Dior Miss Dior

Filtered by skin type : Very Oily

4.5

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Don’t be put off by the very green & aldehydic opening, because the drydown is PURE HEAVEN. When that oh-so-gorgeous, soft, creamy, powdery & leathery cloud hits your nose some 15-20 minutes later, it suddenly becomes clear to you why this iconic chypre has withstood the test of time. FYI, I've never been a fan of chypres before this (always preferring richer, heavier orientals), but I have Miss Dior to thank for making me a convert (& for introducing me to the wonderful world of classic scents) -- I'm just sooo hopelessly in love with it & definitely see myself buying a full size bottle once I've used up my 5ml EDT. Beautiful, classy, elegant, demure, polished, regal... this, to me, is Grace Kelly in a bottle.

EDIT (9/14/09):

Forgot to mention that the EDT I’m reviewing is from circa ‘96/’97. I'm absolutely devastated & furious to learn that Miss Dior was reformulated (yet again!) last year (or was it 2 years ago?) to comply with the recent preposterous EU restriction on the use of oakmoss in perfumery, resulting in our grand dame now having been mercilessly stripped of all the beauty that made her a beloved icon & bestseller for over 60 years (& deservedly so). The once elegant & distinctive lady is said to have now been reduced to a GENERIC (gasp!), withered ghost of her former glorious self, butchered beyond all recognition (*weeps*). To read more about this latest tragic casualty in the classic chypre kingdom, go to this link: http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/love-and-death-of-miss-dior.html. In the meantime, I'll be holding on to my precious 12-year-old miniature & treating it like liquid gold until the day comes (soon, I hope!) when I will finally have the $$$ to horde all the vintage bottles I can find on eBay. Pray to God there will still be plenty of ‘em floating around online then, because the very thought of having to say “au revoir” forever to my newly found love is just TOO damn depressing! WHY OH WHY didn't I discover Miss Dior much, much earlier in my life??!!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'd heard about this fragrance in connection with the history of fashion--the scent that accompanied Dior's New Look in 1947. These accounts always call it a floral, exemplifying the return to luxury and femininity. So, when I received a bundle of chypres in a swap (and what a wonderful swap it was!), I was surprised to see this EDT included, and to find out it's actually a green floral chypre.

Anything that begins with galbanum and ends with oakmoss is alright by me. The floral character is most pronounced in the middle of its run. I liked it even better as it dried down and got mossier. At this point, it has an almost powdery--but not at all musty--quality as well, reminiscent of Chanel 19 with its light touch of leather. The overall effect is still sweet, but not cloying. A dainty chypre.