Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream by AST

Filtered by skin tone : Medium
Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream by AST

3.8

D.I. water, ethanol, glycerine, aloe vera gel,octyldodecanol, retinol & polysorbate 20, cucumber extract, butylene glycol, cetyl dimethicone copolyol, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, tocopheryl, acrylates/C10-C30 crosspolymer, tea-carbomer, propylene glycol, diazolidinyl urea, propylparaben, methylparaben, disodium edta, may contain FD&C yellow 5, red 40, blue 1

I used this for 2 years building up to level 6 after a few months on level 3. I could never get past the dryness and patches this would create on my face, especially in the winter. I finally decided that the ethanol (alcohol) in this dried my skin barrier too much, so I switched to Skinceuticals .5%. That worked better and is a very effective product without as much irritation. I have now moved to Retin~A .25% 2 to 3x a week and I have no irritation whatsoever, but my skin is as smooth as a baby's bum. Also, on the nights I don't use the Retin~A, I have been applying rosehip seed oil (the formula is evanhealy rose) and that has been a great added boost of clarity! I do think my skin has never looked this good, but I would caution against using retinoids too often, and avoid other actives if you go for the strong stuff : )

on 4/10/2009 6:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Bought this to prevent acne because exfoliation is essential for my skin. It made the texture of my skin smooth, but helped breakouts on only a very minimal level.

on 12/19/2007 10:04:00 PM

Ive been using this for about 2 almost 3 months. I did not buy for anti-aging properties, but to help with blackheads and skin evenness and clarity. The results have been very good after initial adjustment. Skin is very very soft and blackheads on nose have completely dissappeared. I had previously been using Avene Diacneal and like this better. However, the results have kind of plataued and I think of moving up a level to level 9. Also, if i miss a couple of days, my skin starts to revert rather quickly by losing luster and smoothness if thats possible. I will continue to use this until I find something if anything that is better.

on 12/10/2007 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I really had high hopes for this product. Nut, unfortunately I got increased redness and irritation with this product.

I used the both Level 6 &9 strengths (at different times of course). And, my skin became much drier and more sensitive. And, there is a noticeable ethanol smell to Green Cream. Of which, I came to feel very nervous about.

on 11/27/2006 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I'm one of the few who didn't benefit from this product. I've used it for a year religiously hoping that it would get better, but it never did. I even joined the green cream forum to work it out, but after a year of trying I realized that this product just wasn't for me. I have sensitive, acne-prone, combination skin and the green cream didn't help improve any of my skin issues. I've never stop breaking out and my skin became more sensitive even through moisturizing and applying high sunscreen. Also, it didn't do anything for my blackheads. No skincare benefit everyone and the green cream is no exception.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I am another lifetime WORSHIPPER of Green Cream. I never have to wear foundation again.

There is literally nothing this cream hasn't done for me, although being only 24, I'm more concerned with the texture/tone of my face and some leftover acne scarring than I really am with wrinkles.

I have oily, mostly insensitive skin and so I jumped right into using the level 6 once a day, and only experienced a redness/peeling and sensitivity in the area around my eyes, which went away after about a week to two weeks of daily use. Within a few days, my husband started to comment on how glowing and radiant I looked. Green Cream has controlled oil, most eliminated any pimples (although I use C&C Persa Gel 10 at night if I need a little extra help), completely ERADICATED all traces of my once-immense pores, and completely evened out my skintone so that I feel completely comfortable without foundation. It's also thickened the skin beneath my eyes (not in a weird gross way) so my shadows don't look so prominent. Basically, I have flawless skin.

PROS: A miracle cream, in my opinion :) I will be using it until the day I die.
CONS: A little pricey. It's also difficult to tell when you're running out because the bottle (of necessity, GC is not photo-stable) is opaque. However, I'd gladly pay three times the price for this stuff.

Just a word to those wanting to try it out.. start out slow! Most people, I've
read, have a more difficult "adjustment" period than I did while first using GC, and you can really make yourself uncomfortable if you start out too fast. I had to stop using concealer under my eyes for a while, because any rubbing motion under my eyes would peel off the skin.
Also, you MUST use sunscreen! On the day I forgot to apply mine, I tanned about 5 shades where I'd applied the GC, which really speaks to how photo-sensitive you become when using a retinoid.

on 1/16/2006 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

This is an early review. I've been using GC for about a week now...it's all the rage here in the New Orleans area as the dermatologist who developed it is from here, and therefore, it's easy to find in most of our local day spas. A friend used GC3 and tried moving up to GC6 but it was too much for her sensitive skin. Since I used Renova until recently, and she was looking to get rid of her GC6, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did.

I use it every other night on my 40-year old, oil, rosacea- & acne prone skin. I do not experience any irritation or discomfort - just some light flaking, which I don't mind since I could use a good exfoliant. (I use Image-C Skincare Hydrating Enzyme Mask to keep peeling to a minimum.)

My breakout are gone for the first time in over 25 years. If you were to rub your hand on my face, it would feel *smooth* rather than bumpy from my breakouts. My pores are noticeably smaller and I seem to be producing less oil. I only have a few fine lines so I haven't noticed a big improvement there, but this is the least of my worries.

I'm very optimistic and will update again later.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Extremely happy with this. I started about 2 months ago and it's worked wonders on my skin. I also use a high ppd s/s & C serum, but I'm convinced this is one of the main products that has helped with my stubborn-as-heck melasma. I'm at level 9 and I've gotten past the peeling and purging with nothing left but smooth skin. There may be stronger retinoids out there but they either constantly irritate my skin or include other ingredients that I prefer not to put on my face. The bottle's designed to help keep it stable which includes an air tight pump and opaque package. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell how much is left but if it preserves the actives, it's worth it. I'm on my third month so I'm almost ready for another tube. GC's ingredients:

D.I. water, ethanol, glycerine, aloe vera gel,octyldodecanol, retinol & polysorbate 20, cucumber extract, butylene glycol, cetyl dimethicone copolyol, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, tocopheryl, acrylates/C10-C30 crosspolymer, tea-carbomer, propylene glycol, diazolidinyl urea, propylparaben, methylparaben, disodium edta, may contain FD&C yellow 5, red 40, blue1,red 3.

UPDATE: I've decided to move to something stronger (Tazorac at night), however, I'll still use this in the morning and around my eyes at night since it's moisturizing and my skin has adapted so well to it. UPDATE 6/19: I've come back to GC level 9. Tried Taz at all levels of gel & cream and the .5 cream didn't work and the others were way too harsh even when mixing moisturizer. Tried Diacneal a few times after the raves and how it's supposed to trump CG and not only did it NOT do anything, but it made me constantly break out in bumps that took forever to go away. Despite these other retinoids that are considered "better", they certainly didn't with me. GC trumps everything elsed I've tried on my skin.

on 4/20/2005 1:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

For some reason I can't update my review below [please scroll down several posts to see my earlier review] despite several frustrating tries - so I'm adding this one.

At this point I feel like Green Cream has done all it can for me. Which has been substantial.

My "Pseudo"-Rosacea is 100% gone. My skin tone is even all the time. My hyperpigmentation is almost unnoticeable. My jowls and wattle are not gone, but they've improved enough that I don't feel like crying when I look in the mirror. And my wrinkles are somewhat smoother.

Some of these results are dramatic and others aren't. I wasn't looking to rid myself of the hyperpigmentation and the rosacea, but I got a complete cure for both those flaws. I was hoping [unrealistically] for my wrinkles to totally disappear and my skin to completely regain firmness and that didn't happen - even though those things ARE better. But even those that aren't dramatically improved still show far more improvement than any other product has ever given me. I will probably be a lifelong Green Cream user.

One thing I would do differently is to avoid application in the eye area. The "crepey-eye" syndrome is not worth dealing with to me. Or, I would buffer before using Green Cream around the eyes. Or, as I've read of some people doing, just use Green Cream in the eye area once a week. If you do happen to get a severe case of "crepey-eyes" just one overnight application of hydrocortisone cream will significantly help turn things around.

As for the rest of your face - I really think you have to "listen" to your skin and apply the Green Cream accordingly. I have very retinol-tolerant skin and I can use the product twice daily with no irritation, peeling or flaking. Most people are more sensitive to the retinol and get their best results by using once daily or every other day. Some can only use a couple times a week. The important thing is that you find the balance between overdoing it and getting enough of the product so that it can do its magic. Again, just pay attention to results/reactions and adjust application accordingly.

Also, I used almost nothing but Green Cream for about six months just so I could be sure that the product was what was really giving me the results. Only recently, I started using other things, too. I have to say that Vitamin C serum improves the Green Cream results even more. Make sure to get a good serum that uses the proper form of the C vitamin. If you do a search of the skin care board here on MUA, you'll find lots of help regarding how to find an effective C serum.

The Green Cream packaging is great. Very hygenic and also designed to protect the product from exposure to light [since light diminishes the efficacy]. But, the drawback is that you can be running out and not realize it. Given that this is a product that must be ordered and shipped, it's a drag to be caught short. I really felt that my skin started to "backslide" during the time it took for me to get my order, so now I have one bottle I'm using and one in reserve. This is a tip I'm sure only one in 10 Green Cream users will ever need considering that 1.) I'm a twice daily Level 9 user so I probably run out faster than most people; and, 2.) I'm probably being fanatical. :) Another tip I learned here on the MUA boards is that if you remove the bottom cover of the dispenser, you can see how much product is left.

Green Cream is strong stuff. I'm surprised at seeing posts from young teenagers and people with skin problems who use the product without doctor's supervision. At the very least, I would recommend that those people use the AST Green Cream Community Board frequently and go slowly with the product.

Speaking of slowly, the Green Cream makers do not promise overnight results. I admire their integrity in doing this. They stand behind the science of retinol - studies of which indicate that best results are not seen for about four to six months. So...another key component in you skincare regime when you add Green Cream is patience. And I can tell you - hang in there! It will pay off.

I just got carded for the second time in the past couple months. I'm almost 48. This would never have happened before Green Cream. Okay... Green Cream AND MakeUpAlley - which keeps me motivated to take care of my skin. I'm very grateful to MUA - without which I would never have found Green Cream - and everyone who posts here. continued >>

on 1/27/2005 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

It's not fair to review a product that does not promise full results for three to six months after only about two months of use. So, having used Green Cream for only a couple months, I consider this an interim review.

I bought the product hoping for help with wrinkles. To my surprise, it's helped with much more.

I'm 47 years old. I've always looked younger, but 2004 was a hard year and I looked awful by the time it was coming to a close. Here are some of the skin problems I had:

Hyperpigmentation: I grew up on the beach and my best friend and I used to compete with each other to have the darkest tans in school. It wasn't until my late 30's that I got out of the sun and started applying sunscreen on a semi-regular basis. Additionally, I've always had hormone problems and had to take BCPs for years and years. The result was some blotchy hyperpigmentation that "framed" the edges of my face and huge purplish-brown swaths of skin on the sides of my neck. My neck, especially, bothered me. It looked dirty at best. Rating how self-conscious and miserable it made me on a scale of 1-10, I'd give this an 8. Green Cream has improved this by at least 60-70% in two months. Considering how bad it was, that's enormous. There are still spots here and there around my face, but the biggest difference is on my neck. The discoloration has faded to a light pinkish-brown. In other words - it looks like skin! You would really have to look hard to see the sun and hormone damage now.

"Pseudo"-Rosacea: I say "pseudo" because I was never really diagnosed, although several people on the MUA message boards suggested I check it out with a derm. My face - my nose, especially - would turn red and mottled at almost anything. Laughing, crying, eating hot food, eating spicy food, drinking alcohol, walking in cold weather, etc., etc. My kids used to even make fun of me and my red nose! On a scale of 1-10 as far as how much this bothered me, I'd say it was a 7. Green Cream has helped this 90%. It's a miracle. My skin is even toned and it stays that way.

Sagging skin: The thing I've always been most happy with is my bone structure, chin and neck in particular. Well, getting jowls and a wattle was hard for me. Once I was reading a book to my kids and one of them reached over and grabbed under my neck and said "Gobble, gobble, gobble!" I laughed, but... I accept that sagging is inevitable, but it really accelerated this last year. I just figured I'd have to live with it, but at the same time, rating how much this bothered me on a 10-scale - 10! I would say that Green Cream has remedied this by 25-30%. That might not sound like much, but I think it makes at least five years difference in how aged my skin looks. I'm soooo grateful for this result.

Wrinkles: Well, this was why I bought the Green Cream. This has been tough. People quit this product because with some people [if not all] wrinkles can appear to get worse before they get better. That was certainly the case with me. It didn't help that I overdid the Green Cream around my eyes [where the wrinkles are worst, of course] and really irritated the skin. One of the partners of AST, who make Green Cream, provided excellent customer service, helping me recover from my "overdose". Even after that healed, though, I still had lines around the eyes that looked worse rather than better. Except... recently. I've finally hit the turnaround mark with the retinol's effect in this regard. I'd say my wrinkles rated about a 7 on the 10-scale of skin-related blues. There's about a 15-20% improvement, but I'm not discouraged, because I think I'm just now starting to get results.

I'm not the only person to see these results. A couple weeks ago I was in a very solemn, serious business situation with people I'd worked with for several weeks last summer. It was being overseen by one of the preeminent people in the state who runs a very tight ship. At the conclusion, while I was leaving, someone who was going to be involved in - and who was integral to - the next proceeding jumped up, risking the ire of those who had to wait for her, pulled me into an alcove and said, "What did you do to your skin?!"

Then, last week, I was meeting with my financial consultant when, in the middle of the meeting, she stopped everything and asked me, "What have you been using on your face?" She's so impressed with my skin she asked that I get her some promotional materials about Green Cream that she can pass along to people she knows.

I do have to say that like all products, YMMV. I'm very retinol tolerant and was quickly up to using Green Cream twice daily and am moving to the Level 9 formula already. I never had any of the flaking or peeling others experience. I've always, however, exfoliated by dry buffing my skin at least four times a week with a rough washcloth. Other that that, my skincare regime consists of using Witch Hazel, occasional use of Hyluronic Serum under the eyes, and a rare Papaya mask. That's pretty much it. I'm trying to resist new products until I see the results of Green Cream for at least four-six months.

I'll update this review when I get there! continued >>