Dior Miss Dior

3.9

Miss Dior is exceptional; it's very much a classic, with a cool leather chypre composition that ties it to another time, but it's also extremely contemporary, and can be worn easily and well by a young woman. I've noticed that many chypres and leather fragrances share this ageless quality - Gres Cabochard, Chanel's Cuir de Russie, and Tabac Blond have all been around for quite a while, but they also share a certain aura of strength, intelligence and poise, which prevents them from ever seeming "dated." In fact, I'd classify Miss Dior as Cabochard's demure, dressed-up sister. It opens with slightly sharp green top notes, predominated by sage; I like this part quite a bit, but can see why it's off-putting to those who don't like sharp angles in their fragrance. However, it quickly opens up into a lush, faintly powdery bouquet of gardenias over a mossy leather base. This phase of the perfume's evolution should please anyone with a nose on their face; it's a perfect balance of delicate femininity and elegant restraint, and it really does seem to echo the perfect (never equaled, in my opinion) "New Look" of Dior's first collection. I've had the opportunity to wear both reformulated and vintage Miss Dior, and I will admit that the vintage is better; the leather (my favorite note) is deeper and more noticeable, and there is an animal darkness in the mix that I really do love. The new Miss Dior is thinner, fresher, and a bit sharper, but it's still very lovely.

As for the "old lady" comments - well, skin chemistry is a mysterious thing, but in my experience, these comments are completely unfounded. I'm twenty-four, and Miss Dior is the only fragrance that my boyfriend has spontaneously described as "sexy." If you understand the appeal of vintage '40s fashion, or if you know why Lauren Bacall and Bette Davis are so much hotter than Jennifer Aniston and Lindsay Lohan, then you probably "get" Miss Dior. If you need to smell like strawberry snow-cone syrup to feel attractive, well, good luck to you - God knows that there are a lot of scents targeted for people with your tastes.

Wearing the new EDT and how I do love Miss Dior. With notes of bergamot, aldehydes, clary sage, gardenia, galbanum, rose, jasmine, lily of the valley, carnation, orris, patchouli, oakmoss, amber, vetiver, sandalwood, and leather, Miss Dior goes on with a fervent blast of hardy flower buds and their green, spicy stems and leaves. Within minutes, a cool, dry sage and white, abstract powderiness start to lift the fragrance into the realm of the starched, pale green tulle of couture petticotes.

The powderiness has nothing whatsoever to do with the sweet, pink smell of baby powder - such is the magic of aldehydes: this is the cloud of white pollen and fresh green vapor that lifts from the lilies of the valley on the floor of the enchanted forest of Midsummer Night's Dream in all its staid, English romanticism.

But it's also the abstract, structured and chic fragrance of impeccably groomed Parisian ladies of the era that Miss Dior was born in - just after WWII ended and some small amount of everyday luxury could be had again - with a breath of dry ballet shoe leather tossed in for good measure. It's a perfectly feminine fragrance that rests somewhere between regally aristocratic and playfully gamine. A deep and textural fragrance that's just addictively fascinating and refreshingly dry and green without ever going sharp or sour.

1) Wonderful for overcast days and congested sinuses.
2) Has a very specific mood, upper-crusty, cerebral and melancholic (from a time melancholy wasn't a shame to be obscured by pharmaceuticals).
3) Not for teenyboppers and girls who want to appear all clean, candylike and cheerful.
4) Haunting mix of moss, greens, patchouli and woods.
5) Strongly reminiscent of Guerlain's Vol de Nuit - but less floral and soft.
6) Use a light hand!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Don’t be put off by the very green & aldehydic opening, because the drydown is PURE HEAVEN. When that oh-so-gorgeous, soft, creamy, powdery & leathery cloud hits your nose some 15-20 minutes later, it suddenly becomes clear to you why this iconic chypre has withstood the test of time. FYI, I've never been a fan of chypres before this (always preferring richer, heavier orientals), but I have Miss Dior to thank for making me a convert (& for introducing me to the wonderful world of classic scents) -- I'm just sooo hopelessly in love with it & definitely see myself buying a full size bottle once I've used up my 5ml EDT. Beautiful, classy, elegant, demure, polished, regal... this, to me, is Grace Kelly in a bottle.

EDIT (9/14/09):

Forgot to mention that the EDT I’m reviewing is from circa ‘96/’97. I'm absolutely devastated & furious to learn that Miss Dior was reformulated (yet again!) last year (or was it 2 years ago?) to comply with the recent preposterous EU restriction on the use of oakmoss in perfumery, resulting in our grand dame now having been mercilessly stripped of all the beauty that made her a beloved icon & bestseller for over 60 years (& deservedly so). The once elegant & distinctive lady is said to have now been reduced to a GENERIC (gasp!), withered ghost of her former glorious self, butchered beyond all recognition (*weeps*). To read more about this latest tragic casualty in the classic chypre kingdom, go to this link: http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/love-and-death-of-miss-dior.html. In the meantime, I'll be holding on to my precious 12-year-old miniature & treating it like liquid gold until the day comes (soon, I hope!) when I will finally have the $$$ to horde all the vintage bottles I can find on eBay. Pray to God there will still be plenty of ‘em floating around online then, because the very thought of having to say “au revoir” forever to my newly found love is just TOO damn depressing! WHY OH WHY didn't I discover Miss Dior much, much earlier in my life??!!

OMG! Nothing else smells like this! Well, maybe lots of fragrances smell like this, but I had never smelled anything like this before. You see, I was born in 1981, so most of the fragrances I've smelled are either the lemony, watery, ozonic frags from the 90's, or the candy, bubble gum, fruit punch frags that are so popular right now. And no, I'm not a fan of neither, so this left me quite lost, perfume wise. I just ended a very long relationship, one that left me feeling so depressed I couldn't even leave the house, shower, get dressed or eat. But now, after some therapy, I'm feeling much better, I've discovered who I am as a woman, and I now know what I want from life. So, nothing fits the new me now. not my clothes, not my looks, not my frags. So, I decided to give myself a makeover, never given myself one. I want to look the way I feel, beautiful and powerful, like I can achieve anything I set my mind to. I'm buying new clothes, dying my hair a different color, and need a new frag. So, after reading reviews, I decided I wanted to try chypres. I had never tried one, but they sounded so fascinating. So, I tried Miss Dior (EdT) they didn't have the EdP in the counter. And...oh! I felt like Columbus when he first saw America. What is this frag, and why is it so interesting, so beautiful, so womanly? Why doesn't it smell like all the florals I own, you know, pretty, but meh. This frag hit me with it's initial sharpness, it felt so green, I thought, this is interesting! Then it morphed into this soft, creamy floral heart, but with a bit of it's original green colors. I though, this is beautiful! Oh, how am I ever gonna go back to my blah florals after this? Because I ain't got the cash now, and I still haven't done my Christmas shopping, so I will have to wait, maybe a month. Ohh...it's gonna be so long! I must find a way to get my hands on a bottle of this womanly elixir asap...I fear I could go mad without it!

Oh dear me! I have worn this for years and am now reviewing the newer version edt. I remember a breathaking chypre, sexy, mossy and warm. This is not only lacking in oakmoss as expected but also seems to have developed a harsh metallic edge. I will still buy as it has echoes of its former loveliness, but this once beautiful lady has had her face lifted too often and is now overtightened and harsh - sad.

A naughty animalistic perfume hides beneath this prim and proper, ladylike, houndstooth and pencil skirt exterior. A green accord of galbanium and sage, I find carnation dominant in the heart with a lesser amount of powder/cotton, and a vetiver/sandalwood drydown. To borrow a quote from www.boisdejasmine who sums it up perfectly, "Miss Dior does not reveal her charms upon the first encounter, requiring a longer and patient acquaintance, especially for those who are used to the eager-to-please modern fragrances. The green pepper sharpness of galbanum is underpinned by a classical gardenia note, which is bright, dry and intriguingly metallic. These effervescent notes slowly melt into the floral heart of Miss Dior, and yet the animalic darkness is never far behind. Soon the chypre base that supports the refinement of floral notes takes center stage. The composition becomes veiled in duskiness, which is punctuated by the gilded warmth of patchouli. The woman who wears Miss Dior projects the most exquisite elegance paired with confidence and resolve of character—a truly alluring combination.

Like many classical fragrances, Miss Dior has not reached us in its original state. The changes to the formula led to the attenuated base and limpid floralcy, to the unbecoming pallor of its chypre accord and the disappointing softness of its top notes. To think that something so strong, so assertive and so distinctive was to be turned into a wallflower!

Christian Dior Miss Dior contains notes of gardenia, galbanum, bergamot, clary sage, jasmine, narcissus, neroli, rose, patchouli, oakmoss, labdanum, sandalwood. It is available from Saks5thAvenue, Neiman Marcus and other Dior retailer locations."

It goes without saying if you can find vintage, it will be superior to the modern version.

This is a classic fragrance for the woman with class and elegance and yet, a woman who is approachable. It goes on with a bang of greens and florals and aldehydes, but the drydown IS TO DIE FOR :) I rue the day it is no longer available

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I had the good fortune of smelling the vintage Miss Dior from a very generous MUAer. Lucky me! It's a gorgeous leather chypre that really opens up to reveal a hot femme fatale, dashing about on some metropolic avenue; miticulously put together wearing a new buttery leather coat, dark sunglasses and fine french silk scarf blowing in the cool breeze. You get behind 'Miss Dior' in line (que) at the pharmacy-- you can smell gardenia (probably her bathsoap), the coat, and a very soft floral sprayed on her scarf. Very french and elegant! From what you see in her basket; she's just run out to pick up a last minute bottle of wine, birth control and candles. That coat hides what she's wearing underneath, but you manage to get a glimpse to reveal some fine french black lace underneath. A sexy dress or is it her lingerie? Oh my! This gal is packing heat for sure! If you are a guy you want to follow her home -- if you are a girl you might want to follow her home as well - she's that sexy! She's what most women want to be at some stage during their life -- sexy, mysterious and quite possibly down-right dangerous! Miss Dior should be worn during that time in a woman's life -- when she is/feels that sexy -- from 18 - 80! Elegant, timeless, sophisticatication with some danger thrown in for balance. This is how I wanted Bandit to be, yet unfortunately wasn't. Leather, lace and a little naughty... wear it the next time you want to be mysterious and heat things up a notch or two. A scent to enjoy in any season for those occasions where you want to make a statement of profound feminine desire and passion.

Feminine, female
Reserved (close, withdrawn, upstage)
Subtle bouquet
Hints of powder
French
60ies
London
Resinous (Galbanum and Labdanum)
Aromatic
Herb(al), dry, harsh, wild
Centered

Mysterious and bittersweet, like a deep well in an enchanted castle’s backyard…
Controlled, orderly, crisp (as Anya once commented on it). At first sight… after that layer an animal is hidden. A female one.
A beast inside the beauty.

Imagine creamy gardenias on a bed of moss, in shadowy but sun-peeking-through woods.

Official notes:
Top Notes: clary sage, gardenia, galbanum

Heart Notes: Rose, jasmine, neroli

Base Notes: Patchouli, oakmoss, labdanum.

(Vetiver, leather, aldehydes, iris, narcissus, carnation, lily of the valley, ambergris, sandalwood are also mentioned by some)

FINALLY! My Holy Grai!