Dior Miss Dior

Filtered by hair type : Other

3.8

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I love vintage perfumes, especially chypres and leathers. I have far too large a collection, but there was a Miss Dior-shaped hole in it. I'm a little surprised at myself that it took so long to get it, as much as I love Cabochard, Y, Azuree, Givenchy III...you get the picture.
This absence dates back to around 2000, when I first seriously started collecting and wearing vintages. I tried a huge spray of Miss Dior (before there were any Cheries or other flankers - this was IT) and recoiled. It was far too much of everything that my poor ignorant nose knew nothing of: oakmoss, bergamot, leather, powder-florals, patchouli - what can seem dated, and at the time that is the only aspect I saw of Miss Dior.
Last week I tried the current version, just to see - now called Miss Dior Originale. Wow. Even in its current formulation, what I now got was beautiful spare sophistication - filling my imagination with a sense of absolute elegance. When you take the lens of time and fashion from these older scents and experience them on their own terms, they have so much to give.
I'm now the lucky owner of a stunning vintage Miss Dior edt from the 80s - a new favourite piece of art in my collection.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Such a pretty bottle, and the scent is light and sweet. However, it is a mature scent (do not confuse it with Cherie), and reminds me of Chanel Chance. I bought both at the same time and noticed how similar they were. Great to wear for any occasion and has good lasting power.

A naughty animalistic perfume hides beneath this prim and proper, ladylike, houndstooth and pencil skirt exterior. A green accord of galbanium and sage, I find carnation dominant in the heart with a lesser amount of powder/cotton, and a vetiver/sandalwood drydown. To borrow a quote from www.boisdejasmine who sums it up perfectly, "Miss Dior does not reveal her charms upon the first encounter, requiring a longer and patient acquaintance, especially for those who are used to the eager-to-please modern fragrances. The green pepper sharpness of galbanum is underpinned by a classical gardenia note, which is bright, dry and intriguingly metallic. These effervescent notes slowly melt into the floral heart of Miss Dior, and yet the animalic darkness is never far behind. Soon the chypre base that supports the refinement of floral notes takes center stage. The composition becomes veiled in duskiness, which is punctuated by the gilded warmth of patchouli. The woman who wears Miss Dior projects the most exquisite elegance paired with confidence and resolve of character—a truly alluring combination.

Like many classical fragrances, Miss Dior has not reached us in its original state. The changes to the formula led to the attenuated base and limpid floralcy, to the unbecoming pallor of its chypre accord and the disappointing softness of its top notes. To think that something so strong, so assertive and so distinctive was to be turned into a wallflower!

Christian Dior Miss Dior contains notes of gardenia, galbanum, bergamot, clary sage, jasmine, narcissus, neroli, rose, patchouli, oakmoss, labdanum, sandalwood. It is available from Saks5thAvenue, Neiman Marcus and other Dior retailer locations."

It goes without saying if you can find vintage, it will be superior to the modern version.

This is a beautiful classic chypre fragrance - an older Dior created in 1947 . And of course it's still produced - those who think it is discontinued! It's not boring but a multi layered interesting scent - a floral green chypre with some powdery aspects and a sexy moss base. This was a debutante scent and noteworthy for anyone invested in the classc chypre genre. The packaging has been changed from the classic black and white houndstooth but I hope the formulation is untouched. I love this a lot. Although it's an EDT , it's strong,fresh smelling and it lasts. i do love the new packaging .

Well, my string of admiration for Diors had to end sometime, I guess, and Miss Dior was the proverbial straw. On the other hand, maybe I am just not able to understand its charms. Anyways, to me, Miss Dior smelled very powdery, oakmossy and ***ahem*** “old-fashioned” (I believe that is the politically correct term nowadays). As far as comparisons go, it is very similar to Ma Griffe but not as pleasant/interesting as Ivoire. Good sillage.

I just love Miss Dior. But my boyfriend doesn't. Is anyone finding boys are not big fun of it?

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I had the good fortune of smelling the vintage Miss Dior from a very generous MUAer. Lucky me! It's a gorgeous leather chypre that really opens up to reveal a hot femme fatale, dashing about on some metropolic avenue; miticulously put together wearing a new buttery leather coat, dark sunglasses and fine french silk scarf blowing in the cool breeze. You get behind 'Miss Dior' in line (que) at the pharmacy-- you can smell gardenia (probably her bathsoap), the coat, and a very soft floral sprayed on her scarf. Very french and elegant! From what you see in her basket; she's just run out to pick up a last minute bottle of wine, birth control and candles. That coat hides what she's wearing underneath, but you manage to get a glimpse to reveal some fine french black lace underneath. A sexy dress or is it her lingerie? Oh my! This gal is packing heat for sure! If you are a guy you want to follow her home -- if you are a girl you might want to follow her home as well - she's that sexy! She's what most women want to be at some stage during their life -- sexy, mysterious and quite possibly down-right dangerous! Miss Dior should be worn during that time in a woman's life -- when she is/feels that sexy -- from 18 - 80! Elegant, timeless, sophisticatication with some danger thrown in for balance. This is how I wanted Bandit to be, yet unfortunately wasn't. Leather, lace and a little naughty... wear it the next time you want to be mysterious and heat things up a notch or two. A scent to enjoy in any season for those occasions where you want to make a statement of profound feminine desire and passion.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Very sharp and dusty on me. Too dry, too edged. There was no elegance or sophistication here, just a spoiled woman yelling to have her own way. Not for me.

How I love Miss Dior! This is a classic worth revisiting. There just aren't any other fragrances like this on the market today. It's an interesting mix of soft woods, florals and chypre notes. Imagine what you'd get if you crossed YSL Y with Guerlain Vol de Nuit...that's Miss Dior. It's a chypre, but not as "green" as most. Notes include gardenia, galbanum, bergamot, clary sage, jasmine, narcissus, neroli, rose, patchouli, oakmoss, labdanum and sandalwood. It's not as floral as you'd expect for a scent named "Miss Dior" (which to me sounds a bit prissy). When I smell this I think of dried leaves, autumn air and herb shops. This fragrance was a stunner when it was introduced in 1947, and it still smells fresh and unique. A perfect scent for those days when you can't decide which fragrance to spritz on; this one fits well into any occasion and is easy to wear.