Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

Filtered by age: 36-43
Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown
Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany BrownTightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

4.3

Talc, Propylene Glycol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Alcohol Denat., VP/VA Copolymer, Magnesium Myristate, Polyethylene, Zinc Stearate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol, Alumina. May Contain (+/-): CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

on 8/20/2018 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I really like this product, it works well to create a soft line in the eyelash line for a natural look. I want to continue using it but learned that it contains C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate in the ingredients, a chemical related to Teflon that accumulates and lasts forever in the body and environment. The harm from PFAS chemicals has been downplayed by some, but the EPA states they are known hormone disrupters, associated with cancers, high cholesterol, thyroid issues, early menopause, and so on. It’s especially bad to find in eye makeup since the skin around the eye is thinner and is more absorbant than other parts of the body. I know it’s only a tiny amount, but daily applications over time can build up exposure. Until they reformulate without PFAS, I’m going to retire my tightliner :(

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It took a little getting used to with the application and needing to wet the brush and making sure that it is flat enough to work across the eye and not too wet that it runs and is watery. But once I found the right balance I quickly became a fan. It's a sorest color for me during the day and when I'm doing a more neutral look. I have fair skin and hazel eyes and it works. It lasts for a long day and is easily removable with eye makeup remover and a cotton ball. I also have a deep blue and black for other occasions.

on 3/19/2013 10:32:00 PM

To me it's a Holy Grail product. I've NEVER had a good eyeliner experience. I have hooded eyes and oily eyelids, for years I just assumed that I was bound to never be able wear anything else besides mascara... until I saw a "tightlining technique" video (it consists of lining between the root of your eyelashes from below the top lashes with a small flat eyeliner brush). I decided to give it a try and because that area doesn't come in contact with the eyelid it stays perfect all day! The Mahogany Brown works really great for me: it gives definition without looking harsh in the daytime. I might buy the ebony one down the road. I'll post some photos because in the pictures the brown looks like it wouldn't be dark enough but once it's wet becomes a rich brown.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Best. Liner. Ever. Used. (so far, not to say I won't find a better one, etc., etc.)

I'm just using this for tightlining--as it makes a huge difference on pale lashes, before putting on mascara, making them look thicker and lusher as emphasizing the roots. Previously used gel/cream liners in pots (mainly Clinique, Bobbi Brown, Stila) and self-sharpening pencils (Clinique, Origins, Almay, Maybelline, etc.). Currently using the old teeny flat-top brush that came with my Clinique Brush-on Liner in Black Honey.

LM's version can be used wet or dry; I've had best results with wet so far (dampen brush, swirl in pan, easy peasy). The colour isn't as exciting in the pan as, say, Black Honey or other shimmery glittery complex many-shaded colours. Three shades are available, and all quite flat and functional: this mahogany brown, plus a black and a navy. I'm using the brown as I look odd with black liner (too much on a pale redhead); and while it may look a bit dull in the pan, it does exactly the same as any other liner once on the eye: makes lashes look better, but without a noticeable harsh black line. A YBB effect.

Now, see, I've found that while colours look very different in the pan--that's spread over a pretty big surface area. And while I can see some difference between shades of brown, and greater or lesser degree of glimmer, once they're applied--that's peering up close at a very fine line, and when I say up close, this is a short-sighted person peering with their glasses off. Similar to using a magnifying glass for those unfortunate "normal"-sighted people out there. While these things are very pleasing to me for a few moments of the day, there's frankly no discernible difference between a duller liner like this one and a more interesting one like BH.

Colour aside: the cake is a dream to apply, and leaves no clumps, globs, inconsistencies. Just a smooth filling in of all the gaps between lashes, resulting in a nice even lash line, and that illusion of luxuriance ... Little is needed, and there's less wastage than I've had with the cream/gel liners; given that they lasted a good year or two, this should be good for a while and thus a decent buy. Certainly better than the pricey twist-up pencils, yet as lightweight and portable for travel.

USD22.00 / CAD27.00 for 2.2 g. Cruelty-free, sensitive-friendly, no irritation (tested with afternoon naps), lasts all day. Commendation on the nice subtle packaging: dark reddish-brown solid plastic with some gleam to it, simple silvery lettering.

INGREDIENTS: Talc, Propylene Glycol, PVP/PA Copolymer, DEA-C8-18 Perfluoroalkylethyl Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polyethylene, Magnesium Myristate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Zinc Stearate, Mineral Oil, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Iron Oxides (CI 77491). May contain: Ultramarines (CI 77007), Carmine (CI 75470), Manganese Violet (CI 77742). continued >>

PROS: Very natural looking for a cake type (I sometimes use the black for nights.) The color is actually dark enough. Most dark browns are not dark enough for me. And it's not too warm like some brown eyeliners are. (I'm N15, leaning to NC.) It lasts a very long time on the eye and a very long time in the container (I use mine a lot but have had it for years.) Great for tightlining.

CONS: Takes practice to use.

ALTERNATES: LM has a brush for this called "Pointed Eyeliner brush." Very thin line is possible with it. Trish McEvoy has Brush #11 "Precise Eye Lining" that is a stiffer brush for tightlining.

ALTERNATES: Revlon Colorstay or or Almay i-color liquid liner.

on 5/16/2007 4:40:00 PM

Don't like LM packaging, so I depotted 4 of LM cake liners into a MAC palette lol. Great color, especially for tightlining! I use the LM flat eyeliner brush - tried others but this works best. Great product!

I recently purchased this and I find that I can work with this cake liner better than with a gel liner. And its not quite as severe a look as some gel liners can be. I bought the Laura Mercier flat eye liner brush with it and that has made a big difference as I've tried it with a Mac push brush and didn't like the result as much. The LM brush is softer and less abrasive to my eye area. I wear contacts and so far, I haven't had problems with any irritation and I'm able to get this right up into my lash line as others have described. Its a pretty bold flat brown, not too dark and not to light. It makes a classy eye. So glad that I found this. I would recommend getting the flat eyeliner brush as well if you don't have a similar one. Great lasting power, too. I paid $20 at Nordies and the brush was $25.

on 10/28/2004 9:51:00 AM

Would I buy this again? Wild, frothing animals couldn't block me from it. This e/l is OUTRAGEOUSLY awesome. It doesn't get any better than Laura Mercier cake eyeliner...and Mahogany is a great color. A rich, dark brown that's not as harsh as Ebony. Lasts a long time, so that helps to justify the expense. Also wears like nobody's business. Never flakes, smudges, or melts. Just stays a nice, crisp line. Absolutely nothing will make your eyelashes look more lush than using these liners with LM's flat push brush. If you love eyeliner, Run Forest Run to get this product!

on 8/13/2004 1:28:00 AM

This is my HG eyeliner. I have oily lids, and this stays put all day, but looks natural (unlike liquid liners). BB gel liners used to be my HG, but LM blends easier, is smoother, and looks more natural. Plus BB dries up and is unusable after about 6 months. Since this is a powder/gel, I think it will last forever. I've been using it every day for 2 years, and I've barely made a dent in it. Lot's of brands say you can use their shadow as a liner (like MAC), but by the middle of the day, they were all completely gone.

I use Paula Dorf's Eye Transformer brush to push the liner below my lashes, and it looks incredibly natural. Yes, it's expensive like all LM makeup, put you hardly use any and it lasts forever.

on 10/16/2003 9:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Just got this in a swap. I really like it even though it's much lighter than I thought it would be. My eyes barely show on my face without eye makeup, but this gives a nice natural look. Perfect for everyday/office.