Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream by AST

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream by AST

4.1

D.I. water, ethanol, glycerine, aloe vera gel,octyldodecanol, retinol & polysorbate 20, cucumber extract, butylene glycol, cetyl dimethicone copolyol, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, tocopheryl, acrylates/C10-C30 crosspolymer, tea-carbomer, propylene glycol, diazolidinyl urea, propylparaben, methylparaben, disodium edta, may contain FD&C yellow 5, red 40, blue 1

on 8/5/2016 8:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I was pleasantly surprised by this. After using several other retinol products which either did nothing or gave me terrible breakouts, I tried the Level 9 and was happy with both the relatively low price and the gentleness of the product. It was recommended to me by a friend and I bought the one she used (9) without bothering to go up the product ladder, and I'm glad I did.

My skin is relatively sensitive but I experienced no irritation when using this, though the first couple of times it made me peel. It wasn't angry red flakes though, just a very thin layer of intact skin that came off in a sheet (gross but less awful than redness and pain!) and did not cause any redness. I find that it keeps the dry skin on my nose at bay and makes clogged pores easier to extract.

I use it twice a week, more or less, and it has never caused me discomfort. I'll finish this one before I decide if I'm going to run back to Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle, which really softens my skin but isn't quite as strong as this one. I'll probably switch back to that one in winter when I need a little extra moisture, because the Green Cream is a really light gel and I'd have to layer it when it gets cold.

Not bad, not bad at all. Jury is still out on whether or not it will lighten up my freckles and smooth some pesky forehead wrinkles, but I'm going to give it another month. It takes almost no product to cover my face so I expect I'll have a long time yet to decide.

on 4/8/2011 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I used Level 6. This did not work for me at all. After 3 months of diligent use, my skin is rougher, my acne worse and of a more severe kind, and no effect on my fine lines at all. The packaging is good, but it would help if the contents were worth the price!

on 5/9/2010 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I actually used Level 6 for some years on the area around my eyes, because although it contained alcohol and sometimes irritated the hell out of my skin, I still liked the tightening and smoothing effect it had on my eye area. I have meanwhile discovered a much more effective product, namely Skinceuticals 1.0 retinol cream, which although stronger than Level 6 is far less irritating and also has much better results in terms of plumping up and smoothing skin. Level 6 used to cause a wierd darkening of the skin around my eyes, like really bad eye circles. I think that was the irritation from the alcohol, because I am not getting that anymore since I've started using Skinceuticals. It is certainly very important to use a retinol product, but there are far better products out there, without irritating ingredients, that are worth the investment.

I used this for 2 years building up to level 6 after a few months on level 3. I could never get past the dryness and patches this would create on my face, especially in the winter. I finally decided that the ethanol (alcohol) in this dried my skin barrier too much, so I switched to Skinceuticals .5%. That worked better and is a very effective product without as much irritation. I have now moved to Retin~A .25% 2 to 3x a week and I have no irritation whatsoever, but my skin is as smooth as a baby's bum. Also, on the nights I don't use the Retin~A, I have been applying rosehip seed oil (the formula is evanhealy rose) and that has been a great added boost of clarity! I do think my skin has never looked this good, but I would caution against using retinoids too often, and avoid other actives if you go for the strong stuff : )

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is a very good product. I've used it for over a year, in varying levels, and I've given it to my mother and to close friends. Note: it does NOT work nearly as well as prescription-strength retinoids, but for what it is, it's quite nice.

First of all, the basics: I'm 35, and I'm very frequently mistaken for far younger. I'm not sure if it's my skin or just general youthful features (heck, maybe it's the baby fat), but that's a nice feeling. I have extremely acne-prone skin, exacerbated by monthly hormones, and I'm also interested in preventing signs of aging. Treating acne and preventing aging are often cross-purposes, and so retinoids have been a great discovery for me. However, finding the right retinoid was a challege. I wanted to love RoC's products, for instance, but they break me out. Other products that didn't cause breakouts just didn't have enough active ingredient for my liking. Sooo, despite that I think Green Cream is quite an expensive product, I gave it a whirl. That was over a year ago.

I started with Level 3, using it at nite, and in the morning, I'd use Olay Regenerist Serum, a sunblock, a moisturizer, and my regular makeup. I'd been using Regenerist for quite some time, and that had already had visible results. Adding the Green Cream very soon gave me an even more "glowing" appearance, and while nothing much seemed to be changing with my acne, I knew I'd need to give it more time. I wanted to ramp up to a higher formulation, and by starting with Level 3, I avoided purging, and any flaking was kept to a real minimum.

After a few weeks, I started using Level 6. I was able to tolerate Level 3 around my eyes, on my neck, and on my chest, so I kept some Level 3 around for those areas. Everywhere else on my face, tho, I used Level 6, and before long, I did see a reduction in acne problems. Eruptions would heal far more quickly, my normally deep, painful cysts didn't appear as often, and as before, my skin maintained a glowing appearance I'm awfully fond of. I didn't flake much upon introducing Level 6, but I did notice that exfoliating well every few days grew more important.

After about 6 months of this, I decided to try Level 9. This, again, was an easy transition. I did flake a bit, but moisturizing well helps, as does exfoliating regularly. It's been 4 months now, and my skin looks really healthy and glowy! That is, except for my breakouts, which really have not improved. Not much seems to work for that -- topical salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, the typical remedies. I'm moving on to Retin-A (nites) and azelaic acid (mornings) for that. But I still credit Green Cream for the overall appearance of my skin, my utter lack of lines and early wrinkles, and that healthy glow that gets so many comments.

Moving from Green Cream to Retin-A was not as traumatic as what others have experienced, too. No purging, just a bit of flaking, and that's likely because I've just been moving right up the retinoid scale.

Now, WARNING. Retinoids make your skin thinner, so if acne is a problem for you, scarring is more likely, especially if you have a tendency to pick at your breakouts or otherwise harass them. ALSO, you will be far more sensitive to UV rays, so wearing a sunscreen every single day, even in the winter, is of utmost importance.

on 1/8/2008 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

It didn't do much for me that I could tell. Seemed a bit drying and irritating, probably the alcohol. I prefer RoC's retinol night cream.

on 11/16/2007 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is my first review. I have been using level 6 for about 1 month. I am 53 & I was starting to be really unhappy about deepening wrinkles, pores starting to get larger, & the dullness of my skin. I have been really fortunate to have really good skin until I hit my 50's. I Really love this product. My skin already looks better. My pores are visibly smaller & some have practically disappeared. The lines around my mouth & nasal labial area seem much less apparent. I started out using every other day, but my skin seems to tolerate this product well so I now use every night. My skin is flaking off but it is gradual & easily disguised with moisturizer. I have tried many other products in the past but nothing has seemed to really work like this product. I am a very satisfied customer so far.

on 1/29/2006 12:33:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Wow..I love this for my "mature" skin...i'm 38 and never had better results on my large pores and fine lines than this has given me...all I can say is try it..get a sample..you will love it!

on 1/16/2006 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

This is an early review. I've been using GC for about a week now...it's all the rage here in the New Orleans area as the dermatologist who developed it is from here, and therefore, it's easy to find in most of our local day spas. A friend used GC3 and tried moving up to GC6 but it was too much for her sensitive skin. Since I used Renova until recently, and she was looking to get rid of her GC6, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did.

I use it every other night on my 40-year old, oil, rosacea- & acne prone skin. I do not experience any irritation or discomfort - just some light flaking, which I don't mind since I could use a good exfoliant. (I use Image-C Skincare Hydrating Enzyme Mask to keep peeling to a minimum.)

My breakout are gone for the first time in over 25 years. If you were to rub your hand on my face, it would feel *smooth* rather than bumpy from my breakouts. My pores are noticeably smaller and I seem to be producing less oil. I only have a few fine lines so I haven't noticed a big improvement there, but this is the least of my worries.

I'm very optimistic and will update again later.

on 10/1/2005 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Thanks to MUA for the great reviews about green cream!! I am using a sample of level 6, and I think I love it! I ordered a full-size and will update after a week or two. I have some clogs, wrinkles, and pigmentation to work on, which the green cream is perfect for. I am also using the Philosophy Makeup Optional kit, and loving it too. Update: Ok, this works better than anything I've tried. My pigmentation is fading really fast. Lines are getting less noticable. If you're unhappy with your skn, give this a try! January 15,2006: I ordered Level 9, since I love this product so much! You can expect some minor flaking and possibly some irritation in the beginning, but it is so worth it to go slow with this and keep using it. Update: September 23,2006: I am still using Level 9, but have switched to non-detergent cleansers. I am currently using Devita Aloe Moisturizing Cleanser, which is nice for oily/combo skin because it's gentle and balances my skin. Still love Green Cream!