Mason Pearson Pure Bristle Brush

Mason Pearson Pure Bristle Brush

4.7

on 11/18/2016 11:37:00 AM

After reading and hearing about Mason Pearson brushes being the Cadillac of all brushes, I wanted to get one. It was very pricey, and kept searching online to for a good deal. Luckily found one store in the UK, they offered me a discount code. I purchased one Extra pure bristle bristle brush (which is the largest size) and a pocket size pure boar bristle brush for my handbag while traveling.

Packaging is so vintage and beautiful. This brush looks so luxe laying on my vanity, I love it.

The bristles are quite hard, which I love compared to cheap boar bristle brushes, which skimps through the hair instead of touching the scalp. I love the feel of this brush on my hair, scalp do get a thorough massage while brushing and it really feels good. I use it twice daily, once in the morning and once at night before retiring to bed.

This truly is a spectacular brush and a great investment. I am sure these two MP brushes would last me years and years with proper care.

on 9/2/2016 7:55:00 AM

I've been religiously following Makeupalley's top picks for more than a decade! I can't remember a top pick that I wasn't impressed with. I'm also slightly guilty I have written a review.

When I first learned about the brush, through a rather materialistic book call 100 things to buy before you die. I dismissed it. What is this brush magic? I can buy an IPad mini with that money and it can do loads of things.

Yet my curiosity was piqued, the more I read the more incredible it sounds. I came across a boar bristle brush from Sephora, so I just bought it to try since it's 10% of the price. It's alright, I didn't have a comparison then, but u used it a few times and left it alone.

I was scrolling through top picks and saw the mason Pearson hair brush, didn't occur to me to check Makeupalley's review for a hair brush. I finally decided to get it, though apprehensive.

Got it from Nordstrom, not wanting to risk getting an imitation. Packaging is very vintage, love that!! Like I'm buying a bit of history. I like to imagine that the packaging didn't change since early 1900s.

Now on to the real deal! I got mix nylon and boar bristles, I was surprised there were much less bristles then Sephora's dupe. Overall, it looks classy and well made, luxurious to hold. Unlike Sephora's dupe, it brushes easily through my hair and it doesn't scratch my scalp at all. It detangles hair really well too.

What impressed me most is after I use it. It seem to be able to dislodge all sorts of debris from my scalp that I never know existed! It makes me wonder what my shampoo actually do?

The dupe kinda does a little of that (not as effective as Mason) but instead of being deposited on the brush, the debris are left on the hair shaft.

Every time I use it, it feels like my hair AND scalp is thoroughly cleanse, in a gentle and therapeutic way. I have no idea how it is able to cleanse so well without scratching my scalp like the dupe, even though the dupe isn't even half as effectively.

It is easy to imagine how it can eventually keep your hair ans scalp healthier. I'm very impressed and is now convinced that this deserves it's status as something you need to try and own.

on 1/2/2016 12:10:00 AM

I purchased this brush in the handy size around 5 or 6 years ago while traveling in London. I had just read about a "$150" hairbrush in one of the beauty magazines and thought, "what insanity! ". (Even though as an older person I can easily afford the product.). I notice the price has gone up since. After trying this brush out at home, I thought I made a $450 mistake! (I bought one for me, and 2 as gifts). Yikes, it really hurt my scalp! I didn't touch it again for years, discouraged by my first attempts. Since you don't just throw away a brush that costs so much, I picked it up about a year ago and now I really enjoy the feeling of the bristles against my scalp. I don't know what happened if my scalp got tougher or what but I use it daily now and I really like it. Great, as none of us enjoy wasting money. Even though it is pricey, I can now recommend it wholeheartedly because it looks like it will last for years. I have fine shoulder length hair and this brush does a marvelous job of redistributing the scalp oils. Don't overdo it, however, about 10-15 brush strokes is adequate.

on 10/26/2015 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Worth every penny. The brush will last you a lifetime. The bristles intensely massage your scalp and smooth out your hair like no other. I purchased mine 20 years ago and I still have the same one (I wash it regularly).

I know this isn't a website for dog items but have to give a plug for the 4 legged furry babies. I loved how the brush felt so much against my scalp and how it made my hair so smooth and glossy, I purchased a separate one for my dogs. They lay there so contentedly (they give me a look or sign when I stop) and I can see their fur looking so much glossier and smoother that no other brush has ever achieved after just a few minutes.

on 9/23/2015 7:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was intrigued by all the reviews i've read about this brush. However i was tossing up for months to buy it because i couldnt justify the price. The chemist near my house sold it 20% cheaper than the normal retail price, so i finally caved in & bought the handy size in classic black. I have to say i'm still not used to how scratchy the boar bristles can feel on my scalp. I've been using it daily for over 2 weeks now and so far so good. I feel my scalp is healthier, no more itch on the next day after i wash my hair. My ends feel moisturised. I notice less hair fall when i wash my hair in the shower. I have also stopped using any styling product completely. Because brushing my hair regularly gives it a nice defined shape, that i can only achieve with the help of styling product previously. Really love this brush. Overall i'm really happy with it.

on 8/15/2015 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This brush was a gift to myself for my birthday. I am very pleased with the quality of this brush I have had it for about 9 months now, and with weekly dry cleaning it looks brand new. I have used boar bristle only brush for several years now. This brush has the longest length of boar bristles compared to all my prior brushes. I find it easily reaches my scalp for "massage" benefits. Handle shape and length are perfect. I am surprised how light weight this brush is compared to other similar brushes. It's a lot of money to spend on a brush, but it's a great investment for those with long straight fine hair. I use it every night after I detangle my hair. Works great to smooth fly-aways or stray hair in up do. I'd repurchase if I lost my current brush (but hope it doesn't happen, due to the price)

on 6/12/2015 9:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I got my Mason Pearson Bristle & Nylon brush from Barneys NY over a year ago and I've been using it on clean and freshly washed scalp everyday ever since. I also use it to style, and tame backcombed hair, the nylon part of the brush is perfect for detangling without pulling hair out.
I love using my MP before i sleep because it gives the scalp such a good massage and distributes essential hair oils evenly and effectively, especially if you flip your head over and brush from the nape to the tip of your hair.
I have fine and wavy full bodied hair that becomes quite poofy from static right after using the brush. But after an hour or so, it settles into a nice shape with volume.
Overall, a healthier and fuller crown after a year of continuous use!

I had to think long and hard about this brush before I bought it. It is a lot of money to spend on a hair brush and I read review after review after review before I finally decided to get one. I bought the smaller size because for me it is easier to use a smaller brush. This really is a spectacular brush. I brush my hair every night with this and feel it gives me a great scalp massage and has made my hair look healthier with continued use. Would any boar bristle brush do that? I don't know. I just know that it has improved the condition of my hair and I am glad I have it.

My boyfriend spent a couple of weeks in London last year, and he brought this back as a surprise for me, so maybe I'm biased but this brush is one of my most treasured posessions.

Obviously it's an expensive hairbrush. Perhaps cheaper pure bristle brushes could do the exact same job. I haven't tried them all, so I don't know. What I do know, is that looking at my Mason Pearson (I've got the extra large size) laying on my dressing table makes me very happy. It's luxury. It's heirloom quality. It does a beautiful job brushing my hair. After my first few days with it, people were asking me ALL the time about what I had done to my hair. Most were incredulous when I put it all down to a new hairbrush. It feels fantastic on my scalp too.

If I am lucky enough to have a daughter one day, she will be receiving a MP for her first birthday!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'm writing this review because I had a conversation with someone recently who had heard of MP brushes but had never tried one. She complained that when researching info on the internet, lots of people rave about them but don't explain how they work... what makes them worth the price tag. So here is my stab at that. Boar's bristles are like human hair, in the same way that you can put a pig's heart in a human and ballistics experts fire bullets into sides of pork. We have something oddly in common with the piggie, which is why in my inexpert opinion they are considered forbidden to eat by 2/3rd of monotheism (and probably were by the other third before the message got muddled). Diseases can jump the species very easily due to the similarity (and not to mention the prohibition on eating carnivores, because you never know if they've eaten something a bit human). Back to the brush... the bristles are particularly good at picking up and absorbing the sebum at the root of your hair, because they are like your hair, and then transferring it down the hair shaft. A plastic bristle will not do this (so for that matter, I actually think there's no point in the purely nylon MP brushes). This makes a tremendous difference to someone who has oily roots and dry ends, and that's why these brushes are particularly good for long hair. Second point, there are a lot of bristles clustered together in the tufts, which means they pick up more hair. There are other brushes that can do this, but in my experience they would pull (out) or tangle the hair. Because these bristles are so soft, they don't do this. So more of the individual strands are being touched by bristles. This means that if you have the type of hair already described, you get a lot of lift at the root. Third, the brush closes the hair cuticle. Again this is because it's transferring more sebum to more individual strands. I know one of the selling points is the cushy base, but I think a lot of brushes have that nowadays so it doesn't seem that relevant to me on its own, but combined with the bristles it does add to the fact that the brush doesn't pull your hair because it's so flexible. I use mine every day and it makes a tremendous difference to the volume. What it doesn't help with is static. My hair becomes more static-y while I'm using the brush, but the act of brushing creates static and I haven't come across any brush or comb (even wooden ones) that help with this. It's just the way my hair is, and the best solution for that is leave-in products or spending more time in humid environments. As for the various size of brushes, it's kind of up to the size of your head and hands. I have the 'extra' size as my main brush, which is a size down from the largest. I'm not a big person and this one feels comfortable to me. The handle fits perfectly in my hand. I also have a child size one for my handbag because it's the same size as the pocket version and was less expensive. I very much use these for 'grooming the hair' and not for styling. I comb my hair after washing, I have a big paddle brush I use during blow drying. But I will use the small MP brush to tame my hair during the course of a day, and then I use the big one every night to just brush out my hair.

Popular Hair Styling Tools