OPI Nail Lacquer - Big Apple Red

OPI Nail Lacquer - Big Apple Red

4.6

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is one of my absolute favorite OPI shades. Perfect for any season: spring, summer, fall or winter (I wore this over the Christmas period). No shimmer in here, no glitter and plenty of staying power. I also don't require a top coat as it's very glossy on its own. 2 coats of this and I'm good to go. Love the large brush which makes for easy application, however the only thing to be aware of is that under certain artificial lighting (i.e my office workplace) it can morph into an orange-pink shade, which for me is far from a problem as A) I find it looks equally good like that, in its own unique way, and B) keeps my office co-workers guessing - when they catch me outside on my lunch break... "How did she have one shade on inside and then stepped out in another!?"

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(As I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, I thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective. I love constantly trying out new stuff - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Foot File/Callus/Heel Treatment - 'Microplane' - Colossal Pedicure Rasp Foot File
9. Ingrown Hair Treatment - 'Priva Shave' - Post Hair Removal Treatment
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 12/15/2018 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

OPI's Big Apple Red is the perfect, true red. It's a Santa red, Valentine's Red, Stop Light red.
It is slightly warm based on the Pantone scale, but not orange-y at all.
It goes on well, self levels, 2 coats and a top coat wears well for almost a week.
I don't wear reds that often, but I wouldn't be without this!

on 9/29/2016 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

My favourite OPI red. Very classy, yet eye catching bright red with warm undertones.
It gets over a week wear on acrylics with a top coat. Will definitely repurchase.

Best red in nail polish, HG.

If you want a cheaper, near identical dupe for OPI's BAR, Revlon Red 680 is pretty much an exact dupe, except Big Apple Red might be a note more orange.

on 5/26/2015 4:39:00 PM

Personally, I did not like this product at all. I have used many OPI nail polishes and they all seem to chip really easily even with a base/top coat. Additionally, they leave my nails stained with the colour once I have removed it. It takes a long time to get this nail polish off. I most definitely would NOT purchased this nail polish again because I think they are extremely over priced considering they are not very good. There are plenty of high-street nail polishes that are a lot better than this. I felt like I was just paying for the name and not the product itself (which should not be anywhere close to the price).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Big Apple Red looks reminds me of toffee coated candied red apples. Most reviews say the color is a bright true red but on my very pale yellow toned skin its a tomato red, and somewhat muted. Also pigmentation is of a slightly sheer crelly. Opaque in 3- 4 coats which is too much work for me. But I would like to try it as a single layer over a similar colored shimmery metallic or foil. I think it would glow.

Wear is poor - chips on day 1 - 2. I usually get 3 - 4 days from an Opi. Stains the skin around my nails with red dye when I take it off.

I've had better wearing and more flattering reds. So far I prefer Opi "The Color of Minnie" which is a pink-leaning true red with shimmer. I love how it contrasts against fair skin.

on 5/9/2015 7:37:00 AM

This is a perfectly good, serviceable shade of red. This is what they call a "true" red, it's not orangey or pinkish or blue-toned. I love red polishes and I don't know why it took me so long to try this one. It's one of OPI's most popular red polishes. It's bright and vivid, has an excellent formula too.

Opaque in two coats, and no problems with application of wear. Dries to a shiny finish.
But I have to say that it's not the ultimate red for me, there are others that I like more than this one (OPI Malaga Wine, Essie Macks). But even so I would still it buy again.

Recommended!

on 3/24/2015 8:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Absolutely LOVE the color. Perfect red for any season. The problem lies with wear. Always produces BIG chips within 2 days. OPI unfortunately didn't get the formula right with this one. Going to try Zoya Rekha; very similar in color and I am finding their formula is consistently better.

on 11/12/2014 3:56:00 AM

This is a super gorg red! Its like santa red!!! Perfect for tis season! I love the color and like all OPI colors they last soooo long without chipping... at least 1 week. While it looks like tomato red/fire engine red, frankly there are so many dupes out there .. so splurge if u want to, but if ur budget conscious, get a cheaper version..(psst!! there are so many)

Popular Polishes