L'Oreal Paris On The Loose Shimmering Powder - Five Alarm

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

These are the closest drugstore purchase to MAC pigments. Shades are highly pigmented, easy to blend and last all day. Originally retailed between $6-8 each. Each small pot contains 2 grams of product. If you are looking for pigments, then these are a great way to go because of the price. I find loose powder to be a pain in the neck to apply, and too messy. The colors are very nice though, all look beautiful and apply true to color with great staying power. Five Alarm is a shimmery warm red with slight brownish undertones to it slightly muting the redness of it. It is very similiar to Dusky Shimmer but less silvery chuncky glitter.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

The color is actually called Five Alarm, which would explain why I was unable to find a review for this initially. This is a fiesty warm red eye shadow that flashes pink and looks even more vibrant and metallic when applied wet. I like it a lot, but I find that I only use it when Iíve dyed my hair a bright red. Otherwise, it looks too warm for me when my hair is natural (Dark Auburn). I prefer Finch Kiss to this, although they're very similar. Finch is cooler and is more difficult to find. However, if you are looking for a warm shimmery red eye shadow, this is the one for you.

on 3/25/2004 4:29:00 AM

while this mid rosy-goldish shade will work so fine as a blush, i can't imagine using this on my eyes. some ladies have recommended mixing this with aloe gel to create a gel blush. i'm game to try it = )

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

i love this color. i've been searching for a reddish eyeshadow that would look soft and i found it. i bought this for like 3 bucks i think cause it was 50% off and i love it. i've been obsessed with berry hued eyeshadows for months now and all the ones i've found are either too purplish or too pink and this one is a great mix of red with a little pink thrown in there so it doesn't look harsh. granted if you put too much on it'll make you look like you got hit in the eye or it'll end up looking orange. but with the right amount it's stunning.

on 2/18/2004 11:05:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I couldn't imagine put anything red hued on my eyes but for $1.37 I figured I could make it work. As it turned out this is my favorite of the few OTL shades I could scavenge; as a crease color it goes on kind of bright but softens to a warm rosy flush. Paired with a shade of peach on the lid, it gives a pretty, delicate look to my eyes. Poor staying power. I have to layer it over a similarly hued cream shadow to get it to stay put.

Five Alarm is a beautiful reddish pink color. It is nice because it blends easily as a crease color or it can be applied with a damp brush for more of a dramtic look. I just purchased this yesterday for $0.80 so I am very please with my purchase. I have discovered that MAC's pink freeze shadow looks amazing when appied damp over this.

Meh. Not a useful color for me. I bought it thinking about maybe using it as a lip color, but it's just too warm a shade for anything on me. For what it is, it's nice, but I tend towards cools. And red is totally not an eye color for me- I'd look sick or something.

on 12/16/2003 12:37:00 PM

Wow, a very pretty and unique color (brick red that flashes pink) that just did not work for me. It was one of those reds that just make me look a touch feverish, whether used on my eyes, lips or cheeks. I'm NC20 with blue-grey eyes, by the way, and prefer the more "subtle" or brownish OTL shades. I would think this shade would look fantastic used as special-effect makeup for a costume or performance, and on someone with a darker complexion. UPDATE: I tried mixing this with Sugar Coated, the shimmery white shade, and it makes a GORGEOUS pink - a bit salmony, and you can make it as light or dark as you please. I have totally changed my mind about OTL's - I love 'em!

on 11/5/2003 1:12:00 PM

Took a chance on this one as I am not one for red/pink e/s colors, but I was pleasantly surprised as it comes out more of a rusty red w/ a hint of orange than a bright scary red. A color that I usually save for nights out, not something that I use a lot but it looks nice when I do. Wouldn't repurchase as I don't think I'll ever use up the amount of product they put in the jars!! ;)

This is a pinky red color that will make an awesome eye shadow. I have already mized it with clear gloss and it makes a beautiful gloss. I mix it with some gold eye shadow (Flash Light) and it makes an awesome blush.

I love these powders and hope they make more soon so I can buy more.