Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream by AST

Filtered by skin type : Oily
Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream by AST

4.4

D.I. water, ethanol, glycerine, aloe vera gel,octyldodecanol, retinol & polysorbate 20, cucumber extract, butylene glycol, cetyl dimethicone copolyol, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, tocopheryl, acrylates/C10-C30 crosspolymer, tea-carbomer, propylene glycol, diazolidinyl urea, propylparaben, methylparaben, disodium edta, may contain FD&C yellow 5, red 40, blue 1

on 1/26/2010 1:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I first used Green Cream about 7 or 8 years ago, and it was the first real "antiaging" product I'd ever tried. I'd recently read about Green Cream, but I didn't know anything about retinols (or any other biologically active skin care ingredients). I was in my late 30's and I'd decided I needed to start paying attention to the care of my skin. I'd noticed lines beginning between my eyebrows, and I wasn't about to let them stick around without a fight. Back then, my experience with skin care was limited, at best. Basically, for about 25 years, I'd regularly used what I thought of as an all-purpose wash and, if-needed- moisturizer: Noxzema. (Stop snickering, it's really cheap.) During my first couple of years of using Green Cream, I had an extreme love-hate relationship with it. At times, I had quite a bit of uncomfortable and unsightly peeling and drying. Plus, I would get that nasty "crepey eye" problem. This completely defeated the purpose using of an anti-aging product, considering it made me look around 15 years older. However, when regularly using Green Cream (and sucking it up during the Lizard Stages), I eventually always saw very positive results. They were definitely good enough to make me want to figure out how best to make this product work for me. My sudden interest in antiaging had brought with it a complete lack of understanding of the specific synergies of active and inactive ingredients in skincare products. Based on recommendations, blogs, ads, boards, etc. I had learned about BHAs, aspirin masks, toners, etc., and I used them all...including Green Cream. I think I actually created skin irritation and problems for myself, because I'd never heard of "delivery systems", or"skin identical" ingredients. It's so exciting to see real results from an OTC skin care product, that it's tempting to try to use more than really needed, to get accelerated results, and to think that using lots of different products will cover any possible skin issue. I didn't realize it, but I was overapplying Green Cream in an attempt to evenly cover my whole face. Plus, I was using it in conjunction with many products that didn't do well with retinol. I hadn't learned that serums sort of "migrate" into your skin, and too much cream actually inhibits the way the skin responds to retinol. I had applied Green Cream as though it was a typical night-time moisturizer. After trial and error, I learned that I need half the amount of what I already thought was a skimpy squirt! Perfect application for me is one half-pump, (meaning I press the pump about half way down.) A "full" pump, (pushed all the way down) is more than I need for my whole face. Now I use level six every night and I don't get crepes, or flakes, or redness. The Green Cream company says to put a "pea" sized amount over the whole face, and they're not kidding. Green Cream is the most outstanding skin product I've found for improving and maintaining my facial skin. I've alternated usage of it with other OTC retinols for the last several years, in attempts at finding OTC "cosmetics" that had pharmaceutical functions for enhancing skin health. Out of every concoction I've used (Alpha Hydrox - Neutrogena - Paula's Choice -Avene - Philosophy - Skinceuticals, to name a few,) with regular usage, Green Cream, by far, does the most for my skin. I love Dermadoctor's Poetry In Lotion, but it does not work as well as Green Cream for clogged pores and breakouts. Plus, I've found Green Cream to be much gentler than most other OTC retinols I've used (with the exception of Poetry In Lotion). Green Cream absorbs so quickly into my skin I can't even tell I have anything on my face, and it smells and feels soothing and refreshing. Results are noticeable within the first week of applications. I'm 44, with medium skin that tans very easily. This tanning ability always made it easy for me to forget sunscreen, or think I didn't need it. Thanks to "great" tans during the first half of my life, having 3 kids, and living in a sunny climate, without regular usage of retinol and skin exfoliants, my skin now gets blotchy, melasma appears, and my skin can look drawn and sallow. I have a couple of fine lines, but no deep wrinkles, yet, and I want to keep it that way as long as I can. Mostly I try to combat pigmentation problems, fill-in my pores, and prevent further damage. Green Cream makes my skin so smooth and glowy, I don't even need foundation. (Seriously, I don't want to cover up my nice-looking skin!). I do double-takes at my own reflection, because I can't believe how good my skin looks. Green Cream helps my irregular skin pigmentation (melasma, sun spots) to look more even, and makes my skin clear and radiant. These days my skin resembles the skin I so took for granted in my younger days. Green Cream also smooths-over my pores, and it seems to help light spots become less visible. When I was pregnant two years ago, I couldn't use it, but I was surprised to see how quickly it worked to get my skin back into shape after my daughter was born. I had been so worried about the condition of my skin, but Green Cream helped me completely bounce back in about two months. My skin feels soft, and smooth, with absolutely 0 stickiness or oils. I cannot use Green Cream regularly on my neck or around my eyes, so I alternate it with Poetry in Lotion for these areas. Green Cream, unlike anything else I've tried, makes my skin feel "plumped", and more elastic; in a word, younger. It's amazing stuff. Green Cream is reasonably priced. I'd pay more for it, because it truly works for me, but I'm glad GC is still so affordable, esp. because it's unique.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is a very good product. I've used it for over a year, in varying levels, and I've given it to my mother and to close friends. Note: it does NOT work nearly as well as prescription-strength retinoids, but for what it is, it's quite nice.

First of all, the basics: I'm 35, and I'm very frequently mistaken for far younger. I'm not sure if it's my skin or just general youthful features (heck, maybe it's the baby fat), but that's a nice feeling. I have extremely acne-prone skin, exacerbated by monthly hormones, and I'm also interested in preventing signs of aging. Treating acne and preventing aging are often cross-purposes, and so retinoids have been a great discovery for me. However, finding the right retinoid was a challege. I wanted to love RoC's products, for instance, but they break me out. Other products that didn't cause breakouts just didn't have enough active ingredient for my liking. Sooo, despite that I think Green Cream is quite an expensive product, I gave it a whirl. That was over a year ago.

I started with Level 3, using it at nite, and in the morning, I'd use Olay Regenerist Serum, a sunblock, a moisturizer, and my regular makeup. I'd been using Regenerist for quite some time, and that had already had visible results. Adding the Green Cream very soon gave me an even more "glowing" appearance, and while nothing much seemed to be changing with my acne, I knew I'd need to give it more time. I wanted to ramp up to a higher formulation, and by starting with Level 3, I avoided purging, and any flaking was kept to a real minimum.

After a few weeks, I started using Level 6. I was able to tolerate Level 3 around my eyes, on my neck, and on my chest, so I kept some Level 3 around for those areas. Everywhere else on my face, tho, I used Level 6, and before long, I did see a reduction in acne problems. Eruptions would heal far more quickly, my normally deep, painful cysts didn't appear as often, and as before, my skin maintained a glowing appearance I'm awfully fond of. I didn't flake much upon introducing Level 6, but I did notice that exfoliating well every few days grew more important.

After about 6 months of this, I decided to try Level 9. This, again, was an easy transition. I did flake a bit, but moisturizing well helps, as does exfoliating regularly. It's been 4 months now, and my skin looks really healthy and glowy! That is, except for my breakouts, which really have not improved. Not much seems to work for that -- topical salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, the typical remedies. I'm moving on to Retin-A (nites) and azelaic acid (mornings) for that. But I still credit Green Cream for the overall appearance of my skin, my utter lack of lines and early wrinkles, and that healthy glow that gets so many comments.

Moving from Green Cream to Retin-A was not as traumatic as what others have experienced, too. No purging, just a bit of flaking, and that's likely because I've just been moving right up the retinoid scale.

Now, WARNING. Retinoids make your skin thinner, so if acne is a problem for you, scarring is more likely, especially if you have a tendency to pick at your breakouts or otherwise harass them. ALSO, you will be far more sensitive to UV rays, so wearing a sunscreen every single day, even in the winter, is of utmost importance.

on 4/9/2008 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I've been using Green Cream for about two months now. I started with level 6 and have now moved up to level 9.
Update: I credit this product with readying my skin for Retin-A, but I feel for the price it was a bit much. I recently read Paula Begoun's review of the product at Cosmetics Cop and I she gives the product a very poor review because of the high alcohol content. It prevents the retinol from helping the skin.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is my first review. I don't know what made me order the Green Cream. I'm usually buy cheap skincare products. I guess I didn't expect the results that everyone was mentioning. I've been using Level 3 since January 07. I've not had any purging or other negative reactions. About 3 months into using the Green Cream, I was looking in the mirror and thought "oh my God, this stuff really does work!" I'm 48 and have oily skin with occasional breakouts. Since GC, my skin had stayed clear and looks vibrant. This is only on level 3!!! I'm going to order another level 3 then work my way up to the level 6. I really don't think I would need to use the level 9. I use mineral makeup and finding that I'm using less mineral foundation as my skin improves. For me, this has been worth the money. I just wish that I could buy this locally and not do mailorder.

on 1/8/2007 9:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Here’s my testimonial to this stuff…it rocks! After multiple failed attempts at regaining the control level of my acne problem, I used a sample of green cream. There was not enough time or product to give it a fair evaluation using just a sample so I took the plunge and ordered a full-size Level 9 bottle from an online spa. I was highly reluctant since anything with the word ‘cream’ in it scares me…my pores clog up from the word alone! I am also on prescription Retin-A, the highest strength, have been for more years than I can count, and lost the control level after some time. I was breaking out at a rate of 3 to 4 pimples a day. It was an ugly, swollen, and painful situation, which set me back and put me into tears. I have fought this disease for so long and can’t believe how it just got out of control again. My hormones were influencing this greatly but I did not want to subject myself to hormonal therapy. I do recall when I first started Retin-A therapy that it wasn’t until about 4 months that I started to see clear skin. I did go through the purge so I knew to be patient with this green cream. The very first night I used it I was shocked the next morning! I noticed a dramatic difference in my skin, especially around the chin area and the smoothness was undeniable. Although the prescription strength Retin-A has a higher percent of retinol than the green cream and one would think it would thus work better, it does not for me. The difference lies in the transport vehicle. The Retin-A is gel/cream-based and the green cream is a gel-based polymer. It is quite cooling when applied. You really can’t form a ‘pea’ when you squirt this stuff out so it basically comes out to a ‘squirt-size’ amount of green cream that is applied to the face and sometimes neck and chest area. One squirt covers it all and continued use at this level will last about a month before you need to replenish your stock (just take the bottom cover off to check the level on occasion). I used Level 9 nightly for 3 solid months before attempting a review because I wanted to give this stuff a fair chance and I recall how when first using Retin-A, that it took at least 4 months or so to get clear. Some folks think they can then stop when clear and that they are cured. That is not the case with a disease like acne. What you want to achieve is the ‘control’ level. Whatever it takes to get there then that is what you must maintain daily in order to keep your skin clear. The green cream is non-troublesome at night, unlike BPO and other acne/retinoid creams, which have heaviness to them. As for the acne, I was breaking out terribly (or purging, as some like to call it) from this green cream in the first 2 months of usage but kept reading and remembering to be patient. I truly almost did give up on it thinking how sad that it turned on me. The acne that was developing however was different from my usual painful cystic disgusting nodules and pustules. They were smaller and more like whiteheads so I knew something was happening and perhaps leading to something…something good, that is. At last, I hit the control level in the 3rd month of usage! I cannot believe my chin…I am typically sporting heavy huge acne on it, which sets me into tears for the most part. Now, it's clear! I sometimes felt sorry for my skin that it has to take so much abuse and cannot possibly imagine it can handle one more pimple…but those dang things manage to find pore after pore after pore. Until green cream came along, that is! My skin is scarred and changed due to being traumatized from so many acne inflammations, but I nourish it well. I now own Level 3 and Level 6 of the green cream and use them on the weekends and when I want sort of a light coverage. I typically cocktail them with C and ferulic acid based serums. I experience zero problems from any level of the green cream with the exception of minimal irritation on my upper neck or just below my chin on the very soft part of my upper neck. It was red and dry for a while but was easily corrected with a light moisturizer and simple avoidance of the area when applying the green cream. It took me over a year to get the courage to use the little sample jar of green cream and I wish I had done it sooner. I would have saved my skin from some major acne breakouts and would have saved a lot of emotional pain. I can now form a fair evaluation of this stuff after a good 3-4 months of usage…it has proved to be a miraculous product in dealing with my skin issues. Super duper stuff and I can finally smile again and not be so embarrassed and even ridiculed for my acne problem. In addition, facial lines and pores are greatly diminished and my skin color and tone are greatly enhanced. Wow! P.S. for more info go to: http://greencream.com/communityboard

on 9/11/2006 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I have been using Green Cream for several months now (about a year) and I am thrilled with the results. I started with a sample of level 3, then a sample of level 6. I then used a full sized bottle of level 6 and am now using level 9.

I struggled with cystic acne for years and this has really helped to improve the texture and clarity of my skin. You do break out briefly when you start using this but it should clear up in about 2 weeks. The product is light but also feels moisturising. I use BP as part of my regimen and on the nights where my skin feels a little dry, I can still use this and it softens and moisturises my skin but also works to gently exfoliate. There is no noticeable fragrance either.

This product does contain a small amount of silicones so if you are sensitive to silicones, you may want to use this with caution. Some silicones bother my skin but I have not had any problems with this. It is truly a fantastic product. People see me now and tell me my skin looks clear and glowing.

UPDATE: I took a break to use Retin-A 0.1% which I have used before and did not get the kind of results I got with my GC. The formulation of GC definitely agrees with my skin and personally gives me much better results than I have seen with my prescription Retin-A

Ingredients are: D.I. water, ethanol, glycerine, aloe vera gel,octyldodecanol, retinol & polysorbate 20, cucumber extract, butylene glycol, cetyl dimethicone copolyol, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, tocopheryl, acrylates/C10-C30 crosspolymer, tea-carbomer, propylene glycol, diazolidinyl urea, propylparaben, methylparaben, disodium edta, may contain FD&C yellow 5, red 40, blue1,red 3. continued >>

on 1/31/2006 12:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I wish I could say it worked miracles on my skin, but it actually did the reverse. The first few days of GC Level 3 use were promising: it absorbed rapidly, only burned a little upon application, and didn't leave my skin looking red or irritated. I was a bit concerned because I have an alcohol sensitivity that normally renders my skin unable to tolerate even the smallest % in a face product. That sensitivity caught up with me after a few days (my face swells, it's not pretty!, and turns an ugly bronzey shade) and I stopped use for about a week, then resumed use only 2x week. My face was an absolute mess. The swelling did not abate, and stubborn, scaly dry patches cropped up everywhere (how many were a product of the alcohol base and which were retinol-related, or both, I can't say). The dry patches were resistant to the most emollient moisturizer I could find. Needless to say, I gave up on GC after a couple of weeks. One week later, using my super-gentle Dove foaming cleanser and forgoing all face products, I'm still a bit swollen. I'm thinking of trying Avene Retrinal next, since it's supposed to be much gentler than retinol on super-sensitive skin like mine.

on 11/6/2005 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I really like this product. It has noticeably decreased the look of hyperpigmentation that I had on my face from some blemishes. I did go through a week or so period of extreme flaking which was hard to control even with daily exfoliation. I'm using it three times a week now and love the look of my skin.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Extremely happy with this. I started about 2 months ago and it's worked wonders on my skin. I also use a high ppd s/s & C serum, but I'm convinced this is one of the main products that has helped with my stubborn-as-heck melasma. I'm at level 9 and I've gotten past the peeling and purging with nothing left but smooth skin. There may be stronger retinoids out there but they either constantly irritate my skin or include other ingredients that I prefer not to put on my face. The bottle's designed to help keep it stable which includes an air tight pump and opaque package. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell how much is left but if it preserves the actives, it's worth it. I'm on my third month so I'm almost ready for another tube. GC's ingredients:

UPDATE: I've decided to move to something stronger (Tazorac at night), however, I'll still use this in the morning and around my eyes at night since it's moisturizing and my skin has adapted so well to it. UPDATE 6/19: I've come back to GC level 9. Tried Taz at all levels of gel & cream and the .5 cream didn't work and the others were way too harsh even when mixing moisturizer. Tried Diacneal a few times after the raves and how it's supposed to trump CG and not only did it NOT do anything, but it made me constantly break out in bumps that took forever to go away. Despite these other retinoids that are considered "better", they certainly didn't with me. GC trumps everything elsed I've tried on my skin.

on 10/1/2005 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Thanks to MUA for the great reviews about green cream!! I am using a sample of level 6, and I think I love it! I ordered a full-size and will update after a week or two. I have some clogs, wrinkles, and pigmentation to work on, which the green cream is perfect for. I am also using the Philosophy Makeup Optional kit, and loving it too. Update: Ok, this works better than anything I've tried. My pigmentation is fading really fast. Lines are getting less noticable. If you're unhappy with your skn, give this a try! January 15,2006: I ordered Level 9, since I love this product so much! You can expect some minor flaking and possibly some irritation in the beginning, but it is so worth it to go slow with this and keep using it. Update: September 23,2006: I am still using Level 9, but have switched to non-detergent cleansers. I am currently using Devita Aloe Moisturizing Cleanser, which is nice for oily/combo skin because it's gentle and balances my skin. Still love Green Cream!