Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream by AST

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream by AST

4.3

D.I. water, ethanol, glycerine, aloe vera gel,octyldodecanol, retinol & polysorbate 20, cucumber extract, butylene glycol, cetyl dimethicone copolyol, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, tocopheryl, acrylates/C10-C30 crosspolymer, tea-carbomer, propylene glycol, diazolidinyl urea, propylparaben, methylparaben, disodium edta, may contain FD&C yellow 5, red 40, blue 1

on 8/5/2016 8:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I was pleasantly surprised by this. After using several other retinol products which either did nothing or gave me terrible breakouts, I tried the Level 9 and was happy with both the relatively low price and the gentleness of the product. It was recommended to me by a friend and I bought the one she used (9) without bothering to go up the product ladder, and I'm glad I did.

My skin is relatively sensitive but I experienced no irritation when using this, though the first couple of times it made me peel. It wasn't angry red flakes though, just a very thin layer of intact skin that came off in a sheet (gross but less awful than redness and pain!) and did not cause any redness. I find that it keeps the dry skin on my nose at bay and makes clogged pores easier to extract.

I use it twice a week, more or less, and it has never caused me discomfort. I'll finish this one before I decide if I'm going to run back to Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle, which really softens my skin but isn't quite as strong as this one. I'll probably switch back to that one in winter when I need a little extra moisture, because the Green Cream is a really light gel and I'd have to layer it when it gets cold.

Not bad, not bad at all. Jury is still out on whether or not it will lighten up my freckles and smooth some pesky forehead wrinkles, but I'm going to give it another month. It takes almost no product to cover my face so I expect I'll have a long time yet to decide.

on 4/21/2013 10:10:00 PM

I love this stuff. And no, I have no relationship with the company whatsoever. I use it for the anti-wrinkle properties, not for acne.
If they ever stop making it I don't know what I'll do. I have very few wrinkles and I'm 53. I had more when I started using the stuff - about 5 years ago. People routinely mistake me for 10 years younger, or more.

Tips: 1)Start with Level 3 (the weakest) and move up, slowly, slowly, slowly. If your skin gets irritated, back off for a day or two. It took me a year to work up to Level 9.
2) Use a BHA product to keep your pores cleared out- for some reason GC aggravates my adult acne if I do not use BHA (I use Paula's Choice 2% BHA) BHA in the day, GC at night.
3)Keep using sunscreen! No reason to ruin the good that GC does.

I used this for 2 years building up to level 6 after a few months on level 3. I could never get past the dryness and patches this would create on my face, especially in the winter. I finally decided that the ethanol (alcohol) in this dried my skin barrier too much, so I switched to Skinceuticals .5%. That worked better and is a very effective product without as much irritation. I have now moved to Retin~A .25% 2 to 3x a week and I have no irritation whatsoever, but my skin is as smooth as a baby's bum. Also, on the nights I don't use the Retin~A, I have been applying rosehip seed oil (the formula is evanhealy rose) and that has been a great added boost of clarity! I do think my skin has never looked this good, but I would caution against using retinoids too often, and avoid other actives if you go for the strong stuff : )

on 10/13/2009 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Awesome, effective product. Fair priced for what you get. It is used sparingly and lasts a long time. I started with Level 3 and then moved onto Level 6 for about three bottles time. I am now using 6 and 9, alternatively.

This product works!!! The texture of my skin when I use it religiously is fantastic! When I skip it, for example when it was summertime and I laid off of it altogether, my skin really was inferior. Consistency is important.

This product brings clarity, cleans out pores and blackheads, tightens pores, makes skin look plumper and firmer and smooths out fine lines. It helps fade discoloration and really gives the skin vitality. I love this product and am soooo glad I discovered it a couple of years ago.

I will say that if you are not used to retinols, start slowly! Work your way up bit by bit. Start at level 3 if you have sensitive skin, or maybe 6 if you think your skin is a bit more hardy. You may want to start out using it every other night. Go to the message boards for more advice and info at the Green Cream website if you want. I looked over there a lot when I started and it was helpful. Be patient - you WILL see results but there may be an adjustment period at first. Stick it out, be patient and you WILL see awesome results!!

on 1/14/2009 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

What a waste of money. I've been reading tons of amazing reviews on this product, but it's done nothing for me.

I bought it to clear up my skin and even out my skin tone, which can get riddled with hyper-pigmentation spots after breakouts. They take months to fade, and it's frustrating because my skin could be clear, but doesn't look it because of the damn spots!

So after reading the reviews on how smooth and even and glowing their complexion became after using this stuff, and the purging and flaking and all that business, I thought "Wow, this must be some powerful stuff, sounds like the solution to all my problems!" I even wrote on their forum where the company's rep responded to users, and he replied that ethnic skin responds amazingly well to retinols and wouldn't make my hyper-pigmentation worse.

I bought Level 6 to begin with, and started out with a once daily application at night. I noticed that my skin got a little dry, but that was warned about before hand, so no worries there.

But after a month of use, I had noticed no difference in my skin. It was the same as it'd ever been. Color me disappointed...

I still have the container, and use it around my eyes, mouth, and nose at night occasionally, just to use it up.

I'm not going to waste my money and pin my hopes on Level 9.

on 12/25/2008 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Been using Green Cream for a few months now and have to say I really love, love, love this stuff. I have very dry skin 365 days a year, never had a problem with oil or acne even as a teenager and have never used a retinol based product in my life. So started with samples of Level 3 and 6 for a few weeks and quickly went in to using Level 6 nightly with no issues what so ever. I never had any purging, redness, peeling or irritation that some others have had using GC...so I feel very fortunate in that.
I have to say I started taking my skin care seriously back in September of this year when I noticed discolorations, uneven skin tone, an abundance of freckling that seemed to pop out of nowhere (I have always had freckles but not in the places they were popping up!) even on my lower lip area. I also noted facial sagging and the appearance of nasolabial and marionette lines as well....more or less I was a complete wreck...and this all happened within a short period of time due to stresses over the past several months in my life.......Going from people telling you that you look 20'ish at 37 to what I was looking like was really horrible for me.....

While I do use other products on my skin that have helped me tremendously, I do owe the world to GC Level 6 as it has been the main foundation of my skin turn around. What I have noticed it did was evened out my skin coloring and tone....reduced my freckling (even got rid of the one on my lower lip)....I have gotten more firming, but cannot attest this solely to the GC as there are other things that I am using that would cause this also......it made my skin texture very smooth....I noticed a reduction in pore size on my forehead from early on, the pores on my cheeks have only now noticeably gotten smaller, but here again, there are other products that I am using now that I wasn't using a few months ago that may have helped with the cheek pore size as well. All in all, I have loved what this has done for my skin...it has made it look so much healthier, clearer and honestly my skin is not as dry as it used to be. It has really given me the foundation to greater looking skin. As far as the line reduction...I do believe it made my forehead lines less apparent. They weren't really bad to begin with, not deep or anything, but the GC and certain products I am using now have made them almost invisible. I will probably move up to a Level 9 sample here shortly as I am almost done with my bottle of Level 6. Hopefully my skin will tolerate it and I will continue to see more improvement. If not, I will just move back down to Level 6.......Quite simply, GC as part of my daily skin care regime is here to stay whatever level I am able to use.

on 7/10/2008 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I first reviewed level 6 in 2004 and discontinued use because although I saw a lot of improvement I could never seem to get past the flaky purge stage. I tried Afirm and Avene and didn't really like either of them as much, so discontinued retinols altogether for a couple of years.

A few months ago I discovered level 3. I was able to use it every night from pretty early on. I gradually transitioned to level 6 every other day. Had a little flakiness and purging after the first week or two but that was it. I can use level 6 every day but actually prefer the way my skin responds to alternating levels 3 and 6.

My only caution is with retinols you must be very careful with sun exposure, especially if you are fair and prone to sunburn.

on 6/16/2008 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Green Cream is a dream! It has finally faded the pigmentation from BC pills that have plagued me since I turned 30! I started out with #3 almost two years ago. I used it every other night to start out. I did have some flakies and a little purging. I have very dry skin and a sensitive chin area. To me that just meant it was doing something! My dark spots began to fade and my skin felt and looked moisturized and *glowy*. I became a religious sunblock user during this time because any bit of sun makes the spots darker. I moved up to level 6 with just a little bit of flaking and dryness and started using every night, once my skin adjusted. I am nearly out of my level6 and am thinking of moving up to level 9. I read on green cream's community board that people have had even better results either using level 6 twice a day or level nine once.
I put on a peasize drop at night right after I cleanse with Bert's orange essence or Skin apetit. Both of these and green Cream have made my "so dry it hurts skin" comfortable again! I had tried going to the derm and getting Renova before this, but I didn't see any results after a couple of months. I saw results within 2 wks with green cream. I am amazed how Green cream works on wrinkles and dry skin and clearing out pores and pimples!! The price is 37-50$ I bought mine on cosmeticville.com and it shipped in 3 days.
Anyone that is discouraged about brown spots should give this a try. I am so glad I did! Thanks makeup alley!

on 1/8/2008 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

It didn't do much for me that I could tell. Seemed a bit drying and irritating, probably the alcohol. I prefer RoC's retinol night cream.

on 12/22/2006 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I LOVE Green Cream! Hooray! I want to shout it from the rooftops.....I have been using Green Cream for 6 months consistently (alternating between Level 3 and Level 6), and the results are incredible.

I agree with the other reviewers that used to use heavy foundation--I don't even need foundation now! My skin is glowing and every morning my husband tells me how great my skin looks so this product is worth it's weight in gold!

By the way, I have very acne-prone skin and USED to break out a lot. Now, if I feel a blemish coming on, I just spot it with Level 6 and it's gone by the next day.

I HIGHLY recommend this ptoduct more than any other beauty product I have reviewed on this board--REAL, consistent results.