Dior Miss Dior

Filtered by skin tone : Medium

4.3

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

I just bought my first flacon today of MISS DIOR ORIGINALE, in the EDT, which is, as you probably know, a current version of the original 1947 formula. By now there are so many flankers that one has to very carefully specify the !!OH-REE-ZHEE-NAHL!! if one wants the 1947 formula, then of course most modern department store SA's have no idea that there had once been a Postwar New Look flavor of it. All they know is the cute cherry-vanilla-pomegranate version that Natalie Portman moues over.

By happenstance, I do indeed have a tiny decant here also of some real vintage EDT from the 1960's. Yes, the two are different, and I cannot tell if it is because the 1960's EDT has turned slightly, but the basic idea is the same: an impeccable, oldschool French green/floral/chypre. The vintage decant I have here is really strong on the herbality.. specifically a kitchen-y herbality in the drydown, that reminds one pleasantly of Mommy things like fines-herbes and poultry seasoning. The old version starts out vampy... then ends up not as bordello broad but as June Cleaver. I actually suspect the noses, Jean "Tabu" Carles and Paul "Arpege" Vacher, intended to make the drydown reassuringly domestic: a woman of Midcentury was to wear New Look to church, then come home and fix hubs some din-dins.

The current ORIGINALE EDT sails in on nose-prickling needles of stimulating aldehydes, galbanum and perhaps an astringent lemon-zest note, a head even more Cruella-de-Vil vicious than BANDIT's; as that gauzy veil subsides, one gets an astonishing savory "protein" note; where DIORELLA merely hints at Tania Sanchez's Vietnamese Beef Salad, MISS DIOR offers you the whole charcuterie. I am tempted to say that this "protein" note is derived from a confluence of Russian birchtar, with its let's-have-shashlik note, and quite possibly some iris, heliotrope, turmeric and cumin? All the while, the lemony brilliance of the head peers over the New York strips.

The floralcy unfolds, all tart jasmine, creamy gardenia and narcotic, lowing tuberose, with a curious hint of dusty narcissus, with a salon-filling eclat that gives ALIEN and FRACAS a run for their money. Notes of cedar, sandalwood, patchouly, oakmoss and tonka arrive at the vernal picnic, with their promise of a chypre scaffold. The tonka note sings its little cherry-almond-tobacco alto through the dense, saged, all-but-opaque flowers. (Interestingly, I never get the "naughty knickers" note that many have claimed for MISS D.)

In time, the most handsome, tweeded woman arrives in blonde Hitchcockian chignon, and an unexpected, winsome neroli kisses her glacial hand. And there we have the majesty of the scent, the 1950's "Ice Princess" in white gloves and a tightly woven, somewhat heavy and rigid, but immaculately suave and tailored Dior New Look suit, with patent leather spectator heels.

In farthest drydown the narcotic flowers and the poultry seasoning get married, yielding a fascinating, buoyantly luminous tart/savory accord that is like nothing like anything a modern Carly Rae Jepsen/Bieber fangirl would ever dream of wearing.

The ghost that lingers on your skin many hours later, is that note I so well remember from my childhood: my father's secretary-- surely the model for Joan Holloway, with her bursting poitrine, ample bottom, bakelite bangles and mile-high Titian beehive-- was named Dolores... "Dolly" to 5-year-old me, who would sit on her lap, bury his face in her decolletage, and sing "Hel-lo, Dolly, well hel-LO...." She always gave off the most curious, savory dough like smell... not sweet like L'HEURE BLEUE's Christmas Pannetone, but very very much like....... flour tortillas, fresh from the comal.

That intriguing, unmistakeably oldschool flour-tortilla note enchanted me then on Dolly's white, powdered throat... and it enchants me, nostalgically, now.

This EDT is very strong, sharp and dominating; really, two spritzes is enough... Otherwise she will wear YOU.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This perfume is a treat. Intricate and enchanting it draws you in and as the hours pass it just melts into your skin and changes subtly with your chemistry. Its expensive there is no way around it but 2 squirts go a long way. I plan on buying this for years to come. It smells so amazing.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is for the vintage, a sample from a very generous MUAer who is to kind to share. Ohhhhhh, my mom gave me this as a teen. All the girls were wearing Chantilly or something vanilla and cheap and she insisted I wear the fragrance for a young LADY.
This begins sharp and one cringes and shakes her head, oH, what happened to my scent! Then it begins to change and change and change. Warm, lady like, but with a kick. Yep! Mom was right, even at my old age of 68, still like it. Why did I not keep some of it? LOL, a question we 'fumistas are continually asking ourselves. LOL

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Don’t be put off by the very green & aldehydic opening, because the drydown is PURE HEAVEN. When that oh-so-gorgeous, soft, creamy, powdery & leathery cloud hits your nose some 15-20 minutes later, it suddenly becomes clear to you why this iconic chypre has withstood the test of time. FYI, I've never been a fan of chypres before this (always preferring richer, heavier orientals), but I have Miss Dior to thank for making me a convert (& for introducing me to the wonderful world of classic scents) -- I'm just sooo hopelessly in love with it & definitely see myself buying a full size bottle once I've used up my 5ml EDT. Beautiful, classy, elegant, demure, polished, regal... this, to me, is Grace Kelly in a bottle.

EDIT (9/14/09):

Forgot to mention that the EDT I’m reviewing is from circa ‘96/’97. I'm absolutely devastated & furious to learn that Miss Dior was reformulated (yet again!) last year (or was it 2 years ago?) to comply with the recent preposterous EU restriction on the use of oakmoss in perfumery, resulting in our grand dame now having been mercilessly stripped of all the beauty that made her a beloved icon & bestseller for over 60 years (& deservedly so). The once elegant & distinctive lady is said to have now been reduced to a GENERIC (gasp!), withered ghost of her former glorious self, butchered beyond all recognition (*weeps*). To read more about this latest tragic casualty in the classic chypre kingdom, go to this link: http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/love-and-death-of-miss-dior.html. In the meantime, I'll be holding on to my precious 12-year-old miniature & treating it like liquid gold until the day comes (soon, I hope!) when I will finally have the $$$ to horde all the vintage bottles I can find on eBay. Pray to God there will still be plenty of ‘em floating around online then, because the very thought of having to say “au revoir” forever to my newly found love is just TOO damn depressing! WHY OH WHY didn't I discover Miss Dior much, much earlier in my life??!!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I would describe Miss Cherie as an aldehydic chypre. Classy scent that's sophisticated, sweet, and warm. Great sillage and lasting power. I wouldn't want to wear this scent everyday but for certain occasions (business meetings, formal affairs) Miss Cherie would be perfect. I'll most likely want to purchase a full bottle for myself but before doing so, do a close comparison with some other chypres as well as Chanel No. 5.
Edit: drydown was very powdery so I'm not sure if I will purchase after all.

This is a beautiful classic chypre fragrance - an older Dior created in 1947 . And of course it's still produced - those who think it is discontinued! It's not boring but a multi layered interesting scent - a floral green chypre with some powdery aspects and a sexy moss base. This was a debutante scent and noteworthy for anyone invested in the classc chypre genre. The packaging has been changed from the classic black and white houndstooth but I hope the formulation is untouched. I love this a lot. Although it's an EDT , it's strong,fresh smelling and it lasts. i do love the new packaging .

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

This scent was not me at all. It starts off with a sharp green note with, I think, bergamot at the forefront. From then on Miss Dior is mainly herby/aromatic on me - the clary sage is the predominant note for a long time, joined eventually by orris root. I don't get any jasmine or rose, or any other floral. This scent to me is extremely fresh and dry - arrid almost; it is a mossy chypre and I can detect the oak moss at the finish, but to me it is not a feminine fragrance. I don't dislike it, but I certainly don't like it enough to wear again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Love this perfume, makes me unique. I feel confident everytime i wear it. I cant describe the notes as i'm totally ignorant about these thing but i smell fresh, musky and mysterious. However it's quite hard to find. I'm lucky to have a very cute big bottle.

Popular Fragrances