Mason Pearson Pure Bristle Brush

Mason Pearson Pure Bristle Brush

4.7

on 1/2/2016 12:10:00 AM

I purchased this brush in the handy size around 5 or 6 years ago while traveling in London. I had just read about a "$150" hairbrush in one of the beauty magazines and thought, "what insanity! ". (Even though as an older person I can easily afford the product.). I notice the price has gone up since. After trying this brush out at home, I thought I made a $450 mistake! (I bought one for me, and 2 as gifts). Yikes, it really hurt my scalp! I didn't touch it again for years, discouraged by my first attempts. Since you don't just throw away a brush that costs so much, I picked it up about a year ago and now I really enjoy the feeling of the bristles against my scalp. I don't know what happened if my scalp got tougher or what but I use it daily now and I really like it. Great, as none of us enjoy wasting money. Even though it is pricey, I can now recommend it wholeheartedly because it looks like it will last for years. I have fine shoulder length hair and this brush does a marvelous job of redistributing the scalp oils. Don't overdo it, however, about 10-15 brush strokes is adequate.

on 10/26/2015 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Worth every penny. The brush will last you a lifetime. The bristles intensely massage your scalp and smooth out your hair like no other. I purchased mine 20 years ago and I still have the same one (I wash it regularly).

I know this isn't a website for dog items but have to give a plug for the 4 legged furry babies. I loved how the brush felt so much against my scalp and how it made my hair so smooth and glossy, I purchased a separate one for my dogs. They lay there so contentedly (they give me a look or sign when I stop) and I can see their fur looking so much glossier and smoother that no other brush has ever achieved after just a few minutes.

To Read all 83 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/23/2015 7:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was intrigued by all the reviews i've read about this brush. However i was tossing up for months to buy it because i couldnt justify the price. The chemist near my house sold it 20% cheaper than the normal retail price, so i finally caved in & bought the handy size in classic black. I have to say i'm still not used to how scratchy the boar bristles can feel on my scalp. I've been using it daily for over 2 weeks now and so far so good. I feel my scalp is healthier, no more itch on the next day after i wash my hair. My ends feel moisturised. I notice less hair fall when i wash my hair in the shower. I have also stopped using any styling product completely. Because brushing my hair regularly gives it a nice defined shape, that i can only achieve with the help of styling product previously. Really love this brush. Overall i'm really happy with it.

on 8/15/2015 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This brush was a gift to myself for my birthday. I am very pleased with the quality of this brush I have had it for about 9 months now, and with weekly dry cleaning it looks brand new. I have used boar bristle only brush for several years now. This brush has the longest length of boar bristles compared to all my prior brushes. I find it easily reaches my scalp for "massage" benefits. Handle shape and length are perfect. I am surprised how light weight this brush is compared to other similar brushes. It's a lot of money to spend on a brush, but it's a great investment for those with long straight fine hair. I use it every night after I detangle my hair. Works great to smooth fly-aways or stray hair in up do. I'd repurchase if I lost my current brush (but hope it doesn't happen, due to the price)

on 6/12/2015 9:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I got my Mason Pearson Bristle & Nylon brush from Barneys NY over a year ago and I've been using it on clean and freshly washed scalp everyday ever since. I also use it to style, and tame backcombed hair, the nylon part of the brush is perfect for detangling without pulling hair out.
I love using my MP before i sleep because it gives the scalp such a good massage and distributes essential hair oils evenly and effectively, especially if you flip your head over and brush from the nape to the tip of your hair.
I have fine and wavy full bodied hair that becomes quite poofy from static right after using the brush. But after an hour or so, it settles into a nice shape with volume.
Overall, a healthier and fuller crown after a year of continuous use!

I had to think long and hard about this brush before I bought it. It is a lot of money to spend on a hair brush and I read review after review after review before I finally decided to get one. I bought the smaller size because for me it is easier to use a smaller brush. This really is a spectacular brush. I brush my hair every night with this and feel it gives me a great scalp massage and has made my hair look healthier with continued use. Would any boar bristle brush do that? I don't know. I just know that it has improved the condition of my hair and I am glad I have it.

My boyfriend spent a couple of weeks in London last year, and he brought this back as a surprise for me, so maybe I'm biased but this brush is one of my most treasured posessions.

Obviously it's an expensive hairbrush. Perhaps cheaper pure bristle brushes could do the exact same job. I haven't tried them all, so I don't know. What I do know, is that looking at my Mason Pearson (I've got the extra large size) laying on my dressing table makes me very happy. It's luxury. It's heirloom quality. It does a beautiful job brushing my hair. After my first few days with it, people were asking me ALL the time about what I had done to my hair. Most were incredulous when I put it all down to a new hairbrush. It feels fantastic on my scalp too.

If I am lucky enough to have a daughter one day, she will be receiving a MP for her first birthday!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'm writing this review because I had a conversation with someone recently who had heard of MP brushes but had never tried one. She complained that when researching info on the internet, lots of people rave about them but don't explain how they work... what makes them worth the price tag. So here is my stab at that. Boar's bristles are like human hair, in the same way that you can put a pig's heart in a human and ballistics experts fire bullets into sides of pork. We have something oddly in common with the piggie, which is why in my inexpert opinion they are considered forbidden to eat by 2/3rd of monotheism (and probably were by the other third before the message got muddled). Diseases can jump the species very easily due to the similarity (and not to mention the prohibition on eating carnivores, because you never know if they've eaten something a bit human). Back to the brush... the bristles are particularly good at picking up and absorbing the sebum at the root of your hair, because they are like your hair, and then transferring it down the hair shaft. A plastic bristle will not do this (so for that matter, I actually think there's no point in the purely nylon MP brushes). This makes a tremendous difference to someone who has oily roots and dry ends, and that's why these brushes are particularly good for long hair. Second point, there are a lot of bristles clustered together in the tufts, which means they pick up more hair. There are other brushes that can do this, but in my experience they would pull (out) or tangle the hair. Because these bristles are so soft, they don't do this. So more of the individual strands are being touched by bristles. This means that if you have the type of hair already described, you get a lot of lift at the root. Third, the brush closes the hair cuticle. Again this is because it's transferring more sebum to more individual strands. I know one of the selling points is the cushy base, but I think a lot of brushes have that nowadays so it doesn't seem that relevant to me on its own, but combined with the bristles it does add to the fact that the brush doesn't pull your hair because it's so flexible. I use mine every day and it makes a tremendous difference to the volume. What it doesn't help with is static. My hair becomes more static-y while I'm using the brush, but the act of brushing creates static and I haven't come across any brush or comb (even wooden ones) that help with this. It's just the way my hair is, and the best solution for that is leave-in products or spending more time in humid environments. As for the various size of brushes, it's kind of up to the size of your head and hands. I have the 'extra' size as my main brush, which is a size down from the largest. I'm not a big person and this one feels comfortable to me. The handle fits perfectly in my hand. I also have a child size one for my handbag because it's the same size as the pocket version and was less expensive. I very much use these for 'grooming the hair' and not for styling. I comb my hair after washing, I have a big paddle brush I use during blow drying. But I will use the small MP brush to tame my hair during the course of a day, and then I use the big one every night to just brush out my hair.

on 4/17/2014 4:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Before I purchased this product, I spent a lot of time researching it. There were so many overwhelming positive reviews that I had a slight suspicion that the company paid for these reviews (it's a bit cynical, but I'm sure it happens). Plus my local department store sold the largest bristle brush at over $300 a pop hence my skepticism.

I found an online store that sold the "handy" size brush (the largest size I could stomach considering the price tag) for nearly $100 off the retail price compared to brick and mortar stores and went through with the purchase. There was instant regret followed by hesitation whilst waiting for the delivery and hoping that it does what everyone says it does, ie the HG of hair brushes.

First impression
1. The bristles hurt a lot! I stopped using brushes ages ago but at least I remember the plastic ones didn't hurt. Moment of self doubt about the purchase ensues and worry that it will hurt just as much with every use.
2. The moment of "wow" didn't happen - it just brushed my hair... but I kept using it anyway considering the price of the brush.

Current impression (with over a weeks worth of use)
1. The bristles don't hurt as much - either the bristles softened or my scalp is now use to the feeling. The bristles does (as others say) provides a massage for the scalp, and I'm finding that rather than shying away from the brush, I enjoy the feeling of bristles on my scalp.
2. I have noticed that after brushing (on freshly washed dry hair), my hair is not as flat and even gives my hair a bit of style. My hair feels thicker and stays put longer. Back brushing even gives the effect of a blow wave. There's so much added volume, I couldn't believe that a brush did so much. I'm so impressed that I've made it an instant habit to give my hair a brush before going anywhere!
*However, I have noticed that the effects don't last long without hair product.
3. However, I am slightly disappointed with the brush on day old hair. I have genetically oily hair and have read so many reviews on how other people can last days without washing their hair after using this brush. Yes it does slightly help in making my day old hair look less oily but by the end of the day, it's at a point were I must wash it and no brush can help (even though I have brushed my hair throughout the day hoping it would work). Possibly the only pro is that this brush is good for styling after I use dry shampoo (compared to the comb).

Would I recommend it?
Maybe - if you can afford it with ease, sure why not. There's always satisfaction of owning the Royals Royce of brushes even if it doesn't live up to its hype. But currently I wouldn't say that I couldn't live without it (my Clarisonic - that I couldn't live without). So yes, if you have $200 to spare and it's between the MP or the Clarisonic, I would recommend the Clarisonic.

I really want to love this brush, so I will keep using it to see if there are any further improvements.Maybe my answer will change with further use, since it has already.

on 3/25/2014 5:10:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Okay so I took like 30mins to type a super long detailed review about this but when I submitted the review there was an error. I am soooo annoyed but because of the splendid experience I have with my dear MP, I am retyping the review just so that I can share with you how this brush changed my hair 180deg.

I never brush my hair. Like ever, because I have thick wavy hair and brushing just destroys the waves and leave my hair in a tangling mess. Probably like every other Singaporean or person who lives in hot tropical weather, I have to wash my hair everyday because of the oil buildup. Soon my hair became so dry, frizzy that every hairstylist I went to said I needed to do something about my hair. So then started the mission of buying expensive shampoos, conditioners, hair oils and treatments. I even attempted to go nopoo which by the end of the 2nd day, itches my scalp so mad and I have tons of drandruff (gross I know). Bad idea since I perspire so easilyyy.

Desperate, I did a long long long research online on how I can better improve my hair condition. FORTUNATELY I found MP... and forked out an SGD234 for the pure extra large BBB from StrawberryNet. (My fellow Singaporeans who want a reliable and cheap place to buy do check out this site)

MP transformed my hair from an unruly mess to silky shiny smoothness. I tell you the results are incredible even after just 4 days of brushing. Results are definitely quick if you ask me. The brush collects and distributes oil so efficiently that even my hair ends were smooth. I could go now without shampoo for 4days and yet not experience a single itch on my scalp. IT. IS. THAT. GOOD! Instead of applying oil 2 times a day now I only apply once every hair wash. The only time I had hair this fantastic was after doing a silky rebonding at a hair salon. I never EVER knew brushing could change my hair this way. If you want to see how good it is, view my profile pic!

Price tag is definitely on the heavy side, but it saves you money as well from all the cutting down on shampoo and oiling and, ladies, you should not be washing your hair every day unless your hair is super fine. If it does help you, I use baby powder for dry shampoo and comb it out religiously. It also gives you beautiful volumnous bed head hair if you apply it before you sleep.

So now for the downside....
The brush seems to collect alot of my hair.. Like probably 15 strands per 100strokes. I think it is because I am brushing it too much, which I should not, but also it may be because going nopoo meant shedding hair will collect on your head until something gets it out, like, a brush. I am not too worried about this since I have thick hair and sometimes wish it wasnt so thick...
Another thing is that the first use of the brush and I spot 2-3 bristles splitting into a Y shape. I heard that this is fine, as boar bristles are natural hair and definitely are prone to splitting as much as human hair does, though it should not split so quickly just from the first use. But I got a replacement from StrawberryNet so thats fine too. I did also heard that the splits may hurt your hair, and if this bothers you, you can clip it off easily with a nail clipper.

My Final Verdict: Buy the brush already!!! Pricey yes but better to do it the healthy, natural way then to dump tons of chemicals of hair care products on your hair. The brush lasts a lifetime, but I would not mind repurchasing if I lose or damage it.per.

Popular Hair Styling Tools