Desert Essence Desert Essence Dry By Nature Deodorant

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
Desert Essence Desert Essence Dry By Nature Deodorant

2.8

Not tested on animals

Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua), Sodium Stearate (Vegetable Derived), Steareth-20, Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil (Neem), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Sodium Borate

Doesn't do much. I just use it now before I go to the gym so I don't have to throw it away. Makes me stink after an hour.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I tried this deodorant and a few days later it caused my skin to flake. I had really high hopes for this because I was looking for a cruelty free deodorant. It smell good but it burned me. My underarms hurt so bad. I am still willing to try their other products just not their deodorant.

on 8/12/2010 12:13:00 AM

I had tried Kiss My Face Active Enzyme deodorant which was absolutely awful. While at work one day, after using Kiss My Face and ending up, yet again, with bad b.o., I decided to stop at whole Foods on my lunch hour to pick up an alternative. Desert Essence was actually the cheapest ounce for ounce. I didn't expect much, since I already smelled, but as soon as I used it, the odor disappeared. It lasted all day. After work, I went for a long walk in 90 degree heat, and believe it or not, when I got home, the deodorant was STILL working!

My only concern about this product is the Propylene Glycol. Although the FDA has deemed it safe, there is some controversy over the safety of this ingredient. This is why I did not give it a 5 rating.

I stopped wear toxic deodorant years ago. My favorites are this one and the trader joes unscented cotton deodorant, but this one smells great compared to the unscented trader joes. I often get compliments on my fragrance, and people are surprised when I tell them it is my hippie deodorant!

on 12/9/2006 10:23:00 PM

This surprising works pretty well at both keeping me dry and odorless. So far I've just used it for day to day things, so I haven't exerted myself too much to cause a sweat...but it's really held up well. I'll keep using this for most days, it's definitely better than most other natural deodorants, so I'd try this one first if you don't mind the propylene glycol (sp?).

UPDATE: I wanted to like this, but after using it for awhile, IT STINKS! It smells horrible... on to the next I guess.

on 4/4/2006 12:25:00 PM

I was surprised that a "natural", aluminum-free deodorant could be as effective as my usual Dove in keeping me dry and odorless, but this one is! It is a clearish gel-like formula that feels a bit little tacky immediately after applying, but dries fine and doesn't feel weird or sticky. The scent is great--light, fresh and completely unobtrusive. The one thing I didn't like was that the top of the "stick" is not rounded, so that you end up rubbing sharp edges into your underarms when you first begin using this--not fun. This does seem to keep me dry all day, but then, it's only April and I'll have to update when the horrible summer weather rolls around. It's more expensive than normal deodorant (around 6-7 USD, though there also seems to be more product than usual), but if you're wary about aluminum, it's really a small price to pay. So far, I'm quite pleased.

From the package:

"Desert Essence Dry By Nature's effective deodorant protection comes not from aluminum salts, but from an exclusive blend of pure botanical oils. Used daily, the soothing stick inhibits wetness and neutralizes odor with healthy, fresh-scented essential oils of Camomile and Calendula."

No animal ingredients or testing.

No alcohol, artificial color or synthetic perfumes.

Ingredients: Propylene Glycol, Purified Water, Sodium Stearate, Cocamide DEA, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Neem Oil, Camomile Matricaria Extract, Calendula Extract, Witch Hazel Extract, Lechen Extract, Sodium Borate

ETA: Okay, I knocked a lippie off b/c I definitely feel a little sweaty at the end of a warm day or if I'm doing anything more than taking a slow stroll down the street. But I'll continue to use this as I think the health benefits outweigh the slight inconvenience (anyway, even regular antiperspirant wouldn't keep me dry all day or on really super-hot days). continued >>