Pond's Dry Skin Cream

Pond's Dry Skin Cream
Dry Skin CreamDry Skin CreamDry Skin Cream

3.7

Water , Mineral Oil , Isopropyl Palmitate , Petrolatum , Glycerin , Stearic Acid , Ceresin , Glyceryl Stearate , Cetyl Alcohol , Sorbitan Oleate , Candelilla Wax , Triethanolamine , Laureth-23 , Fragrance , Carbomer , Disodiium EDTA , DMDM Hydantoin , Methylparaben , Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought Pond's Dry Skin Cream (blue lid) because I am using a retinol cream and it was making my face dry and flaky. I needed a heavier moisturizer to put on top of it at night. Based on the good reviews here, I decided to give it a try.

I love this stuff! From the first time I used it, I haven't had any more flaking or peeling skin. I use it every night after my retinol cream and I'm very pleased with the results. It keeps my skin well hydrated and my skin looks great when I wake up in the morning. This is a very basic moisturizer so don't expect it to do anything other than to just moisturize your skin. However, it does that wonderfully. It does contain mineral oil but unfortunately, mineral oil has gotten a bad rap. If you google "mineral oil in cosmetics" you will learn that mineral oil is present is a large majority of cosmetics, lotions, creams etc. It is extremely safe, does not cause cancer, block pores or cause breakouts of any kind. Furthermore, it is NOT the same as putting motor oil on your face. It is highly refined and purified. It is non-comedogenic. There's even an article in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology stating the same thing. I just get so irritated when people spew ignorance. But I digress...

This is an excellent heavier-weight moisturizer. It may be too heavy for some but if you have dry skin, it will do an excellent job of moisturizing. I bought it on sale at Walgreens when it was BOGOF so I got one for my face and one for my body. My feet have never looked better and my face is smooth and soft. It is particularly good for winter use. I am very pleased with this cream and will continue to purchase it as it is very inexpensive and very effective.

on 7/17/2015 2:31:00 AM

Sometimes all you need is moisture. I cannot even begin to calculate the amount of money I've blown on skin care. All those miracle snake-oil claims... I can't even begin! I swear to god I pay Sephora's light bill at this point. Here's the thing: Wear sunscreen, exfoliate (either with acids or abrasion), *moisturize*, and wear hats and sunglasses. This cream is a no nonsense, effective, affordable cream that does as much for my skin as La Mer. Period.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Since I've started using heavy duty acne fighting products (Tazorac and PanOxyl)for my hormonal acne its been as dry as the Sahara desert. I was using Nivea but I didn't feel like ordering the German made one that I love and Im on a seriously restricted budget right now. So I picked this up at wal-mart for like $5 for a large tub and now I cna honestly understand why so many women swear by this cream. Im using it twice a day. In the morning I apply it fairly lightly since it is summer but heavier at night like a night cream. I have some dry patches around my mouth and it cleared it up overnight. It's amazing for eyes. Every eye cream I try irritates my eyes but this keeps them well moisturized and happy. One thing that I was surprised it did do is help fade some of my hyperpigmentation and red marks from a bad hormonal breakout. It has not clogged my pores or made me breakout at all. If anything, Im now breaking out far less with my current routine plus this moisturizer. I may not ever go back to Nivea since this cream is budget friendly and easy to find. I even went and got a travel size to keep in my purse as its also amazing for hands, feet and dry spots.

Even though I breakout at 42 from my hormones, my once oily skin is not really oily anymore. I learn more toward the sensitive, combo to dry breakout prone category. I stay far away from silicones if possible because I found that they clog my pores more than anything else. Happy to say this cream is completely cone free which is why some acne prones can still use this. Mineral oil is not bad for you. I see most of the negative nellies on mineral oil tend to be of the younger generation that read too many poorly researched articles in Glamour/cosmo etc. Mineral oil is very safe and has been proven to be a superior oil when it comes to moisture retention in the skin. It is non comedegenic. Makeup will make you breakout and get clogs far more than any mineral oil ever will. Its been used well over 100 years in creams for a reason. It works and it works well.

listen ....... i’m the kind of person who has truly tried everything. i struggle with so many skin issues that there’s never just one product that helps. i was about to purchase a $30 moisturizer i got a sample for and decided to try, but the same day i went to my local drug store first and for some reason decided to pick up a $5 jar of ponds dry skin cream. i’ve never used it before and generally stray away from cheap products since my skin is sensitive and cheap products usually irritate the eczema on and around my eyes and makes me break out even more, but i tried this stuff anyways. the first day i used it, i literally wished i could just keep putting more and more on because it feels so GOOD! it’s not greasy or heavy or really much of anything, it’s a very light creamy texture that just feels soothing on your skin. it felt sensitive enough to even use around my eyes, and it didn’t even sting like almost every other moisturizer does! so first night and i’m already amazed. within days my eczema was almost completely cleared up, my skin felt balanced, and for the first time in a long time, my skin felt NORMAL. i love this stuff so much, i will never use another moisturizer again. it’s perfect.

on 9/9/2011 9:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

If you're reading through these reviews thinking about whether or not to buy it, DO IT! A jar costs almost nothing & you'll definitely find a use for it. Although it might not be suited for oilier types, it's main ingredients are water and mineral oil, but it IS called Dry Skin Cream after all.

Pond's products are classics, and they have lasted for a reason, so try them out if you can because many people (like me) swear by them.

I started using DSC as an all day moisturiser. A small dollop is often all you need and it gives a dewy, slightly shiny finish all day with a pleasant fragrance. I still use it as that sometimes in Winter or if I'm going to the shops (I need SPF which it doesn't have & now I use heavier makeup instead of just a moisturiser).

What it's perfect for now is use as a night cream. I wipe off makeup with Pond's Cold Cream (HG makeup remover), tone with TN Dickinson's Witch Hazel and then smooth this over my face.

Whenever and however I use this my skin feels so soft and my thirsty dry skin feels seriously hydrated.

Some might not like the heavy consistency or smell (which I quite like), but give it a try. It was here before all of those newfangled moisturising serums, milks and waters, and it will be here long after them.

on 7/27/2018 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I work with elderly people. I have run across a few residents on their 80s and 90s that have the prettiest of skin. Each one I asked showed me this product in their rooms. They told me they have been using it since they were kids and it’s the “secret weapon” to beautiful skin for life. I have been using this for many of years now. I get compliments often about my skin and how beautiful and smooth it looks. I truly know that it’s this moisturizer! Also, my boyfriend has flakey skin on his face. I asked him to give this lotion a try. When he uses it religiously, his skin does not flake. When he stops using it, it flakes. I SWEAR by this stuff!!! Most people pass it up because the packaging is not the prettiest. BUT!! It’s what is inside that truly counts!

Love this stuff! I have combination skin that is maturing (I’m 41) and this cream really keeps my skin hydrated, plump looking and doesn’t break me out at all. I use this in the evening in conjunction with tea tree oil on the areas I tend to break out and haven’t had a better looking complexion. I have spent so much money over the years on skin care, anti-aging, etc. and I’m so happy to find such an effective product that is so inexpensive too. Sometimes it’s better to keep it simple. Also, while some people think it smells like old lady, I think the scent is mild and soothing.

on 1/23/2014 12:23:00 PM

My mother used this product all her life and has lovely skin. I use it along with ponds cold creme every night and it leaves my skin clean and soft. I put the cream on all my face and neck at night and morning before I put my makeup on. Wait a little bit, then apply your makeup. Feel the difference. You will never buy anything else.

on 12/12/2011 12:49:00 PM

HG Status, being the very best product to give that glow and hydrate my face. After trying all those ridiculously expensive products, I feel like a fool. I layer this over a serum that suits my skins needs and apply over, down my neck and on hands. Will NEVER be without. Perfect for removing eye makeup and use as an eye cream!

on 10/12/2011 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I've been using Pond's Dry Skin cream for the past three years now, and I can honestly say that I will never go back to any other moisturizer, or try any others, because this is HG status for me. I have very dry, sensitive, and sometimes acne-prone skin, and this is the only thing that has worked for me. Other moisturizers, like Cetaphil and Clinique, just sit on top of my skin without sinking in and hydrating it. This does everything it's supposed to do, and I use it as a base for makeup (since I've just accepted the fact that I'm allergic to silicone, so therefore I'm allergic to most face primers that are on the market). I do find that it is easy to put on too much, making your face look like an oil slick. It doesn't matter how dry your skin is: it is very easy to use too much of this stuff. This isn't something you should just slap onto your face and rub in, unless you're applying it generously and then going to bed. My method is picking up some of the cream, rubbing my hands together first, and then apply it to the outside of my face (towards the hairline, and neck) and blend inwards. Amazing, affordable product that I will continue to use for many years to come. The smell is very pleasant too. It's a clean, powdery scent.
EDIT 8/29/2012 - Cetaphil has replaced this as my HG moisturizer. My skin isn't nearly as dry as it was before, and I knocked Pond's down to a 3 because it was clogging my pores terribly and it just became too heavy for me to wear on a daily basis.