.

USD22.00 / CAD27.00 for 2.2 g. Cruelty-free, sensitive-friendly, no irritation (tested with afternoon naps), lasts all day. Commendation on the nice subtle packaging: dark reddish-brown solid plastic with some gleam to it, simple silvery lettering.

INGREDIENTS: Talc, Propylene Glycol, PVP/PA Copolymer, DEA-C8-18 Perfluoroalkylethyl Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polyethylene, Magnesium Myristate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Zinc Stearate, Mineral Oil, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Iron Oxides (CI 77491). May contain: Ultramarines (CI 77007), Carmine (CI 75470), Manganese Violet (CI 77742). continued >>

on 3/19/2013 10:32:00 PM

To me it's a Holy Grail product. I've NEVER had a good eyeliner experience. I have hooded eyes and oily eyelids, for years I just assumed that I was bound to never be able wear anything else besides mascara... until I saw a "tightlining technique" video (it consists of lining between the root of your eyelashes from below the top lashes with a small flat eyeliner brush). I decided to give it a try and because that area doesn't come in contact with the eyelid it stays perfect all day! The Mahogany Brown works really great for me: it gives definition without looking harsh in the daytime. I might buy the ebony one down the road. I'll post some photos because in the pictures the brown looks like it wouldn't be dark enough but once it's wet becomes a rich brown.

I was looking for something more natural looking. Nothing heavy handed. I had never used a wet the cake eyeliner before. There was a slight learning curve. A decent eyeliner brush helps. You do have to add another drop of water now and then and give that a few seconds to loosen the color up some. I learned to poke the brush up into my lash line from the underside first and then finish on top. Lasts all day with absolutely no flaking or smudging. I would buy again but I have a feeling this cake will last a very long time. Great product for me.

on 6/30/2011 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I just got this recently, so my review is for the new formula. The color doesn't show, doesn't last, dry, chalky and hard to apply. Disappointing. Turned out the new formula requires a separate activator to enhance the intensity. Uh ohh. So that's $22 for the cake, another $20 for the Tightline Activator = $42 for an eyeliner. I really don't get it. WHY couldn't LM stick with the old formula so no extra stuff is necessary?

on 9/15/2012 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My favorite eyeliner ever and the only one I really use now. Still working on my first pan...this stuff lasts forever! If I ever run out, I'm buying another!

Edited 2/24/15: Still my go-to! I've tried others, but everything else smudges on me. The very dark brown suits me better than black and doesn't budge all day.

on 10/10/2010 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Is a very soft brown, but can take some work to build-up the color. Would be great for a fairer individual. Using just to use up, and works on days I want to enhance my eyes without looking like I'm wearing e/l. I prefer a more striking color (black). Between being too soft of a brown and the nature of her cake requiring more fussing than using a powder e/s as a liner, I'm not in love with this. The first few times I used it, it offered a very subtle, flattering lined effect, then perhaps shadow from my brush mingled with the cake and now I have to scrape the top off to get any pigmentation. Powders are easier to use.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is my first cake eye liner-Its just wonderful! You put it on with a brush and a bit of water inside your upper lashes-by holding up your lid and pressing into the lash line. It looks so natural and awesome! Its very pricey but should last a long long time. Eyes look defined but not "lined." Definitely a must have in everyones makeup bag!

on 1/17/2016 11:37:00 AM

I'm 57 years old and have become a fan of the tightline method. I had heard such great comments about this cake eyeliner I decided to try it. Prior to that I had been using a dark brown shade of elf gel eyeliner in a little tub. Anyway, I do not like the color of this brown eyeliner. Way too much red for me. I returned it to Sephora.

on 11/27/2013 1:19:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Dry, difficult to use on the go, chalky, and generally underwhelming. I was told my the sales assistant that I wouldn't need the activator - even though I said I would buy it if it was necessary or really improved the product. If this worked well it would be great, I love the packaging and find it is easy to carry around... but try getting a defined eye! very, very difficult in my experience. And I'm using a gorgeous hakuhodo tightlining brush.

on 1/14/2008 11:38:00 PM

Color is nice good depth and goes on tight and pretty. My favorite eye liner ever.The color and consistency is very nice, but to get the Laura Mercier results, I think their brush is a must. I've tried it with half a dozen other brushes, but none are as good as the Mercier flat eye liner brush.