Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream by AST

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream by AST

3.9

D.I. water, ethanol, glycerine, aloe vera gel,octyldodecanol, retinol & polysorbate 20, cucumber extract, butylene glycol, cetyl dimethicone copolyol, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, tocopheryl, acrylates/C10-C30 crosspolymer, tea-carbomer, propylene glycol, diazolidinyl urea, propylparaben, methylparaben, disodium edta, may contain FD&C yellow 5, red 40, blue 1

on 8/5/2016 8:18:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I was pleasantly surprised by this. After using several other retinol products which either did nothing or gave me terrible breakouts, I tried the Level 9 and was happy with both the relatively low price and the gentleness of the product. It was recommended to me by a friend and I bought the one she used (9) without bothering to go up the product ladder, and I'm glad I did.

My skin is relatively sensitive but I experienced no irritation when using this, though the first couple of times it made me peel. It wasn't angry red flakes though, just a very thin layer of intact skin that came off in a sheet (gross but less awful than redness and pain!) and did not cause any redness. I find that it keeps the dry skin on my nose at bay and makes clogged pores easier to extract.

I use it twice a week, more or less, and it has never caused me discomfort. I'll finish this one before I decide if I'm going to run back to Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle, which really softens my skin but isn't quite as strong as this one. I'll probably switch back to that one in winter when I need a little extra moisture, because the Green Cream is a really light gel and I'd have to layer it when it gets cold.

Not bad, not bad at all. Jury is still out on whether or not it will lighten up my freckles and smooth some pesky forehead wrinkles, but I'm going to give it another month. It takes almost no product to cover my face so I expect I'll have a long time yet to decide.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I came upon Green Cream while in desperate need of some serious measures for my very acne prone, oily skin. I read many great reviews about the wonders it was doing for people's acne. I've found that the product works "ok". I do not like the fact that it contains alcohol and a dye to give it the green tint. It is a very strong retinol so if you have sensitive skin I would use no more than every other night. I experience flakiness if I try to use every night. I think that this product has moderately helped my acne, but not enough to continue using.

on 9/29/2012 10:17:00 AM

I started on 0.6%. I have been using this product for about 6 weeks. It is quite aggravating; I have experienced redness and burning. However, when my skin is not aggravated I can see that it is clear and has an even tone. I should state here, however, that I have also been using Philosophy's vitamin c powder, so this is probably contributing to the improvement in my skin as well.

on 10/26/2011 2:25:00 PM

First let me say that I am a very strong believer in OTC Retinol products used in the PM and Vitamin C serums used in the AM. This combination does work, not overnight, but after 30-60 days you will begin to see a difference!!!! [depending of course on how much sun damage your skin has].

I began using OTC Retinol's about 4 years ago, starting with AfirmX cream, and this product is excellent! I began with Afirm's 1X moving to 2X and finally to the 3X [strongest] over a period of months. I did have to return to the 2X after a few weeks of using 3X as it was too strong for my fairly sensitive skin.

Then at the beginning of 2011, I discovered Green Cream. Again I started with the lowest dosage [Level 3] and progressed to Level 6 [ tried a sample size of the Level 9 but it was like Afirms 3X, just too strong for my skin] so I stayed with Level 6 which is equivalent in strength to Afirm's "too strong for me" 3X cream. After doing some research, I discovered that the reason my skin would tolerate GC's Level 6 but not Afirm's 3X was that the Green Cream is formulated so that those of us with fairly sensitive skin can use a stronger dosage without the ugly flaky side affects found with using stronger levels Retinols. It is for this reason only that I switched from Afirm to GC and why I stay with the GC. Both are great products.

If you have never used a Retinol product I would encourage you to begin with the lowest level and if that is tolerated well then advance to the next level. Please don't "jump" into the strongest level of either of these Retinol products in the beginning, do play it safe!

on 4/8/2011 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I used Level 6. This did not work for me at all. After 3 months of diligent use, my skin is rougher, my acne worse and of a more severe kind, and no effect on my fine lines at all. The packaging is good, but it would help if the contents were worth the price!

on 5/9/2010 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I actually used Level 6 for some years on the area around my eyes, because although it contained alcohol and sometimes irritated the hell out of my skin, I still liked the tightening and smoothing effect it had on my eye area. I have meanwhile discovered a much more effective product, namely Skinceuticals 1.0 retinol cream, which although stronger than Level 6 is far less irritating and also has much better results in terms of plumping up and smoothing skin. Level 6 used to cause a wierd darkening of the skin around my eyes, like really bad eye circles. I think that was the irritation from the alcohol, because I am not getting that anymore since I've started using Skinceuticals. It is certainly very important to use a retinol product, but there are far better products out there, without irritating ingredients, that are worth the investment.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Ok so im using level 6 i love it. it literally has saved me from my gross clogged pores. i went on accutane and got off a few months ago and about a month ago my skin started getting really congested :( so i got this and within a few weeks my skin didnt have anymore clogged pores! the only bad thing is its $60 for a product that lasts little more than a month and i cannot afford it. SO beginning this thursday (my appt with my derm) i will be hopefully be going on either retin a/retin a micro/or differin. HOPEfully another retinol works just as well because if not im going to be very sad :(

on 9/10/2009 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've been eyeing green cream for a few years now, and finally took the plunge. So far, I'm very pleased. I'd rate it a '5', but I've only used it for a few weeks now.

I'm 34, and over the past few years my skin has become extremely dry. I intitally attributed it moving to a very cold and dry area of the northeast, but after moving back to the southeast and enjoying one of the rainest summers ever, I've realized the dry skin is here to stay. It became so bad, that I developed eczema for the first time in my life. I still had pimples but they were horrible because my skin was so dry- deep, almost cystic like, and impossible to eradicate. I also noticed that my feckles were merging together, almost giving me a fair-skin melasma even though I'm very careful about sun exposure. I've tried everything, topical and supplement, before finally doing some more research.

So- I broke down and bought the green cream level 6. Other AHA's and benzoyl wreck havoc on my face so I was a little concerned about buying level 6 but couldn't quite bring myself to pay almost as much to buy level 3. I also use cetaphil acne bar to wash with, and olay total effects as a day time moisturizer.

I am amazed! What surprised me the most is how well my skin has handled GC. I started using it on a night before several days off, just in case I had a reaction, and I've used it every night since. The very first morning I could tell a difference in how soft my skin was. Before, no amount of exfoliation and moisturizer could penetrate my skin, now I've ditched exfoliation entirely. No more product roulette- trying to find something that helps- GC is for me!! I'm even considering buying level 9 the next time.... I am just amazed at how well my skin has tolerated GC. The deep almost cystic-like acne is gone. The dry flakies are gone. My freckles are back to normal. What small wrinkles I had- greatly enhanced by the super dry skin- are minimal. The little whiteheads I've had on the middle of my chin since I was 12 are disappearing. My skin and old acne scars are becoming smooth, and when I touch my face, it is 'moist', but not oily. I just can't say enough good things about it!!

GC deserves to have the snapple logo in my book- it's truly the best stuff on earth.

***UPDATE***
After using GC for a while, my skin started to get really irritated. I think it's because I finally had enough skin cell turnover to have mostly new skin instead of several layers of old dry skin. I woke one morning to find my face peeling ala post sunburn. Mild, but not pretty. I stopped the GC for several days, babied my skin, and have slowly worked my up to every other night. It was worth it, though. My skin continues to improve. I'll hold off on buying level 9 for a while.

***Update 2***
I worked through the irritation and slowly increased my usage. Once I could tolerate GC6 twice daily, I moved up to GC9. I'm now using it nightly and my skin continues to improve.
Beyond the improvement of fine lines and discoloration, I am over the moon about the improvement of my dry skin and acne. I'm now 35, and this is the first time in 23 years that I have not had pimples, blackheads, etc. On the rare occasion I start to develop a blemish, I apply a teeny amount of GC to the problem area a couple of extra times a day and the next day, it's gone. I'm even considering buying level 3 for my teenager.
After decades of trying one thing after another I have found simplicity. I use a mild cleanser, GC at night, a moisturizer/sunblock in the AM. Other than makeup, that's it.

on 12/17/2008 11:03:00 PM

I have mixed feelings about this product ( Level 6.) I admit that it is an effective product, but not the level of effect I expected after reading the reviews. I usually have pretty sensitive skin, but I never had the first problem using this - no redness, no flaking, zilch. Even using it every night. I also did not have amazing results. I have always taken care of my skin - religiously sunblocked, totally tanless, good moisturizer - and I really don't have horribly aged skin. Just some mild discolorations and small lines and large pores. And while I did see results such as very minor smoothing of the lines and possibly a small improvement in the overall texture, but not a smidgen of difference in the pores, I certainly did not see the results I expected, especially given the $50 I paid for it. I actually saw better results with AHA 12% and probably should have continued with that. But you know, the grass is greener and the reviews were amazing. So all in all, I can't give this a poor rating as it does do what it claims, just not as well for me as for others apparently. Maybe I should have gone straight for the Level 9, which I still consider from time to time but hate to invest so much and again get only minor results. I'll probably just go back to AHA 12% until the next miracle product hits the reviews and the emerald lawn over yonder calls again.

on 7/10/2008 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I first reviewed level 6 in 2004 and discontinued use because although I saw a lot of improvement I could never seem to get past the flaky purge stage. I tried Afirm and Avene and didn't really like either of them as much, so discontinued retinols altogether for a couple of years.

A few months ago I discovered level 3. I was able to use it every night from pretty early on. I gradually transitioned to level 6 every other day. Had a little flakiness and purging after the first week or two but that was it. I can use level 6 every day but actually prefer the way my skin responds to alternating levels 3 and 6.

My only caution is with retinols you must be very careful with sun exposure, especially if you are fair and prone to sunburn.