Dior Miss Dior

Filtered by hair type : Straight

3.8

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

I just bought my first flacon today of MISS DIOR ORIGINALE, in the EDT, which is, as you probably know, a current version of the original 1947 formula. By now there are so many flankers that one has to very carefully specify the !!OH-REE-ZHEE-NAHL!! if one wants the 1947 formula, then of course most modern department store SA's have no idea that there had once been a Postwar New Look flavor of it. All they know is the cute cherry-vanilla-pomegranate version that Natalie Portman moues over.

By happenstance, I do indeed have a tiny decant here also of some real vintage EDT from the 1960's. Yes, the two are different, and I cannot tell if it is because the 1960's EDT has turned slightly, but the basic idea is the same: an impeccable, oldschool French green/floral/chypre. The vintage decant I have here is really strong on the herbality.. specifically a kitchen-y herbality in the drydown, that reminds one pleasantly of Mommy things like fines-herbes and poultry seasoning. The old version starts out vampy... then ends up not as bordello broad but as June Cleaver. I actually suspect the noses, Jean "Tabu" Carles and Paul "Arpege" Vacher, intended to make the drydown reassuringly domestic: a woman of Midcentury was to wear New Look to church, then come home and fix hubs some din-dins.

The current ORIGINALE EDT sails in on nose-prickling needles of stimulating aldehydes, galbanum and perhaps an astringent lemon-zest note, a head even more Cruella-de-Vil vicious than BANDIT's; as that gauzy veil subsides, one gets an astonishing savory "protein" note; where DIORELLA merely hints at Tania Sanchez's Vietnamese Beef Salad, MISS DIOR offers you the whole charcuterie. I am tempted to say that this "protein" note is derived from a confluence of Russian birchtar, with its let's-have-shashlik note, and quite possibly some iris, heliotrope, turmeric and cumin? All the while, the lemony brilliance of the head peers over the New York strips.

The floralcy unfolds, all tart jasmine, creamy gardenia and narcotic, lowing tuberose, with a curious hint of dusty narcissus, with a salon-filling eclat that gives ALIEN and FRACAS a run for their money. Notes of cedar, sandalwood, patchouly, oakmoss and tonka arrive at the vernal picnic, with their promise of a chypre scaffold. The tonka note sings its little cherry-almond-tobacco alto through the dense, saged, all-but-opaque flowers. (Interestingly, I never get the "naughty knickers" note that many have claimed for MISS D.)

In time, the most handsome, tweeded woman arrives in blonde Hitchcockian chignon, and an unexpected, winsome neroli kisses her glacial hand. And there we have the majesty of the scent, the 1950's "Ice Princess" in white gloves and a tightly woven, somewhat heavy and rigid, but immaculately suave and tailored Dior New Look suit, with patent leather spectator heels.

In farthest drydown the narcotic flowers and the poultry seasoning get married, yielding a fascinating, buoyantly luminous tart/savory accord that is like nothing like anything a modern Carly Rae Jepsen/Bieber fangirl would ever dream of wearing.

The ghost that lingers on your skin many hours later, is that note I so well remember from my childhood: my father's secretary-- surely the model for Joan Holloway, with her bursting poitrine, ample bottom, bakelite bangles and mile-high Titian beehive-- was named Dolores... "Dolly" to 5-year-old me, who would sit on her lap, bury his face in her decolletage, and sing "Hel-lo, Dolly, well hel-LO...." She always gave off the most curious, savory dough like smell... not sweet like L'HEURE BLEUE's Christmas Pannetone, but very very much like....... flour tortillas, fresh from the comal.

That intriguing, unmistakeably oldschool flour-tortilla note enchanted me then on Dolly's white, powdered throat... and it enchants me, nostalgically, now.

This EDT is very strong, sharp and dominating; really, two spritzes is enough... Otherwise she will wear YOU.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I am not sure where this review should go : the closest modern rendition I believe is now called miss dior original.

This review is for the original Miss Dior vintage eau de cologne houndstooth bottle splash formulation with the houndstooth cap, not the white one. It's an animal floral leather chypre. An acquired taste if you are formerly only familiar with modern chypre.

Bergamot, neroli, Galbanum, clary sage, gardenia
Aldehydes, rose, jasmine, ylang, orris, carnation, LOTV, narcissus/daffodil
Oakmoss, sandalwood, vanilla, laudanum, leather, amber, patchouli, vetiver

I listed the notes in comparison to Vol de Nuit composition, see my avon bird of paradise vintage review.

There is a spray bottle from the 1980s that is clear and fluted and has a metal cap. Sometimes the sprays are spoiled on the top notes, so I prefer splash.

Compared to vintage azuree and aliage, miss dior is subtle and melds into my skin. But it can only be called subtle relative to those two powerhouses.

It is also extremely animalic, so I find it almost funny that this scent was originally geared towards a debutante demographic and that, despite a resurgence of interest in Piguets Bandit, that people still characterize this type of fragrance as old lady.

To me, it's aggressive, modern, original and could be easily mistaken for a niche brand. In fact, when I tried roja doves Fetish, a few weeks ago, I was reminded of old school chypre like Azuree or miss Dior.

I would want to give this 3.5 if that rating were available. 3 because I don't see myself wearing this often. If your bottle is overtly fusty, musty, dank, or dark in color, consider whether it may have spoiled or oxidized with exposure to light or heat.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a lovely scent but I don't think it's my favorite or the most interesting one out there. Like a lot of other people have already said, it's a young but classy scent. It's a mix of citris and (more faintly) flowers, so it smells more light and refreshing than it does sweet or sugary. It's quite strong (1-2 spritz is more than enough!) and lasts for the majority of the day when I spray it into my hair and around my neck area.

The packaging is SUPER cute, it's a clear, square spritz bottle with a glass bow on top. This leans on the pricier side, but it IS Dior so that's not surprising.

NOTE: I think the dry down tends to lean powdery on me, so I don't think it's the best scent for my particular body chemistry. You may have a different experience.

This review is for the new Miss Dior eau de parfum, i think it was released in 2012.

I think this perfume smells really lovely. It smells sweet and elegant. Natalie Portman is a really good spokesperson for this perfume, because when u smell Miss Dior EDP, u imagine someone like her, a young lady in her 20s/early 30s, who's beautiful in a classy womanly way, not in a teenybopper way and not in a femme fatale way. Doesn't that sound just like Natalie? :)

It's definitely one of my favourite scents, and my bf really likes it too. (Somehow we have similar tastes, fortunately!) I don't get why some people go on and on about how Miss Dior Cherie (the older version) is so much better, i think they're biased because they tried and loved Miss Dior Cherie first. I slightly prefer Miss Dior Cherie, because I'm very girly and like very sweet scents. But they're on the same high level. If I gave MDC a 9, i'd give Miss Dior EDP an 8.5. They both smell gorgeous.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I own the original vintage glass bottle of this Miss Dior pure perfume. I got this when I was 19 when I flew from England back home to Hong Kong by British Airways. At 19 back then (I am now 45), I already knew that it is precious to pick up this perfume while I could get it duty free on the plane. I got this perfume at 15ml (very concentrate) together with a 30ml Eau De Gucci bottle, which is also now became a rare vintage.

Both perfumes stood the test of time. Even now, they are still in great condition and the scents stayed put all these years (I stored them well), also due to their potency.

I love Miss Dior, it smells a little strong for the first 2 minutes during wearing. In a few moments, the warmth of our skin transforms it into a classy, warm, smooth and comforting scent and stay for the rest of the day. It works with a lot of women's body chemistry. A few dabs are all I need - It last me ALL THESE YEARS! I only wear this on very special occasions throughout these years. I would say this is not for too suitable to wear on a hot humid summer day, more for fall to winter, or early spring kind of perfume.

I went to Sephora to check out their recent version of Miss Dior perfume - bottle looks the same - but the smell is more dilute & sweet, not the same like the original vintage version....too bad! I would definitely buy it again if the scent improves more like its original.

This review is for the *new* Miss Dior that is part Miss Dior Cherie now. The first time I smelled Miss Dior I smelled the Eau Fraiche version and I hated it. It smelled very...old lady ish. Once I smelled the Eau de Parfum I fell in love. It does NOT smell old lady ish, instead it reminds me a bit of Black Amethyst from BBW, but also a bit Chanel like. Grown up, but not "mature". It makes me feel fancy. I know that sounds silly, but it makes me feel so grown up =) I bought the 1oz bottle for $70 which is pricey, but seeing as I already used up 1/4 in the last few weeks I see it was well worth it! I'm not a huge fan of the weird bow cap, but I will gladly put up with it. It smells lovely and I recommend that everyone go and try this new version of Miss Dior!

I used to wear the original Miss Dior approximately 30 years ago and I loved it. Purchased some recently and it is definitely not quite the same, wouldn't buy again. And don't get me started on the horrid "Cherie" version which is sickeningly sweet.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I find this very bland and suitable for young girls rather than women. I do like it still, it is very easy to wear and is probably unlikely to disturb anyone at all. However it seems too similar to other stuff that is popular now. It is light and sweet and flowery and it does not have much character. However I like it because it makes an excellent "sleeping fragrance". I wear it to bed and Ill sleep well. If I try to sleep with something like Anais Anais or Red Door. no can do, because these fragrances are so full of character that they simply make me restless while Miss Dior is soothing and comforting with it non offensive notes. However, I possibly would not wear it on daytime, because it would put me right to sleep.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is for the vintage, a sample from a very generous MUAer who is to kind to share. Ohhhhhh, my mom gave me this as a teen. All the girls were wearing Chantilly or something vanilla and cheap and she insisted I wear the fragrance for a young LADY.
This begins sharp and one cringes and shakes her head, oH, what happened to my scent! Then it begins to change and change and change. Warm, lady like, but with a kick. Yep! Mom was right, even at my old age of 68, still like it. Why did I not keep some of it? LOL, a question we 'fumistas are continually asking ourselves. LOL

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I would describe Miss Cherie as an aldehydic chypre. Classy scent that's sophisticated, sweet, and warm. Great sillage and lasting power. I wouldn't want to wear this scent everyday but for certain occasions (business meetings, formal affairs) Miss Cherie would be perfect. I'll most likely want to purchase a full bottle for myself but before doing so, do a close comparison with some other chypres as well as Chanel No. 5.
Edit: drydown was very powdery so I'm not sure if I will purchase after all.

Popular Fragrances