Shiseido Matifying Veil

Shiseido  Matifying Veil

3.8

This is a great product to keep your makeup in place the whole day. I have combo skin and apply this very lightly to my t-zone. There is no need to cake it on, a little bit will work just fine. I do need to blot after about 5 hours, but that's it. No retouching needed, and best of all, no breakouts from this. If used with Shiseido's TM, the coverage will look more like a light foundation, but very natural. Pricey, but worth it.
EDIT: I am in the South and it is really hot and humid in the summer - and it still works!

on 10/6/2009 5:08:00 AM

In my quest for an effective mattifier to control shine on my face, I have to say that this is one of the more effective ones in the market. I have a very oily T-zone as well as visible pores. Initially, I had wanted to just use pressed powder to keep the shine to a minimum, but when I chanced upon this, I decided to give it a try. Shiseido products have worked well for me in the past, so I decided it would be worth the investment.

I wear this veil underneath my face powder. True, it casts a whitish shade when you first apply it, but when you blend it, it smoothens out. You don't need to apply it to your entire face, just the parts that are oily (T-zone in my case).

After more than a month's use, I can say that my T-zone is more manageable and I need less touchups. I also like the scent, which is mild and relaxing. The texture is also velvety and moist.

I use the product sparingly, since it's a bit pricey. Overall though, this is a product I can depend on for those nights out with the girls when I dont want to be bothered with frequent touch-ups. So, this is a good product for me.

on 1/23/2009 1:33:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

overall rating= 1
why? this is the worst shit i have ever bought HANDS DOWN. It made my face look rough, it left a white CAST all over my face, did not mattify my skin WHATSOEVER, on days when i don't feel like exfoliating (because you can't exfoliate everyday) it clings onto the dead skin and makes my foundation look disgusting and PEELY. I look HORRIBLE with this on. This was a total waste of time, money and ugh... hate this crap. This product is like a wax. The packaging includes space for a circular sponge that you are supposed to use to apply the product to your face. Your lift the compartment that the sponge is located in and the product is white in color and, if you don't literally SCRUB this product into your face, you can really see the white EVERYWHERE. First off, why the damn sponge? sponges are UNSANITARY PEOPLE why would you continually use a sponge to apply a PRIMER onto your face? it picks up all the crap thats on the surface and remains in the sponge and THEN they expect you to use the SAME sponge to dip into the product and apply again onto your face. This is a disgrace to shiseido please do not buy or, at the very least, make sure they have a good return policy where you go to because i could not return this shit.
Price= CRAZY EXPENSIVE yes, i admit this was definitely a splurge product and i absolutely regret this purchase. i believe this retailed for about 40 or 50 something canadian dollars. When i think about it, i could've bought some 2 shirts and a lipgloss for that much sigh... i look at this product sitting here on my shelf and i literally die inside. no joke
packaging quality= it looks very pretty because its shiseido, and "high end" brands like this want you to think that the product inside is as good as its presentation. This marketing ploy has fooled me many times.
Would i buy this again? hell freakin NO.

on 12/19/2008 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Bought this in my quest to control the extremely oily t-zone I was battling when I was back in Australia. Unfortunately, while it felt great upon application and perhaps for the next hour after that, my face would be shiny again by noon. It wasn’t cheap either… This was years ago and I did not buy again.

on 9/30/2007 4:52:00 AM

Did an ok job of mattifying, and in fact seemed to whiten my skin at the same time, but on my first use, by evening, my cheeks were itching. Allergic reaction unfortunately. Also felt the packaging was a little unhygenic. Good for those who like a powdery finish.

on 5/3/2007 5:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Like so many others before me I so wanted this product to work on my extremely oily skin!! And like so many others I have tried numerous other primers to combat my oily t-zone area. This product feels perfect once applied and did not leave any white cast on my skin, BUT very soon after I applied my makeup my face started feeling tacky. Which is a HUGE turn off for greasy peeps like me:( In no time at all it felt oilier than if I hadn't applied anything at all before my foundation. This product might be fine for people with combo skin and very slightly oily, but for seriously oily skinned people this product is zero help! I do like the fact it did contain spf though, one plus. This product is no different than Benefit's Dr Feelgood and not as good as Smashbox's Anti Shine primer.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

thought i'd give this a try, since i am in the search for anything that will keep my makeup stay put this july when i'll be in 2 weddings.
Didn't like how this stuff made my face look white, and all of your skin flakiness would show, so make sure you've exfoliated well before using this.
Overall, this product didn't give me the staying-put & matifying look that i was looking for

on 3/30/2007 5:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

So far this is the best matifiant that I've found. It has to be blended fairly well, or the whiteness of the cream and any skin flakiness will show. It smooths out the surface area of your skin, and helps hide pores. I use alone, or over the shiseido matifying moisturizer and pore minimizer. This has helped my powder makeup stay on better than it's ever stayed. I still have to blot once during the day. Usually, I have to blot 2 or 3 times. UPDATE: This is tricky to use and hard to blend. The whiteness shows up later in the day! Not sure it even does anything!

After suffering many a dissapointment with every mattifying/oil controlling primer product I've tried (derma doctor, PeterThomasRoth, philosophy, lancome,ect) I have finally found THE ONE. I considered many options for my next purchase and after reading the positive reviews for this product in addition to the fact that it contains an spf, I tried it. PERFECT. Lightweight, can wear with or without makeup, blends seamlessly, stays fresh, delivers promissed results...I could go on and on!

on 3/6/2007 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Because of all the rave reviews, and being a Shiseido fanatic, I've decided to purchase this nifty product. I think its a nice product because it gives you a soft glow... as far as controling oil, I will tell you when it becomes explicitly hot where I live, but for now I'll simply talk about usage and effects. I do like the moonlight glow it gives but to acheive this I use it over my makeup using one of those stiff kabuki brushes or if you're on a budget (like I am) I would go to Target and purchase their generic name of make-up accessory tools bronzer brush. I tap the brush into the container and then tap the product onto the temple, cheeks, and chin of my face then buff. This gives me the best effect without the product looking cakey under my makeup. I even apply Shiseido's Hydro-Compact with the same type of brush.. your makeup will last longer on your face and also in your compact. What I like about the Matifying Veil is that it has an SPF ratig of 17. It looks like paste from the time you were in primary school, but it does give a soft effect or a soft lighting effect once on. I am African American and I wear Shiseido's O100 or O80. I was concerned that the pasty color of this primer would make my face look ashy, but it really doesn't if blended well. I also use a Mist spritz (MAX's Fix or The Body Shop Vitamin E) on my face before I apply anything else to keep my makeup from settling into any dead skin and looking flakey/cakey. I live in Arizona and have REALLY oily skin but right now its winter. When its summer I will write an update on this product to see if it really matifys.