Mason Pearson Pure Bristle Brush

Mason Pearson Pure Bristle Brush

4.7

on 7/6/2017 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

My hair: As a teen & in my early twenties, hip length, (it would grow past my knees if I let it) natural blonde, v fine, ultra soft, v shiny & lots of it, a spectacular mane, I was so proud, loved it.

Thirties onwards: hair dull, thinner, won't grow as long, dry ends, I try every product they bring out to reclaim my Godiva like hair. It had become dark blonde, blah & wouldn't grow like it had, even the shine had gone, sigh.

Light bulb: Mason Pearson brushes. The only styling or product (beyond hot oil treatments - V05) my hair knew in it's glory days was brushing with these brushes - I'd stopped long since thinking brushing was bad for it - the irony. In it's beautiful days, hairdressers used to ask when I went for a trim how I achieved it, I had no idea, it just grew that way, I thought. I do remember I used to bend my head upside down frequently through the day to brush it, wherever I was and then throw it back which made it fluff into ultra voluptuous mane territory. It looked like I had extensions it was so lovely dammit. Males stopped me in the street to stroke it & check if it was real - i could cry.

I've read the reviews and remembered, thanks everyone, am off to get a Mason Pearson asap, and drop all so called enhancing shine etc products, useless muck that clog scalps and ruin hair. Mason Pearson I remember give shine, condition, stimulate growth & help dry ends.

Edit:

A day after writing this have bought my Mason Pearson pure bristle brush in the Handy size. Anyone who wants beautiful hair should own one & if cost is a problem, buy a smaller size.

An investment but for how long?
With the care reccomended by Mason Pearson, one can expect the brush to last about thirty years. This is born out by reviews of purchasers I've found on Amazon UK who were replacing after thirty years. The brushes are almost completely hand made just as they were during the Victorian era, to ensure the finest quality.

Prices:
Do shop around, one can pay double the price in some places, whilst being wary of fakes.

Which size & bristles should one choose?
I rang M.P. for advice about which brush to choose and gleaned the following:

The bristle and nylon is probably best for a medium to thick hair amount of hair.
The pure bristle for medium to thinner fullness of hair.
The sensitive pure bristle for thin or thinning hair & sensitive scalps. The bristles of this brush are finer than the others & so on thicker hair may not reach the scalp.
The nylon bristle for very thick hair.

M.P. have advice in their site about bristle and which brush to choose.
The size of the brush won't make any difference to the positive effects, it will just take longer to brush through with a smaller brush. Also M.P. reccomend the size of the brush should be chosen according to hand size so one can wield it more comfortably & with more control, small hands, small brush etc. Have had a pocket size and large & medium size, all the same, equally good, I've small hands.

For those with hair loss:
Have read of a woman who found daily ten to fifteen minutes of brushing morning and night with a Mason Pearson slowed down hair loss due to medication (Prednisone) and for one man, this same morning & night regime helped (along with diet, DHT blocking nutritional supplements, getting more sleep and circulatory boosting exercise) stimulate ninety percent new growth after severe loss, due to hereditary pattern thinning.

A Hairdresser's advice:
Read a review on Amazon for this pure bristle brush by a hairdresser who said she was trained to use Mason Pearson and for anyone with thin hair, stop combing and use one of their pure bristle, it will strengthen roots, stimulate growth and condition hair by drawing sebum through it.

People new to brushing:
Dear hearts, do be consciously gentle at first, your scalp isn't used to brushing. My scalp tingled at first on going back to brushing, like it had had a work out, circulation no doubt. Bristles can feel odd against one's scalp in the beginning. And it can be alarming to see loose hairs coiled around the bristles after it's first session, this is normal for a first time. When my hair was beautiful & extremely voluminous, my brush was usually clogged full of hair but regrowth matched it and I had far more hair than I had once I stopped brushing.

Why was I daft enough to stop brushing for years on end?
The prevailing advice from trichologists and beauty articles at the time was 'brushing is bad, it will tear out your hair and split it, use combs instead, they're gentler.' I did, woe is me, fool I was and my hair, looks & vanity paid the price. I hope others may gain more beautiful hair from my mistake

India knight also has a very interesting & helpful article in The Sunday Times called 'a brush with greatness' about how a Mason Pearson transformed her problem hair.

Happy, beautiful hair to everyone.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I just reviewed the Junior which I bought for my daughter. FABULOUS brush. The hype is true! Worth every penny. Apparently the boar bristles do a phenomenal job at distributing the natural hair oil down the shaft. My hair - grey but colored - looks softer and shinier than ever! As a blonde, my hair is almost never shiny - it just doesn't reflect light. However using this brush makes a real difference.

What I often do is brush with the brush to distribute the oils, but then I style with my wide toothed comb which helps separate the hair for styling.

If you have ever been curious about this brush, give it a try. IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

on 11/18/2016 11:37:00 AM

After reading and hearing about Mason Pearson brushes being the Cadillac of all brushes, I wanted to get one. It was very pricey, and kept searching online to for a good deal. Luckily found one store in the UK, they offered me a discount code. I purchased one Extra pure bristle bristle brush (which is the largest size) and a pocket size pure boar bristle brush for my handbag while traveling.

Packaging is so vintage and beautiful. This brush looks so luxe laying on my vanity, I love it.

The bristles are quite hard, which I love compared to cheap boar bristle brushes, which skimps through the hair instead of touching the scalp. I love the feel of this brush on my hair, scalp do get a thorough massage while brushing and it really feels good. I use it twice daily, once in the morning and once at night before retiring to bed.

This truly is a spectacular brush and a great investment. I am sure these two MP brushes would last me years and years with proper care.

on 9/2/2016 7:55:00 AM

I've been religiously following Makeupalley's top picks for more than a decade! I can't remember a top pick that I wasn't impressed with. I'm also slightly guilty I have written a review.

When I first learned about the brush, through a rather materialistic book call 100 things to buy before you die. I dismissed it. What is this brush magic? I can buy an IPad mini with that money and it can do loads of things.

Yet my curiosity was piqued, the more I read the more incredible it sounds. I came across a boar bristle brush from Sephora, so I just bought it to try since it's 10% of the price. It's alright, I didn't have a comparison then, but u used it a few times and left it alone.

I was scrolling through top picks and saw the mason Pearson hair brush, didn't occur to me to check Makeupalley's review for a hair brush. I finally decided to get it, though apprehensive.

Got it from Nordstrom, not wanting to risk getting an imitation. Packaging is very vintage, love that!! Like I'm buying a bit of history. I like to imagine that the packaging didn't change since early 1900s.

Now on to the real deal! I got mix nylon and boar bristles, I was surprised there were much less bristles then Sephora's dupe. Overall, it looks classy and well made, luxurious to hold. Unlike Sephora's dupe, it brushes easily through my hair and it doesn't scratch my scalp at all. It detangles hair really well too.

What impressed me most is after I use it. It seem to be able to dislodge all sorts of debris from my scalp that I never know existed! It makes me wonder what my shampoo actually do?

The dupe kinda does a little of that (not as effective as Mason) but instead of being deposited on the brush, the debris are left on the hair shaft.

Every time I use it, it feels like my hair AND scalp is thoroughly cleanse, in a gentle and therapeutic way. I have no idea how it is able to cleanse so well without scratching my scalp like the dupe, even though the dupe isn't even half as effectively.

It is easy to imagine how it can eventually keep your hair ans scalp healthier. I'm very impressed and is now convinced that this deserves it's status as something you need to try and own.

on 1/2/2016 12:10:00 AM

I purchased this brush in the handy size around 5 or 6 years ago while traveling in London. I had just read about a "$150" hairbrush in one of the beauty magazines and thought, "what insanity! ". (Even though as an older person I can easily afford the product.). I notice the price has gone up since. After trying this brush out at home, I thought I made a $450 mistake! (I bought one for me, and 2 as gifts). Yikes, it really hurt my scalp! I didn't touch it again for years, discouraged by my first attempts. Since you don't just throw away a brush that costs so much, I picked it up about a year ago and now I really enjoy the feeling of the bristles against my scalp. I don't know what happened if my scalp got tougher or what but I use it daily now and I really like it. Great, as none of us enjoy wasting money. Even though it is pricey, I can now recommend it wholeheartedly because it looks like it will last for years. I have fine shoulder length hair and this brush does a marvelous job of redistributing the scalp oils. Don't overdo it, however, about 10-15 brush strokes is adequate.

on 10/26/2015 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Worth every penny. The brush will last you a lifetime. The bristles intensely massage your scalp and smooth out your hair like no other. I purchased mine 20 years ago and I still have the same one (I wash it regularly).

I know this isn't a website for dog items but have to give a plug for the 4 legged furry babies. I loved how the brush felt so much against my scalp and how it made my hair so smooth and glossy, I purchased a separate one for my dogs. They lay there so contentedly (they give me a look or sign when I stop) and I can see their fur looking so much glossier and smoother that no other brush has ever achieved after just a few minutes.

on 9/23/2015 7:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was intrigued by all the reviews i've read about this brush. However i was tossing up for months to buy it because i couldnt justify the price. The chemist near my house sold it 20% cheaper than the normal retail price, so i finally caved in & bought the handy size in classic black. I have to say i'm still not used to how scratchy the boar bristles can feel on my scalp. I've been using it daily for over 2 weeks now and so far so good. I feel my scalp is healthier, no more itch on the next day after i wash my hair. My ends feel moisturised. I notice less hair fall when i wash my hair in the shower. I have also stopped using any styling product completely. Because brushing my hair regularly gives it a nice defined shape, that i can only achieve with the help of styling product previously. Really love this brush. Overall i'm really happy with it.

on 8/15/2015 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This brush was a gift to myself for my birthday. I am very pleased with the quality of this brush I have had it for about 9 months now, and with weekly dry cleaning it looks brand new. I have used boar bristle only brush for several years now. This brush has the longest length of boar bristles compared to all my prior brushes. I find it easily reaches my scalp for "massage" benefits. Handle shape and length are perfect. I am surprised how light weight this brush is compared to other similar brushes. It's a lot of money to spend on a brush, but it's a great investment for those with long straight fine hair. I use it every night after I detangle my hair. Works great to smooth fly-aways or stray hair in up do. I'd repurchase if I lost my current brush (but hope it doesn't happen, due to the price)

on 6/12/2015 9:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I got my Mason Pearson Bristle & Nylon brush from Barneys NY over a year ago and I've been using it on clean and freshly washed scalp everyday ever since. I also use it to style, and tame backcombed hair, the nylon part of the brush is perfect for detangling without pulling hair out.
I love using my MP before i sleep because it gives the scalp such a good massage and distributes essential hair oils evenly and effectively, especially if you flip your head over and brush from the nape to the tip of your hair.
I have fine and wavy full bodied hair that becomes quite poofy from static right after using the brush. But after an hour or so, it settles into a nice shape with volume.
Overall, a healthier and fuller crown after a year of continuous use!

I had to think long and hard about this brush before I bought it. It is a lot of money to spend on a hair brush and I read review after review after review before I finally decided to get one. I bought the smaller size because for me it is easier to use a smaller brush. This really is a spectacular brush. I brush my hair every night with this and feel it gives me a great scalp massage and has made my hair look healthier with continued use. Would any boar bristle brush do that? I don't know. I just know that it has improved the condition of my hair and I am glad I have it.

Popular Hair Styling Tools