Estee Lauder Estee Super Cologne Spray

Estee Lauder Estee Super Cologne Spray

4.1

on 12/20/2016 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is my grandmother's favorite fragrance, which I buy for her whenever she runs out, because a) she loves it, and b) it smells *so* good on her. On her, it's intensely clean but warm - just soap and clean, warm skin; no fruit or flowers. It literally lasts for days, too.

On me, it smells like urine. I made the mistake of spritzing a little on my wrist once, and will never do so again. Nonetheless, it absolutely deserves a five lippie rating, because there are definitely some people on whom Estee will be the best and most soothing clean scent ever.

on 6/22/2016 11:24:00 AM

This is for the formulation that is due to appear in mid-July 2016. I got onto beauty chat on the EL web site today, and was assured that it's still on schedule. I cannot wait!! They claim it will be the original super cologne spray formulation. I had to stop wearing Estee in 2008-2011. Then it was reformulated and smelled great. The new bottle appeared and EL admitted the juice was actually different (and it smells lousy). Well, they listened to their customers. Good news to the Estee lovers of the 1970s.

Edit: now I understand it's return is to be late summer.

on 1/30/2011 5:07:00 AM

My review is for the vintage Estee Super cologne. I understand that it was reformulated around 2008 - and not in a good way.

This fragrance, if worn extremely sparingly, is stunning. Composed in the late 1960s by perfume legend Bernard Chant, who also composed Cabochard and Aromatics Elixir, Estee begins as a thick bouquet of lily/rose/carnation, pollinated by waxy aldehydes, and dries down warm and woody. This cologne is incredibly strong, concentrated stuff with big monstrous sillage, so I'm lucky that my vintage bottle is the splash bottle so I can control the amount I apply. I shudder to think of people actually spraying this. Please believe me when I tell you that literally only half a drop touched between the wrists is enough. When worn sparingly in this way, after drying down for a couple hours, the most subtle, sublime scent of autumn leaves and burnt woods (my father says it smells like "oak bark". lol) begins to emerge, wafting up seductively from the wrist. I take this accord to be composed of cedar, oakmoss, styrax, and musk. It's truly breathtaking and mysterious. But when over-applied it smells like and remains for a long time a cloyingly fresh floral, heady and headache-inducing, and loses much of its charm for me. A great slogan for this fragrance would be: Just a half a drop - if considering more, STOP.

on 1/29/2013 8:15:00 AM

I read that Miss Lauder was inspired to make this perfume when she was at a party and noticed the light from two crystal chandeliers shimmering in a glass of champagne (which explains the bottle design - the new design). This is such a classy scent - it has a very appealing soapiness - clean, floral, sensuous - there's definitely a rose in there too! Going on compliment factor, out of all my perfumes, this is the one that most folk comment on. Try is next time you pass Estee Lauder - they have a lot of classics hidden under the counter!!! Highly recommended!

on 3/26/2015 8:46:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Vintage Estee was something else. They called it Super, and it was. It was one of those scents that could walk in the room ahead of you. It was very similar to the discontinued Moondrops by Revlon. Truth be told, I always liked Moondrops better. But here was EL offering a gift with purchase, and I thought it would be fun to revisit this fragrance that I had not smelled since the seventies. I spritzed and waited for a trip back to Carly Simon singing You're So Vain. No such journey. The reformulated Estee is much lighter, much less complex, much less in your face, and I suppose much less dated. It is a very aldehydic floral, so aldehydic it is downright frosty. It smells fresh, like clothes off the clothesline fresh. It reminds me more of a product fragrance than fine fragrance. Like a hair freshener, or spray deodorant. It is pretty. It is inoffensive. It is not as uncompromising as the original, and far less riveting.

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

how soft this Estee fragrance is. This clean, soapy sharp fragrance is quiet on me. I like to be able to smell my fragrance at least 4inches/10cm from the applied area, so do I class this as a skin scent on me?
After a few hours gone by this is even softer, more feint, so then I have to put my nose right onto my skin just to smell it, but at least the scratchy sharpness has smoothed off a little, so its more acceptable for me to wear at this point. I could actually enjoy this fragrance but would need to spray on every pulse point and more, just to get a bit of strength out of it.
I will buy his again if it's made to last all day and has more sillage.
This smells a lot like Moon Drops by Revlon but Estee lasts longer and is a little smoother on me, so I would still go with Estee even so I want it to last all day.
On me> Estee: 3-4 hr
> Moon Drops: 1 hr

on 12/23/2009 10:51:00 PM

After reading all the rave reviews here, I went out and purchased this and I'm sooo glad I did. A very lovely fragrance with staying power. As others have said, it is clean scent with powdery and floral notes. It is one of the few fragrances that I can spray on before bed and drift off nicely to sleep without it inducing a headache or irritating my breathing. I always get compliments on this, and of my 20+ collection of fragrances, I always go back to this one. It seems that few people know or wear this one from EL, maybe because it is an older fragrance that Estee created decades ago. I never smell it on others or hear of anyone I know wearing it. It's Estee Lauder's best kept secret.

another of my all time favourite perfumes. This is one I always go back to. Just smells so good and feminine and has super lasting power. It's a very clean scent but I wouldn't call it soft. A little goes a long ways.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Except for an outrageous splurge at the B&BW & VS semi-annual sales(bought $70 worth of products that I don't even use - insert eye roll smiley) and a 3 day fling with Bvlgari Voile de Jasmin, I ended up wearing Estee Pure Fragrance Spray all Summer long! <--- That's really saying something considering I own at least 30 fragrances and seldom wear the same thing 2 days in a week let alone a whole season.

There were times I had to put it away though because it is soooooo STRONG and long lasting that I could smell it in my bedroom before I even got there(only 1 spray a day). But during the times I didn't wear it I would still take the cap off of the bottle and sniff it. Several times. A day. Weird. o_O

Like others have stated it is a clean, romantic feminine scent with a touch of powder. It's like you took a shower, put on some powder and romantic perfume all in one. The price is low, the strength and staying power are PHENOMENAL! I'm shocked at how well this stays on and how much sillage I get from it - my skin is of the perfume killing variety. However, most Estee Lauder scents are sillage kings and longevity lords at affordable prices, something more costly fragrance houses could learn from(take THAT Chanel :-p ).

I will definitely repurchase when my bottle runs out.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a powdery floral fragrance. The Super Cologne spray is lighter in concentration. This is a good every day scent. My mother wore it all the time until 2008, when she bought a bottle and Estee had been reformulated! I noticed this as well, and the new version is very cloying and not so nice.

Popular Fragrances